Main Menu

I bought a Model T

Started by VOLVO))), August 21, 2011, 03:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grimniggzy

The red knob ones are 2nd gen right?

NoSleepTilSleep

To the best of my knowledge the 2nd gens have a baxandal tone circuit for the mid knob (which also has a 3-way frequency switch under the pot for boosting or cutting).

I have a 2nd gen Model-T and a Verellen clone of a first gen... once they're up loud enough, no one's telling the difference to be honest.

Here's a site where a dude details his conversion back to a 1rst gen, but it all sounds really subjective. I've seen Wino with both types and he sounded like Wino regardless, same with Boris.. the bass player had both models sitting on one bass cab.

http://www.angelfire.com/blog/sunnmodelt/

VOLVO)))

Ill be cutting that wire going to the master volume. I want my full range, damn it!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: NoSleepTilSleep on August 25, 2011, 11:49:34 AM
To the best of my knowledge the 2nd gens have a baxandal tone circuit for the mid knob (which also has a 3-way frequency switch under the pot for boosting or cutting).

Haven't looked at schematics for either, but Baxandall's are Bass / Treble shelving controls as used on Orange and Matamp (and early Ampegs and probably others too), a Baxandall mid sounds like an oxymoron.

NoSleepTilSleep

Quote from: Hemisaurus on August 25, 2011, 03:12:00 PM

Haven't looked at schematics for either, but Baxandall's are Bass / Treble shelving controls as used on Orange and Matamp (and early Ampegs and probably others too), a Baxandall mid sounds like an oxymoron.

Or just a "me moron", I should stick to the ethos of not giving technical aid before noon... you're probably right.

Hemisaurus

Like I say, haven't seen a schematic, it's possible to have a Baxandall tone stack, and add on a mid control as a second stage, but that would be kind of odd.

justinhedrick

i think some people use the term "baxandall" interchangeably with "active". i've literally heard techs who should know better do this . . . no, no, that mesa you worked on last week was not a baxandall, i would bet you my left nut and my first born.

i always liked the IDEA of baxandall tone stacks. but a graphic EQ basically makes htem obsolete, no?

Slow

Needs a cleaning, but it sounds so good between 1-2, because that's all I can get it to in the house.
black aspirin: "Well, I started to talk about dogmatism, but by the time I finish this sentence, you will have probably re-defined it, so what's the point in using words at all?  And by 'words', I obviously meant 'pigeons'."

VOLVO)))

IT'S T TIME.

post-master volume mod.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Blueberry Lazer

GREAT GOBS OF UNHOLY MAGMA!! She's a beauty.

Hemisaurus

Finally you bought one made the right way ;)

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Hemisaurus on August 28, 2011, 11:25:11 PM
Finally you bought one made the right way ;)

It's pretty inside there, Herb. You'd be proud. I cleaned and retensioned the tube sockets, and looked for suspect joints, and all of that. It's so nice...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bitter

pardon my ignorance, but what was the reason for the MV mod?
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

At_Giza

I'm so jelus. Though not supar jelus. I want a silver knob, but these days I'd settle for far less than that just to have the tone those things offer. Oh well, until I get jobbage again I will set my sights on, well, nothing until then. Heh.

Slow

Aw, Hal, you buy so much shit whilst unemployed though. Did the 200S make it there okay? I wouldn't want to break up the Sonaro/200s combo... probably sounds like heaven... if they played Goatsnake all the time.
black aspirin: "Well, I started to talk about dogmatism, but by the time I finish this sentence, you will have probably re-defined it, so what's the point in using words at all?  And by 'words', I obviously meant 'pigeons'."

At_Giza

Yeah, I know, and I'll probably end up flipping the stuff just as fast. I do need the money. I'll probably enjoy the combo for a month or two, maybe longer (depending on if Worker Retraining and Unemployment funding can be had), then flip them to pay for shit. The 200S is probably going to be here tomorrow, that way I can finally string 'em together to see how they belt.

I just bought an Acoustic 150 with an either 106 or 109 2x15 cab just for the cab. I'm going to flip the 150 immediately because I've already previously owned one (the only Acoustics I really would like to have right now are a 270, 370, and 470, but I'll get them when I actually have income). I want to run the Sonaro and 200S through that cab due to the fact that it's actually supposed to be a bass cab. I am sure that it will be able to give the sound that I want to have. I would love to sell the Sonaro and 200S as a package. I think, since they are basically the same amp, that they compliment each other very nicely.

I wish I had income, because I would keep all this stuff, and then on top of that buy the amp I was discussing about with Ben Verellen, and a Model T on top of that. Then I would be done with gear for awhile. I hate that I have to flip so much stuff so fast, it's irritating. I don't want to sell anything. TnT

Ah well, at least there is some cathartic value in the fact that I helped pay for that Model T right up there. xD

Slow

Yep, it's pretty amazing, dude. Couldn't have bought it without you.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: NoSleepTilSleep on August 25, 2011, 04:31:04 PM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on August 25, 2011, 03:12:00 PM

Or just a "me moron", I should stick to the ethos of not giving technical aid before noon... you're probably right.
Nope, I owe you an apology. The first generation, according to the schematic is a standard Fender/Marshall Bass/Mid/Treble tone stack. According to that link Sunn posted, the second generation changed the tone stack, and it's a Baxandall Bass / Treble shelving, and then another tube stage and the Mid control is a separate entity in itself.

Pundan

Quote from: SunnO))) on August 28, 2011, 11:13:19 PM
IT'S T TIME.
I guess I should say it happened then! ;). Both looks and sound awesome, super jealous. What was that loop pedal you played around with, you had a great groove going on there.

Slow

Nothin' fancy, I use it to record noise and shit so I have time to tune when playing live...

justinhedrick

what are your settings on that amp? also, what distortion pedal are you using?