What's hitting the spot for you right now, musically?

Started by lordfinesse, July 13, 2011, 12:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Yeah and I think Kyuss is a giant pile of shit.

Tastes vary.  Could be my age too.
No Focus Pocus

justinhedrick

tastes do vary. also, kyuss is a band where i can't listen to a whole album, but a couple songs every now and again is good.

LogicalFrank

Moondog. Been figuring out the sax parts on this one for guitar:

Also been listening to a lot of classical music: Dvorák, Prokofiev, Stravinsky and Mahler mainly.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

eyeprod

I've been figuring out how to play some songs I dig, so as to help my own songwriting. That's pretty fun right now.
CV - Slender Fungus

Hemisaurus

Sunn called it, I'm starting to go the Thrones route for a while. Trav the freak is building me a studio.

Trav would like me to mention that he's available for construction / home improvement work to anyone in the Central IL / St Louis area.

dogfood

Quote from: Hemisaurus on July 14, 2011, 09:00:55 PM
Sunn called it, I'm starting to go the Thrones route for a while. Trav the freak is building me a studio.

Trav would like me to mention that he's available for construction / home improvement work to anyone in the Central IL / St Louis area.

Is that a...a....a marshmellow?
Problem solving whiskey!

Isabellacat

Jake

Drive By Truckers
Earth
Moon Duo
OFF!
Brass Castle

oh, and the WuTang Clan/Fugazi mashup that's been making the rounds on the innernets.
poop.

peyotepeddler

Quote from: Jake on July 15, 2011, 12:13:26 AM
Drive By Truckers
Earth
Moon Duo
OFF!
Brass Castle

oh, and the WuTang Clan/Fugazi mashup that's been making the rounds on the innernets.

been digging some moon as well

Discö Rice

Melvins (pretty much always)
Sonic Youth (see above)
Oxbow
Drive Like Jehu
Shellac
Daddy's Hands
Yob
Karp
Great Falls
Electric Wizard
Sightings
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Pundan

YOB and Dark Castle, getting ready for the show in Gothenburg in two months.

jibberish

Santana

btw we are talking 1st3 +caravanserai here, nothing else.  his keyboard player is flat out phenomenal and as gifted as carlos is. never really appreciated how much that guy added to all the songs, and the incredible interaction between the entire band, but esp guitar-keyboards

santana does NOT use the same little trick/fill/wank over and over..he has a million of them. CS is way better than i had imagined, and those tunes are timeless

mortlock

indian music..sitar/tabla stuff..ravi shankar and what not..

Volume

The Graveyard album is awesome. I just saw them live. It was at an outdoor felstival, good show, but would probably have been better at a smaller club.

black_out

Quote from: Volume on July 20, 2011, 03:21:27 AM
The Graveyard album is awesome. I just saw them live. It was at an outdoor felstival, good show, but would probably have been better at a smaller club.

what did you go and see them an bonaroo? How many wannabee hippy rich kids did you have to kill? They've been ducking questions about a u.s. tour. I guess I can't really blame them. They live in a place where people actually appreciate good music and they don't have to drive 12 hours between shows to get a decent turn out.

either way.. that new album is fucking solid. Only thing that pisses me off is that somehow my record is warped. Must've come that way, because I take care of my shit, but I noticed it like a month after I got it...not sure if Nuclear Blast would work with me that late in the game.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

aowron

Quote from: black_out on July 20, 2011, 07:35:12 AM
Quote from: Volume on July 20, 2011, 03:21:27 AM

what did you go and see them an bonaroo? How many wannabee hippy rich kids did you have to kill? They've been ducking questions about a u.s. tour. I guess I can't really blame them. They live in a place where people actually appreciate good music and they don't have to drive 12 hours between shows to get a decent turn out.

either way.. that new album is fucking solid. Only thing that pisses me off is that somehow my record is warped. Must've come that way, because I take care of my shit, but I noticed it like a month after I got it...not sure if Nuclear Blast would work with me that late in the game.

Uhm... Sweden is a fucking desert when it comes to Music (think of the general taste as "untz untz untz untz"). Most Swedish stoner/retro/something that doesn't suck bands are almost totally unknown around here (well, Graveyard do though seem to have gotten some attention lately) but such bands do rather generally seem to be more appreciated in Germany/US.

Uhh, and to the question: Bombus really hits the spot for me at the moment; think of it as a more punkish High on Fire. Red Sparrowes are also pretty cool; saw them live a week ago, and it was totally mindblowing.

chille01

Been cranking the Twin Peaks live record by Mountain.  KILLER tones on it, guitar and bass.

From wikipedia, to illustrate the coolness of Mountain:

"West also used a modified Gibson Flying V, with the neck pickup removed (he used the hole for an ashtray)"

yesca

Quote from: chille01 on July 20, 2011, 10:35:43 PM

"West also used a modified Gibson Flying V, with the neck pickup removed (he used the hole for an ashtray)"

ahah that's awesome

lordfinesse

I saw Graveyard at Bonnaroo and they were great. Among my favorites of the weekend. I would rather see them in a club though.
Billy Squier 24/7

Volume

They played at a local festival called Ruisrock on a sunday afternoon. Bummed I didn't go see them earlier this year when they toured Finland, but they didn't come through my town.

black_out

Quote from: Volume on July 21, 2011, 05:39:28 AM

They played at a local festival called Ruisrock on a sunday afternoon. Bummed I didn't go see them earlier this year when they toured Finland, but they didn't come through my town.

oh, gotcha. Didn't realize you were from Finland.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

Mr Neutron

lots of The Flight of Sleipnir
40 Watt Sun
Gillian Welch - the harrow & the harvest
"Where words fail, music speaks."

RnRJanitor

Earth
Neil Young - On the beach
Yawning Man
Solace - AD
Boris - Heavy Rocks
Nick Drake - Pink Moon