the scene givith and the scene taketh away

Started by mortlock, September 12, 2011, 09:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

scene politics can really work in your favor or not depending on the status of things in your town..fuck. right now im playing defense and getting my ass kicked..

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Hemisaurus

Least you have a scene, here you play Van Halen and Nickelback covers to drunk rednecks and govt. workers, or punk to under 21 kids.

But hey, got your health, right ;D

Instant Dan

I thought Austin could be bad with politics, Houston is just as bad. Most are classic blues rock cover bands, the other half being kids under 18 wanting to be The Strokes or next tight pants bands. Hell getting a band going is like getting a job, it's all about who you know and performed with.

Chovie D

politics? what are you guys talking aboot? you mean when like 3 bookers run the entire town and you have to kiss their ass to get any gig? that kind of thing?

justinhedrick

Quote from: Instant Dan on September 13, 2011, 11:04:37 AM
I thought Austin could be bad with politics, Houston is just as bad. Most are classic blues rock cover bands, the other half being kids under 18 wanting to be The Strokes or next tight pants bands. Hell getting a band going is like getting a job, it's all about who you know and performed with.

i agree with this completely. and the town i live in only has 100,000 people in it!

spookstrickland

Sounds exactly like Portland.  Most adds say 18 to 20 something.  The only opportunity for 30+ year olds is Buttrock Tribute Bands :-(
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

justinhedrick

Quote from: spookstrickland on September 14, 2011, 04:01:21 PM

Sounds exactly like Portland.  Most adds say 18 to 20 something.  The only opportunity for 30+ year olds is Buttrock Tribute Bands :-(

no stoner/doom bands up there?

i will say this about champaign: it seems like the people who are in their late 20s/30s and in some cases 40s are having a hell of a lot more fun making music that the kids who are in their early 20s.

i believe it was matt pike who said 30 is the new 20. rock. ballz.

Discö Rice

Quotei believe it was matt pike who said 30 is the new 20. rock. ballz.

Fuck yes it is.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Chovie D

this is what every performance based entertainment field is like even on amatuer levels. art, drama, acting, it helps to knowe the movers and shakers.

Its always about who you know and what can you do for THEM.
Either you can put 100 asses in seats or you know the booker. preferably both.

the diddler

yep, and if you know the booker from 20 years back with some not-so-fond shared memories, well.... enjoy playing tues. nights to 7 fuckers and a bartender

SpaceTrucker

The scene giveth(coke and dope) the scene dropeth(when addicted to said coke and dope). ;D

mortlock

Quote from: Discö Rice on September 14, 2011, 06:00:36 PM
Quotei believe it was matt pike who said 30 is the new 20. rock. ballz.

Fuck yes it is.
yeah well 40 is the new 30..

Hemisaurus

I'd say 16, judging from the 40+ year olds I know ;D

spookstrickland

Quote from: justinhedrick on September 14, 2011, 04:08:09 PM

i will say this about champaign: it seems like the people who are in their late 20s/30s and in some cases 40s are having a hell of a lot more fun making music that the kids who are in their early 20s.

there are a few but the scene is very cliquish and snobby.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

RAGER

Quote from: spookstrickland on September 15, 2011, 02:27:52 PM
Quote from: justinhedrick on September 14, 2011, 04:08:09 PM

there are a few but the scene is very cliquish and snobby.

Spook again you're clueless.  Every scene is cliquish for fuck sakes.  there is healthy and thriving heavy underground scene in Portland.  Always has been.  Just stay in the couve dude.  It's more your pace.
No Focus Pocus

Discö Rice

The key to breaking into those cliques/scenes is to be way better than the bands that are already in them. Then they come to you. Not as hard as it sounds.

Hemisaurus

I always found that just pisses them off, and they hate you even more ;)

Conform, or play somewhere your appreciated. Option #2 is easier on the soul.

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Hemisaurus

Getting all philosophical, I wonder if this is why the music scene in the UK changes more rapidly and is more fad based. Not downplaying the UK scene lots of good musical styles came from there. But you're never more than a days drive from anywhere, well unless your north of Inverness, and heading for Brighton or something.

Over here, a days drive (like 10 hours, not 24) can get you across Nebraska, if you're lucky, what is with Nebraska man, yike.

Anyway the scene here is like an isolated cess-pool of hell ;D

Discö Rice

Pissy

Quote from: Discö Rice on September 15, 2011, 05:56:00 PM
The key to breaking into those cliques/scenes is to be way better than the bands that are already in them. Then they come to you. Not as hard as it sounds.

I'm totally down with Disco here. It's especially great to expose kids that know little more than post-garage rock to the heavy in a manner that grabs them, and possibly converts them. You know who can do this?  Floor can do this. I've seen it.
Vinyls.   deal.

Danny G

Austin has so many bands and awesome players that it's hard to make a name for yrself. But there is also a lot of mutual respect because there are so many awesome players it keeps u humble and real, makes u step up yr game or step aside. Only politics I've run into were club owners or 2nd rate players with a big ego. And big egos do not fare well there. People are cool. If u are not cool, it will hinder u.

As for the aforementioned age thing, depends on what the band is looking for. A lot of young business minded hungry bands aren't into old fat dudes. Gettin old (37 today) but still skinny (thank god for shitty pay). Got that going for me, heh!
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

liquidsmoke

edit: fixed. The bit of brownie I ate does not approve of what I previously typed here.

Mike_Sims