Earliest instance of down-tuning...

Started by LogicalFrank, July 07, 2011, 09:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LogicalFrank

A lot of people would say Sabbath but I got that beat by over seventy years. Also sprach Zarathustra had the double bass detuned to C in 1896. Is Strauss the father of heavy metal?
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

mortlock

what the hell are you trying to say..

LogicalFrank

Quote from: mortlock on July 07, 2011, 09:52:21 PM
what the hell are you trying to say..

I just thought it was an interesting bit of trivia. I know some later 20th century composers used some odd tunings and instruments but it never occurred to me that people were doing it before that even. I am sure there examples before what I mentioned as well.

Also Sprach Zarathustra is heavy as balls too so it's pertinent to this forum. The nineteenth is the heaviest century if you ask me. Just look at this shit:

"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

giantchris

Thought Wagner had a special gigantic bass made that required two people to play for some of his pieces.  Although technically that might not be down tuning.  Just a big fuckin contrabass.

mawso

drop D is fairly common in classical guitar

jibberish

well it would have really only been for tuneable string instruments.  that really narrows the field. couldnt downtune the band with th eharpsichord or horns..."ahhh good sir, may i purchaseth cello strings for my lute?"

btw, also sprach is the "2001 theme" for those of you who dont go much beyond sabbath and e wiz etc (which is 99% a good thing anyway) truly a heavy piece.

justinhedrick

there are tons of classical pieces where the guitar is tuned to D, sometimes even C. of course, i am remembering this from when i was 12 and taking classical lessons, so specific song names are escaping me.

I,Galactus

This Iommi/Strauss heavy metal godfather conflict is the kind of thing that can only be resolved by moustache-off:

VS

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

LogicalFrank

justinhedrick

i don't know. i like strauss's "evil cartoon moustache".

Hemisaurus

Strauss looks like a not very butch dyke in that pic, there must be beyter surely, and we should be looking at 70's Iommi, not modern day Iommi.

Hemisaurus

clockwork green

Quote from: giantchris on July 08, 2011, 01:47:51 AM
Thought Wagner had a special gigantic bass made that required two people to play for some of his pieces.  Although technically that might not be down tuning.  Just a big fuckin contrabass.
Wagner was always trying to get as much low-end as possible.

Cello's are already tuned to C and in 5ths so they're natural metal machines.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Hemisaurus

Quote from: clockwork green on July 08, 2011, 03:17:54 PM

Has anyone listened to that? I think the stories around it being made are pretty strange too.

liquidsmoke

Did anyone playing rock do it before Iommi? That is the question.

justinhedrick

Quote from: liquidsmoke on July 08, 2011, 05:28:59 PM
Did anyone playing rock do it before Iommi? That is the question.

link wray.

liquidsmoke

giantchris

Thats a civil war battleship...Think they were called Ironclads.  Just like in the game Civilization.

justinhedrick

Quote from: giantchris on July 09, 2011, 12:21:18 AM
Thats a civil war battleship...Think they were called Ironclads.  Just like in the game Civilization.

yes, they are called ironclads. every time i see one I think of this song:

Jor el

The construction of Detroit's Renaissance Center with Deodato's jazz-funk version of also sprach:

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=h6RlUsi_-ZA
What Would Scooby Do ?

crunkhero

Quote from: giantchris on July 08, 2011, 01:47:51 AM
Thought Wagner had a special gigantic bass made that required two people to play for some of his pieces.  Although technically that might not be down tuning.  Just a big fuckin contrabass.

That was the octobass, built by JB Vuillaume.

Thirty-five dollars and a six pack to my name.

Isabellacat

Quote from: Hemisaurus on July 08, 2011, 04:05:06 PM
Quote from: clockwork green on July 08, 2011, 03:17:54 PM

Has anyone listened to that? I think the stories around it being made are pretty strange too.

I've got that 8-track!!!! Except mine's the Quad version in the red case..

Hemisaurus

Wow! Do you have a player for it too?