Damn! Why'd I wait so long to listen to Mott The Hoople?

Started by The Shocker, July 24, 2011, 04:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

They are totally kicking my ass right now.  One thing about having holes in your music knowledge is finally discovering a band after so many years.

Woody

Mott was a great band. I'm not a big fan of their ballady stuff but when they rock they really kick ass. The double Live CD is awesome. One show with Mick Ralphs and the other is with Ariel Bender. Both killer. If you can find it, track down the live one from 1970 recorded at Fairfield Halls. It was professionally recorded but never released until a few years ago and has a great version of Mountain's "Long Red."

The Dictators do a great version of Mott's "The Moon Upstairs" on their live album, too.

The Bandit

Quote from: Woody on July 26, 2011, 09:54:29 AM
Mott was a great band. I'm not a big fan of their ballady stuff but when they rock they really kick ass. The double Live CD is awesome. One show with Mick Ralphs and the other is with Ariel Bender. Both killer. If you can find it, track down the live one from 1970 recorded at Fairfield Halls. It was professionally recorded but never released until a few years ago and has a great version of Mountain's "Long Red."

The Dictators do a great version of Mott's "The Moon Upstairs" on their live album, too.

I just got the Fairfield Halls show.  It does rock hard.

GodShifter

What's a good studio album to start with? Mott? I know shit about these guys other than what everybody knows (produced by Bowie at one point, Ian Hunter, Mick Ronson, Mick Ralphs, etc).

The Shocker

So far I've liked everything I've heard by them, but All The Young Dudes seems to be a good place to start.  Jerkin' Crocus is a really cool song.  The live stuff is a lot heavier than the studio stuff, which seems pretty typical for that era.

All coming from a Mott The Hoople newbie's perspective...

The Shocker

Couldn't find a live clip of this one:

Here's some early stuff:

GodShifter

Cool. I'll check some of their stuff out.

I've always kind of steered clear of MtH because I never liked "All The Young Dudes" or "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" (but, yeah, that's Ian Hunter). So, I'm right there with you. I'm a zillion years old and, basically, have never heard much of them.

The Shocker

Yeah, was never a big fan of "All The Young Dudes", but I guess I'm mellowing in my old age.  It doesn't bother me that much anymore.

Woody

All The Young Dudes and Mott are probably the best 2 studio tapes to start with. Brain Capers is pretty good, too. Their discography is kinda weird. The first batch of tapes were released by Island and are kinda all over the place. There are some great, kick ass rock songs but a lot of Dlyan-ish stuff, too.

Mott has a pretty interesting history. They were originally produced by Guy Stevens, a well known nut job who also worked with Free, Spooky Tooth and eventually The Clash.

The Bandit

I'm kind of digging the early all over the map stuff and the live stuff. 

lowdaddy

mott the hoople.  i only know what one of those words means.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

CanookieWookie

Imo, Brain Capers is the best album and where you'd want to start.  If you dig it, you'll want to hear more.

The Bandit

Quote from: 10 members on July 28, 2011, 09:58:35 AM
Imo, Brain Capers is the best album and where you'd want to start.  If you dig it, you'll want to hear more.

Brain Capers is excellent.

Let me add that the Angel Air cd reissues are excellent.  Bonus tracks, nice booklets and improved sound.  Libertycaps ain't here to bitch about how his AAA vinyl sounds better so fuck him.   

vinyldinosaurus

vinyldinosaurus

the Mott albums (without Ian Hunter) are pretty decent too...

GodShifter

The Shocker

Quote from: GodShifter on September 20, 2011, 04:48:54 PM
Loving what I'm hearing of Brain Capers so far.
Quote from: willb on July 28, 2011, 09:58:35 AM

The best post Willb's done here on SRlives IMO.

Glad you finally listened to them bro.

GodShifter

Yeah, I need to delve into more, but BC was a great introduction to them.