The Jam Room Unsane thread (F yes!)

Started by justinhedrick, July 05, 2011, 11:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

i have really been digging on the unsane album "scattered, smoothered, covered". i love it. the album blood run is really good to (fun fact, there is NO post EQ on the album, it is all soure -> pre -> comp -> tape). sounds good to me!

Slow

Talk about whatcha want, if it starts getting to Zen Disc level of bullshit (which it won't because we're all reasonable in here,) I'll just delete the threads... ya dig?
black aspirin: "Well, I started to talk about dogmatism, but by the time I finish this sentence, you will have probably re-defined it, so what's the point in using words at all?  And by 'words', I obviously meant 'pigeons'."

LogicalFrank

I couldn't get into Blood Run. It's good but what I really like about the old Unsane stuff, esp. Scattered, is it gives me this feeling like the whole thing could just go caterwauling out of control at any second, like they all just might just throw down their instruments and start beating the shit out of each other at some random moment. Blood Run has the same kind of sound but it just feels different.

Also, someone should refresh my memory on Dave Curran's bass rig... Love his tone.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

justinhedrick

frank, i think it is just an SVT turned up loud. i might be wrong?

everyone always says that chris spencer uses EMG pickups in his tele, but i don't think that's the case. also, it seems like sometimes he uses a rectifier, sometimes he uses a twin/super reverb and a distortion plus . . . sounds so badass though.

i like how VISCERAL it all is. it's like "yeah, i could get this angry and write this stuff".

Hemisaurus

Quote from: LogicalFrank on July 05, 2011, 01:48:33 PM
Also, someone should refresh my memory on Dave Curran's bass rig... Love his tone.

Plus an amp, sometimes an SVT or whatever and a rack compressor.

justinhedrick

that's awesome hemi. that whole band is pretty ratty sounding.

i'm sure they are loud, i've yet to see them (damn shows in chicago that are during the week!)

Corey Y

Blood Run is one of my favorite albums by any band. Joel from TapeOp, who engineered the record, wrote a good short article about the recording process.

http://www.eqmag.com/article/i-miked-the/sep-05/12826

As for Dave's rig I know he uses a Fender Precision into an Ampeg SVT/810. The pedal board pic Hemi posted is from last year, I think he has used a big box Rat in the past.

Hemisaurus

That's not an SVT he's using there, maybe an SVT-Pro, or a GK or Glockenklang?

and he's using J-Bass Sensors, so I guess it's either a mod'd P or a J

justinhedrick

i hope i'm as cool as chris spencer when i'm 40 something. how that guy can even speak after screaming for an hour a night for 23 years is beyond me.

Jake

Funny, because I've been listening to Unsane a bunch lately too. What a great band with great songs recorded in such a way that is able to often capture their live pummeling. I'm aslo a huge fan of the Visqueen album. The Last Man Standing is one of the heaviest songs ever made.

Have you guys checked out their Coextinction Records site? I almost started a thread about ot a little while ago, recognizing their unique approach to the "record label" concept. Good stuff om there.

http://www.coextinction.com/Artists.php?ArPg_Main.html
poop.

spookstrickland

Talking about music here is a great idea.  How about some links of said songs so I can check them out :)

Cheers
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Corey Y

Last Man Standing is definitely a killer song.

Here Spook...

and...

justinhedrick

Quote from: Jake on July 05, 2011, 05:02:10 PM
Funny, because I've been listening to Unsane a bunch lately too. What a great band with great songs recorded in such a way that is able to often capture their live pummeling. I'm aslo a huge fan of the Visqueen album. The Last Man Standing is one of the heaviest songs ever made.

Have you guys checked out their Coextinction Records site? I almost started a thread about ot a little while ago, recognizing their unique approach to the "record label" concept. Good stuff om there.

http://www.coextinction.com/Artists.php?ArPg_Main.html

visqueen is a great album. it has seriously made me re-think music and what is can/can't be. last man standing is great. i really enjoy d train off of blood run as well, i mean, any song that asserts "get on the fucking train" is ok by me!

Jake

Also a massive, massive fan of anything that is even peripheral Unsane -- JJ Pardise Players Club, Players Club, Cuthroats 9, and PIGS. Hell, even Made Out Of Babies is good stuff.
poop.

Clydesdale

I got a lot of love for Unsane!

Friday night, just cracked a beer, Stereo cranked with Unsane. My usual start to the weekend.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mortlock

dogfood

Problem solving whiskey!

spookstrickland

Quote from: Corey Y on July 05, 2011, 05:28:14 PM
Last Man Standing is definitely a killer song.

Here Spook...

and...

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

VOLVO)))

Been jamming Visqueen since yesterday.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on July 06, 2011, 09:37:29 AM
Been jamming Visqueen since yesterday.

great album. even the artwork is so raw.

RAGER

My friend James has been their main photog for many years.  Took the photos for the artwork you're talking about.  I too love this band mucho.  have heard some good stories.

Don't forget one of Chris' newest projects.  Celan

No Focus Pocus

justinhedrick

Quote from: RAGER on July 06, 2011, 11:33:14 AM
My friend James has been their main photog for many years.  Took the photos for the artwork you're talking about.  I too love this band mucho.  have heard some good stories.

Don't forget one of Chris' newest projects.  Celan

celan is cool, but i can't find any cd's in america. something about legal issues?

anyway, now that you have lifted the lid on stories, you MUST revel us with some.

RAGER

Sorry to tease but a little too close to home. 8)
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

Great band and great guys. Dave is one of the funniest coolest people you'd ever wanna meet.
I saw em not long ago performing all of Scattered. Dave mentioned that he was doing sound for the melvins tour, this was last august.
We occasionally used a rehearsal studio that they would use in brooklyn and one night they were in the room before we were, practicing songs off Scattered. When they were done destroying the place and I walked into the room, I looked at the 57 mic on the stand and it was still dripping huge globs of drool from it. i gotta say its tough to practice after listening to a band like that rehearse, even after swappng out the drooling mic. They are also really nice and supportive to other local bands, we did alot of shows with em  which they helped us get on the bill for. The best times tho were the loft parties they played. Holy crap. Free Unsane show in your buddys brooklyn apartment = heaven. Their music is heavy as hell, wild , seems on the brnk of disaster, but its so tight and controlled and efficient too and most importantly and what i like about the band alot....it has GROOVE...the songs fucking swing. You cant exactly dance to it, more like punch someones face in in time to the music haha...but theres a STRONG groove thats not present in alot of heavy music.

Early unsane was quite a trip also. Charlie was an insane partier, and Pete Shore ...way ahead of his time on bass, a pioneer.
The band would just let their mics and guitars feedback in between songs. SO loud. One of the 3 loudest shows Ive been too (Metallica and Jusitce tour and Dino Jr holding the other two spots).

Scattered was recorded in Minneapolis suposedly during a severe winter. They said they were pretty much locked inside with their labelmates the Cows for weeks...haha. that musta been something.

Heres a better Celan song/video.