Main Menu

That Sounds Like...

Started by Hemisaurus, July 05, 2011, 05:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

insert your favourite tone here...

ever come up with a particular tone, that sounded just like someone elses, but you did it using completely different gear?

tell us about it.

justinhedrick

i don't recreate tone . . . i make my own!  ::)

justJon

OK, here's mine. I didn't do it for this thread, it's just evolved over the years, and I'll tell you all about it.
I've dug John Bonham's snare sound since 1969. He famously always played a Ludwig steel 6 1/2x14 supra-phonic with Emperor batter and Ambassador hazy snare-side heads. I started out chasing that tone using that gear, and decided I really didn't care for the tone I was getting. Finally, a couple of years ago I came across a 8"x14" yamaha Maple snare. I've put Emperor suede heads on the batter, emperor hazy snare-side, and, here's the kicker, Maple hoops for both batter and resonant sides. I cranks that bitch up on both ends like it's a table top, and Voila! I meet or exceed the standard. never heard a better snare tone, basically nails the tone at the start of "Moby Dick" maybe even takes it up a notch.

For those who've requested/suggested it, this is probably the best video of the sound of it. Just the camera mike, but basically, it conveys it pretty well. The wankery, etc, stops and the actual tune starts around 2:00

For a better listen, probably "The Crows," on this page:
http://sandiaman.bandcamp.com/

A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

VOLVO)))

Herb, if you feel like this is getting Zen Disc-y, please voice your opinion... I would like to hear it. From what I see, there's no shit-flinging, and you've pretty much posted the only majorly-off-topic topic here, so far, ya dickhead!  ;D ;D
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Hey, but I labelled it off topic ;D

I figured there might be some tales like justJon's.

I bought a guitar practice amp, for $25 CDN, when I was in Canada, for quiet jamming. With my 5'er, the OD switch on, bass full up, treble full down, sounds a lot lke Dixie Dave's tone on and justice, especially face down on a motel carpet.

I also really dug the bass sounds on Blowin' Cool by Swervedriver, and stumbled across it using my shitty solid state Ampeg, a Dano FAB OD, a 2x15 and the same 5'er, but it was originally done on a tube SVT, with a Sansamp (the guitar one, not the bass driver), but Ampeg and Ampeg, so it don't count :-\

Anyway, Jam Room might need a curmudgeon, so I'm up for the job ;)

Damn kids and their $300 pedals, and their rig photo's, do they ever play them, or just pull their pud over the pics of them :P

VOLVO)))

Kick it, Gran-dad.

I nailed the "Abini tone" with a Squier tele and a JCM800, no pedals.

Played it for HOURS, and once I turned the amp off... it was gone forever. That tone was the tits.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mortlock

i really liked the bass tone on the first kingsnakeroost album. i tried to get the sound and failed miserably..

eyeprod

Dudes, I used to think a lot about sound, and how to get it. I gave it up. Other people are better at that than me. I don't have a good ear for it, but I recognize cool tones when I hear em. Never really was into chasing anyone else's tone in particular, but I do like to mess with effects quite a bit and have gone through quite a few of those and amps. Mainly I dig what I have to work with now, and thoughts are on song ideas. Sometimes I think about other amps or speakers. I like Jon's story. It makes me wanna fuckin hear that snare!
CV - Slender Fungus

Lumpy

I'm going to try it, using only my fingers ;)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

The Shocker

I plugged a guitar into a FZ-2 and into an amp and it sounded like EW.

jibberish

a) im a tone newb
b) see a

and i dont really look to emulate anyone, so i havent really noticed.

IF i was to chase tones, it would be some fu manchu fun stuff, or like FZ's sound on apostrophe.  martin barre's little 3 note thing in passion play and......jimi!!!!!!
also, i watched an allman bros live thing. 2 LP's set on neck pickups...oh baby that sounded sooo nice. i was sold on the neck pickups and have used them ever since(well i use both at times but always the neck)

also, wtf they do on busse woods live holeee shithe

Isabellacat

For heavy riffs, I love the guitar tones of Sabbath's Volume 4 and Helium's The Dirt of Luck album.
Mary Timony's recent guitar tones have been very clean without distortion ,yet the ways she plays still sounds heavy,but I like her guitar tone on Dirt of Luck...nice and fuzzy.

For solos.... Ernie Isley's guitar tone on 'Who's That Lady'...

Drum tones..... the drum sound on the first Black Sabbath album..Fresh Blueberry Pancake too.