Main Menu

formed or joined

Started by mortlock, July 08, 2011, 10:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

have you joined most of the bands youve been in, or have you had a hand in their formation..??

for me , of the 7 bands that i can say were 'real' bands that i was in, i formed 4 and joined 3.

Corey Y

Mostly formed, but I joined the band I'm currently in. It's a nice change of pace being a part of tight knit band but not the driving force, but I'd still like to form a new band as a primary song writer again at some point.

Metal and Beer

Chronologically: Formed, joined, formed, joined, formed, joined, joined...I like both roles
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Lumpy

Formed, joined.

Formed, I went out of my way to make it democratic... keep it fair for everybody. Joined, I'm told what to do, to the point that my amp has been turned down during a show.  ::)

You want more control over your own destiny, it's easier when you where there from the very beginning, IME.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

clockwork green

Quote from: Lumpy on July 10, 2011, 06:37:54 PM
Fo. Joined, I'm told what to do, to the point that my amp has been turned down during a show.  ::)
Oh hell fucking no! That would cause me to drop a spontaneous 20-minute "jazz odyssey" solo or at worst a flying-v harpooning to whomever did that.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

justJon

Quote from: Lumpy on July 10, 2011, 06:37:54 PM
You want more control over your own destiny, it's easier when you where there from the very beginning, IME.

That can be true, but the three bands I've joined over the years, as opposed to being a founding member, we came to an agreement that they were "hiring" me because they liked what I do, not because I'd do what the last guy did, or whatever.

Sometimes that attitude caused me not to be hired in the first place. Interview, audition, then.... But I'm sure I'm happier with the way things went the way it turned out.
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

Pundan

I've never joined, only formed.

Ranbat

Uh, let's see.....joined, formed, joined, formed, formed, formed. I'm currently trying to form yet another band (or two).
Meh :/

bbottom

Discö Rice

Formed. I don't like the idea of joining an existing band unless they're friends of mine or Meatjack is re-forming.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

LogicalFrank

I formed almost all of them but joined one of the bands I'm in now. If I had time, I'd probably join another band to really learn to play bass. It is fun and relaxing to be in bands that you don't have quite as much stake in creatively. "Oh, you didn't like it? NOT MY FAULT!"
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

RAGER

Formed with the exception of one band a couple years ago I joined to play bass for.
No Focus Pocus

Woody

Formed my first and only band in 2002 and am the only surviving member from that line up.

xander face

joined the first one, formed all the rest

none of them have gone anywhere.  maybe i need to join a good band?

RAGER

Quote from: Woody on July 14, 2011, 05:18:18 PM
Formed my first and only band in 2002 and am the only surviving member from that line up.

what happened to the other guys?  Drugs, car/motorcycle accidents, plane/helicopter crashes, pancreatic cancer, aids, syph???  Let's hear it.
No Focus Pocus

MichaelZodiac

Only formed so far, might join a band who have a Master Musicians meets Krautrock thing going with a sax and violin. Their guitarplayer is a huge gear nerd (plays a London City amp through Orange cab) so we have some stuff in common  ;D
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan