Main Menu

Sovtek Mig 50

Started by chille01, July 04, 2011, 10:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chille01

What's the verdict?  I hear "poor man's Plexi" a lot, which is also what my Traynor YBA-1 is supposed to be.  If I happened to have a line on a Mig 50 for $450 CND asking, with all the cheap plastic pots and jacks already swapped out - am I gaining anything drastic or different over the Traynor?

Cheers!

Slow

The Canadian dollar is currently fucking up the dollar No?

450 is steep for a mig. 300 is the sweet spot for those.

The Mig50 is more the "Angry Bassman" than a plexi..
black aspirin: "Well, I started to talk about dogmatism, but by the time I finish this sentence, you will have probably re-defined it, so what's the point in using words at all?  And by 'words', I obviously meant 'pigeons'."

Mike_Sims

My buddy has one. I've never played a real vintage plexi, but the Migs (older ones) sound pretty f'n good!

Baltar

I had a 50, it was closer to a Bassman.  Jor el has the 60, and it has the 34's in it and is more like an 800 than a true Plexi.  The 100's are more like a Marshall too.  My buddy in Detroit has a Traynor YVM-1, Voice Master and he had one of the channels modded to a Plexi circuit, one like a Fender, Vox, etc.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Slow

The 100H, 100, and 100B are pretty much modeled after each respective version of the JCM800... 100B is The Bass 800, 100 is JCM800 etc...

100H is the hotrod...
black aspirin: "Well, I started to talk about dogmatism, but by the time I finish this sentence, you will have probably re-defined it, so what's the point in using words at all?  And by 'words', I obviously meant 'pigeons'."

Jake

I've had a MiG100H, and MiG60, and a JCM800.

Honestly, they're all very, very different sounding amps.
poop.

blackkrosses

Channel (input) 1 is dark, LIKE a bassman. Channel (input) 2 is brighter LIKE a plexi. Keep in mind the average plexi is running el34 tubes and are brighter (bitier?) than the 6l6's (or 5881's) the Sovtek comes with.  If you run a y-splitter into both (or an ab/y box) and blend the channels you get really killer tones. But they do tend to oscillate when cranked. I like the squeal though.

Baltar

Mine had 5881's.  Plates were too hot for the 6V6's.  But you nailed it.  Channel 2 did have more gain and was brighter.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

spookstrickland

I played a Mig100 years ago and it was loud as fuck and had some sweet distortion tones.  I should have bought it but I was searching for a Marshall at the time.  I still regret not buying it.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

doomhawk

your Traynor yba-1 will smoke a Mig 50 any day.  i have had both, still have one of my YBA's and considering your canadian roots... besides you can get a real bassman for 450, without having to upgrade it.

LogicalFrank

Kind of depends what you mean by "real Bassman." Silverface bassmen are considered to be of questionable pedigree at best by Fender aficionados. Not being a Fender affecianado myself, I do like my silverface Bassman quite a lot but its sound is not even remotely on planet plexi to be honest.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

doomhawk

"real bassman for 450" - as in Fender AB165 bassman - blackface and silverface.  superior parts, quality and reliability in most cases.  mig 50's sound nothing like plexi's either.

black_out

Quote from: doomhawk on July 06, 2011, 03:54:23 PM
your Traynor yba-1 will smoke a Mig 50 any day.  i have had both, still have one of my YBA's and considering your canadian roots... besides you can get a real bassman for 450, without having to upgrade it.

Let me know when you stumble across one of those $450 bassman....anymore they seem to be going for more like $700 around these parts.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

blackkrosses

I see silverface bassmans go for $400 all day long.

The blackfaces with break up quicker.

The trouble with bassmans are the 4ohm impedence, if you call that trouble.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: blackkrosses on July 08, 2011, 07:26:26 PM
The trouble with bassmans are the 4ohm impedence, if you call that trouble.

Impedance matching transformer - $30

blackkrosses

Problem solved.

$430 dollars.

And you can have the silverfaces converted back to blackface specs.