Main Menu

Aluminum neck Kramer basses

Started by EddieMullet, July 09, 2011, 05:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieMullet

I have a chance to buy one of these it is a 1979 DMZ4000, anyone ever play one of these?  What are they like, do they sound good and all that stuff.

What I've read on line has some good and some bad, but if anyone here actually owns and plays one, what is it like?

VOLVO)))

I've got a lumie stagemaster imperial. Neckheavy, but a fuckin' lovely bass. Wait until it needs a refret... I'm going to do mine here soon, it's going to be a fuckin' doozy in cost. You may end up having to send it to me.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

A friend of mine had a Kramer bass - don't remember what model. He sold me my first P bass, because he upgraded to the Kramer :)) I bet he regretted that :( The P Bass was stolen a couple years later  >:(

I thought it had an annoying 'ping' sound to it... 'modern' tone with overtones I didn't like. I like more thump or thud. On the positive side, you can get very low action. But I didn't like the sound, the neck dive, the body shape, and I'm not a big fan of natural wood finishes (the coffee table look). It might be a nice bass to have, though, just because it's different.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Corey Y

I have a 450b and it sounds great, very punchy and aggressive. It's heavy as a boat anchor though.

EddieMullet

I got it, it does way a ton and sounds like it would be great for some Big Black or early Voivod type of stuff really harsh sounding.

Once I get some new strings and do a proper set up I'll be able to judge better.