best sounding high gain solid state guitar amps for metal?

Started by liquidsmoke, August 29, 2011, 01:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Y

I've got an SS-150 I'd consider selling. I think I listed it on here before, but I've been trying to sell it locally so I wouldn't have to ship it. Personally I like running a Tubescreamer into the clean section cranked over the gain channel, but it is a good amp.

The Tech21 Trademark amps are good too. I used to have one of the combos and I used it a lot over 10 years. Although the cleans do sound a lot better than the distortion compared to tube amps, if you already want solid state distortion I would put it towards the top of the heap. Tech21 knows their stuff, they don't make lemons. The 300 is just 3 identical 100 what amps that you can set differently and switch between. They do discontinue stuff that stops selling or that becomes redundant if they're going to put out something new, so I wouldn't be scared off by it being discontinued.

mutantcolors

...and if you aren't sold on that tone by the 3rd note, IDK what to say.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: moose23 on May 04, 2012, 02:49:35 PM
If you're liking the tight metal would you not just pick up a solid state power amp, you'd make Hemi and myself happy.

Well I did a few hours ago only it's housed in a guitar amp head  ;D

Laney GH-120 & "ARG-412-S-1" that Google tells me is a Bogner.

This amp has no pure clean channel. The cleaner of the 2 goes in and out after playing the amp for awhile, this didn't happen when I test played it. The more gainy channel sounds like a shitty version of the GH tube head and will not be usable for me although it doesn't cut out at all. TightMetal into the effects in in the back sounds fine although I will need to get an eq pedal or preamp of some sort to use it that way for more tone shaping. Having a guitar head sitting on a cab looks neat. A couple of the screws are a tad rusty but this amp looks like it's never been gigged with despite it's age.

The cab is a 4x12 slant with front mounted speakers that have metal grill coverings. I took one out to find that it's particle board and the speakers have nothing printed on them. It sounds fine but breaks up more than I would like at higher volumes.

If I could have spent 2 hours at the dude's house messing around with this half stack I probably would have passed on it but that's how this goes sometimes. He wanted to sell the cab with the head so I figured fuck it. I didn't have a big desire for a 4x12 and don't need it but why not.

Looks like I'm buying Corey's SS-150. When it rains it pours.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 04, 2012, 02:55:39 PM
Ill run a metal zone through a 600 watt poweramp tonight. We'll see what's up.

I've owned 2 metalzones and don't like them but if you tweak it right it could work. You should try some other pedals with the power amp.

Quote from: mutantcolors on May 04, 2012, 04:24:40 PM

Sounds good. I've heard good things about those amps although I'm on a pure SS quest right now.

Hemisaurus

Use a bass amp and be done with it. If you can't find a power amp you like.

mutantcolors

Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 04, 2012, 06:56:32 PM

Sounds good. I've heard good things about those amps although I'm on a pure SS quest right now.

That's what I'm saying. I am fairly sure they/he used SS Marshalls.

Hemisaurus

You live in Madison, that's like a used gear mecca, wtf.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: mutantcolors on May 04, 2012, 09:33:51 PM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 04, 2012, 06:56:32 PM

That's what I'm saying. I am fairly sure they/he used SS Marshalls.

Tube preamp I believe.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 04, 2012, 09:50:25 PM
You live in Madison, that's like a used gear mecca, wtf.

Not so much. We've got Guitar Center, Greg's, and Craigslist at this point. That's about it.

I'll have an SS-150 next week.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 04, 2012, 09:24:33 PM
Use a bass amp and be done with it. If you can't find a power amp you like.

A dirt pedal through a bass amp into beefy guitar speakers could be really awesome actually. All the low end one would ever need. This would be mega heavy. I will try my TightMetal through my Sansamp bass pedal into the effects in of the SS Laney and see what happens. I don't imagine the amp will care either way and the Swamp Thangs should be okay.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

modded metal zone? I've heard you talk a lot about metal zones. what kind of mod are you doing?
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

liquidsmoke

The Sansamp sounds pretty good after the TightMetal although the low knob on that unit is of course geared more towards bass and lacks some of the low mids which work better for guitar. For effects loop return playing I think that larger MXR eq pedal would work better. I'll see how things go with the Ampeg SS-150. I have a good feeling.   8)

I've heard good things about the Keeley MZ.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Discö Rice on May 05, 2012, 03:14:34 PM
modded metal zone? I've heard you talk a lot about metal zones. what kind of mod are you doing?

Metal zone = total tone sucking piece of shit. It's a garbage pedal.

Modded metal zone = usable and makes non-metal amps... metal.

It's basically the Keeley MZ, but I finally found a kid who play drums like a demon, and wants to play some hardcore/death metal. We jammed today, I got to use a pointy guitar, and a Model T in the same band practice.

blisssss

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 05, 2012, 04:54:40 PM
Cool. Using the POG for that?

too muddy for the POG, lots of trem picking and whatnot.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 05, 2012, 05:16:24 PM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on May 05, 2012, 04:54:40 PM
Cool. Using the POG for that?

too muddy for the POG, lots of trem picking and whatnot.

Ah so the POG does have it's limitations then. I meant 2 amps of course.

VOLVO)))

I mean, lower tunings always fuck up octave pedals, no matter what.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 05, 2012, 05:54:23 PM
I mean, lower tunings always fuck up octave pedals, no matter what.

Ah. Even with thick strings for a tight sound? Is it the chords that octave pedals have a hard time with? I think I've heard of octave pedals for bass.

Hemisaurus

The octaver on my Ashdown tracks my 5 string all the way down and past. I think they may sell it as a separate pedal.

Yep.

liquidsmoke

So I'm confused. Low notes are okay but not low chords? There isn't that much difference between a low E chord on a standard tuned guitar and a low B chord on a 7 string or B tuned guitar.

Discö Rice

Chords tend to jack those things up. It's not limited to low chords, though.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

liquidsmoke

"It's just an amp, for fuck's sake, if you don't like the sound, turn one of the knobs, and quit crying about it on the internet."

Whoa, uh, sorry, dude.

VOLVO)))

The POG tracks awesome, but it just doesn't go low very well. In D standard? Fuck yeah, will play chords and do everything proper, but it's essentially a bass. Any lower, and playing power chords low will just mud out... just like a bass.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

I recommend that you turn one of the knobs and quit crying about it on the internet  ;D