Main Menu

Earth Show and Gear

Started by spookstrickland, July 14, 2011, 05:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spookstrickland

I saw Earth in Portland last night.  Great show.  I got a pretty good look at his pedals.  He was using a MXR Dynacomp and some sort of a Boss overdrive pedal I could not make out the name.  He also had some Homemade looking fuzz pedal that was bare finished with some kind of a bird or a Crow stenciled on it. 

Wish I could have got a better look but it was pretty hard to make out in the dark from that angle.

He played through a tiny little Gen Benz head and a little single 12 or 15 loaded cab.

I did get a better look at his guitar that was a squire with what looked like Mini dimarzio humbuckers and a Brass nut.  He had some sort of modded input jack with a switch on it.  I never saw him use the switch so I don't know what it does.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

justinhedrick

well, how was the show?

also, it's squier strat, right?

i always thought he was a fender guy for amps?

xayk

Nice.  I saw Earth in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago, and Dylan was playing Fender Deluxe Reverb (which he also lent to O Paon, who was awesome) and a Strat, which he had some sort of problem with ("never would've happened to a Tele," he quipped.)  The show was amazing - I fanboy'ed a little to Dylan after the show and asked where the Tele's were, and he said one was being kept in Europe for those tours, and the other (two others?) was getting work done to it.

Show also featured The Body w/ the Assembly of Light Choir, which was awesome given the venue.  But The Body gear setup is an entirely different discussion.

spookstrickland

Quote from: justinhedrick on July 14, 2011, 05:50:30 PM
well, how was the show?

also, it's squier strat, right?

i always thought he was a fender guy for amps?

Earth was great! ya a squire strat is what it looked like but might have just been a squire neck. 
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

MichaelZodiac

Saw Earth here in Europe twice a few months ago, definitely played a tele through a fender combo. Not sure which pedals he uses as I couldn't get any closer. It was loud enough though but enough clarity to go with it. I believe I can count the amount of notes he played on both my hands and feet.

The bassplayer (I forgot her name) had a great tone as well. She was using one of those Gen Benz amps I believe.

Sabbath Assembly played as well, guitarist was using the POG pedal alot and also used a combo.

"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

justinhedrick

wow, are combo amps the new drone/doom amp????!!!

MichaelZodiac

I hardly think you can classify Earth as drone/doom anymore, at the second gig I overheard this french speaking biker describing Earth, in English with a huge cliché French accent, as "it's like meditative seventies rock you know", best description I've heard of the new Earth. I mean you can hear where Dylan Carlson is influenced by Tony Iommi's sound, for instance the sound Iommi had on Born Again.

I'm always wondering what kind of gear he used on Pentastar, amp wise I'd say Sunn, maybe a Beta but I'm not completely sure on that. As for the rest, I'm still guessing, he did have one of those great eighties BC rich guitars which have alot of tonal capabilities but still...
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

yesca

all this Earth talk makes me wanna listen to some Earth!

justinhedrick

Quote from: yesca on July 15, 2011, 03:34:20 PM
all this Earth talk makes me wanna listen to some Earth!

do it. to me earth is the perfect fall/winter saturday band. crack a beer, put on the album, and just . . . be.

clockwork green

Just the most frustrating band I can think of. Every album of the country era seems like if they should just take every riff they have and make one great song out it instead boring themes music to spaghetti westerns. I just love some of the elements but it's not spacey enough to pull off 5 minutes of the same riff. Maybe needs Al to play bass...he's the only guy that can properly entertain me a single 30-minute riff.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

yesca

i dig all there stuff from Pentastar and to there new stuff real cool shit brewing.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: clockwork green on July 15, 2011, 04:42:09 PM
Just the most frustrating band I can think of. Every album of the country era seems like if they should just take every riff they have and make one great song out it instead boring themes music to spaghetti westerns. I just love some of the elements but it's not spacey enough to pull off 5 minutes of the same riff. Maybe needs Al to play bass...he's the only guy that can properly entertain me a single 30-minute riff.
Joe Preston?

clockwork green

Yeah, he'd work too. I loved the spacier first half of his set opening for Sleep in SF.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"