I'm so fucking sick of...

Started by VOLVO))), July 26, 2011, 10:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

shitty guitar strings. I can't find a set that I like enough to buy a hundred of so I can stop going to fucking Guitar Center every other day for strings. I've frankenstiened sets, I've bought "specialty" sets, I've tried all kinds of shit. Coated, uncoated, colored, thicker gauge, lighter gauge. Nothing sounds good in B, too floppy, not clear enough.

I just ordered a bunch of different shit from juststrings.com, I'm going to go through all of them and see if I find any I like.

.68 -.14 Baritone strings are my prediction for what I'm going to end up wanting. I've got the top 6 of a 7 string set on all of my guitars, right now, and they play like shit, and sound like shit. Fucking sucks. I'm frustrated.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dogfood

tuned down to B?  as in "B"ass?   ;D
Problem solving whiskey!

spookstrickland

When I tune to B or Drop A I like Daddario Chrome Flats 12 to 52 they have been awesome!
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

clockwork green

I've been using D'Addario 14-68's for nearly 10 years in a standard B tuning and I love them. I'll go months without changing them, I can't do that with smaller strings. I was starting to think that I wasn't that picky about strings anymore till I started experimenting with other strings and I just hated their tone. The D'Addario's aren't for everyone but I think there is a good chance they'll work out for you.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

yesca

try bass strings dude! i was rocking a bass string on my low E string playing in B and it lasted me like 2 months compared to my usual 1-2 weeks(if im lucky) with the d addario strings i buy.

VOLVO)))

Long as they give me the desired clarity, im down for them.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mortlock

ive always like d'addario string on my bass. im using medium guage flat wounds now and they have been great. ive used an upright bass bow on them many times with rosin and they still sound great, maybe even better..i think the rosin is the secret..

Jake

I have no other insight besides the fact that I love juststrings.com and buy strings exclusively from them now.
poop.

VOLVO)))

Mortin, bowing the bass sounds half-assed authentic? I have a beater bass i am considering repurposing as a bowed instrument exclusively. It is fretless, also. In othee news, i am cutting the bright cap out of my jcm800.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Worthless Willie

Clipping that brite cap is an excellent move.  I did it on my '81, and it made all the difference.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

RacerX

Quote from: Jake on July 27, 2011, 10:26:57 AM
I have no other insight besides the fact that I love juststrings.com and buy strings exclusively from them now.

Word. Except I wish they'd stop giving me those crappy picks every time I buy something there. Those things are useless.
Livin' The Life.

Pundan

If people wouldn't have talked about that site here, I'd thought "Woah! That's some spam site or it hasn't been redesigned since HTML was invented".

LogicalFrank

I am a Webstrings guy myself. They are cheap and they don't break any more often than I'd like them to. I like a string to break every now and again. You gotta think on your feet. If you can't finish a song w/ a broken string, well, that song is stupid and so is your mom.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

clockwork green

Quote from: RacerX on July 27, 2011, 12:32:01 PM

Word. Except I wish they'd stop giving me those crappy picks every time I buy something there. Those things are useless.
Those things suck...either just skip them or spend the extra nickel for something decent. The only good free pics I've ever gotten were from Dr. Scientist pedals. Lots of shapes, colors and a cool logo.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

mortlock

Quote from: SunnO))) on July 27, 2011, 10:41:15 AM
Mortin, bowing the bass sounds half-assed authentic? I have a beater bass i am considering repurposing as a bowed instrument exclusively. It is fretless, also. In othee news, i am cutting the bright cap out of my jcm800.
it really does but you're limited at what you can do. since there isnt a curved fretboard like on an upright its hard to attack the strings properly. i run my bass through a bunch of fx and bow it. i can make some pretty cool whale sounds.

i was shredding bow hairs for awhile until i got smart and switched from rounds to flats and started to use rosin.

blackkrosses

Tried the Dunlop "heavy-cores"? I don't use them but they are supposed to have a thicker core for more clarity in low tunings. I know they make them in 12's, not sure if that is the heaviest though.

Worthless Willie

Do you buy the name brand sets, or the juststrings strings?
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

VOLVO)))

68-14, unmatched clarity, a lot to grab, sounds kickass with fuzz, distortion, overdrive, and most of all, in open A, clean... it's awesome.

fuck yeahhh. Had to file out a few nuts, my tele and SBG200.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

Quote from: Worthless Willie on July 30, 2011, 05:40:58 PM

Do you buy the name brand sets, or the juststrings strings?

Earnie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom
poop.

blackkrosses

Quote from: SunnO))) on July 30, 2011, 05:45:31 PM
68-14, unmatched clarity, a lot to grab, sounds kickass with fuzz, distortion, overdrive, and most of all, in open A, clean... it's awesome.

fuck yeahhh. Had to file out a few nuts, my tele and SBG200.

14's on a tele. Day-um. What a mighty grip you must have. Though, I suppose you're down tuned.....still...

VOLVO)))

I haven't played a guitar with anything under 12's in forever... I'd probably bend two steps when meaning to bend one..

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Riffer

Quote from: blackkrosses on July 29, 2011, 06:17:59 PM
Tried the Dunlop "heavy-cores"? I don't use them but they are supposed to have a thicker core for more clarity in low tunings. I know they make them in 12's, not sure if that is the heaviest though.
I use these, tune B standard on an LP. Best I've found yet.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

liquidsmoke

Speaking of coated strings, do any of you like any brands besides Elixir? They don't make anything between 56 and 68 and I'm looking for something around 60. I want to go a little thicker but hate string squeak and changing strings often which is what I read you have to do with coated strings that aren't Elixirs.

Metal and Beer

From the You Ain't Gonna Wanna Hear This dept:  All* steel strings are the fucking same. Look elsewhere to solve your dilemma, grasshopper.

* In my long experience. LOLpinions ! Anecdotes ! LOLs!

Hey, it's Logical Frank !
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

liquidsmoke

Elixir Nanowebs squeak a lot less than nickel plated strings. They sound darker but I'm okay with that.