the scene givith and the scene taketh away

Started by mortlock, September 12, 2011, 09:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mawso

This is a reasonably big city (about 4m) - but the musician scene is pretty close knit.

There are plenty of guys who really rate themselves, because they are booking door deal gigs on Friday nights at some mid-level venues.  They act like they're breathing a different air to you, and if they choose to pay you attention they seem to think their very thoughts can control your destiny.

Then there are a few guys who are in bands that have actually made a bit of a name for themselves internationally, and they have toured europe and america etc, and they are pretty much the nicest, friendliest, most laid-back, most down-to-earth dudes you could ever hope to run into.

Danny G

Quote from: mawso on September 21, 2011, 09:31:36 AM
There are plenty of guys who really rate themselves, because they are booking door deal gigs on Friday nights at some mid-level venues.  They act like they're breathing a different air to you, and if they choose to pay you attention they seem to think their very thoughts can control your destiny.

Then there are a few guys who are in bands that have actually made a bit of a name for themselves internationally, and they have toured europe and america etc, and they are pretty much the nicest, friendliest, most laid-back, most down-to-earth dudes you could ever hope to run into.

The difference between talking the talk and walking the walk.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

RAGER

Exactly!!  Red Fang. super uber cool dudes.  look what their summer was like.  Holy shit balls.
No Focus Pocus

clockwork green

"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

mortlock

apparently it was killer..im sure it was better than mine..although mine wasnt bad..i just hate the hot weather..

mawso

Quote from: Danny G on September 21, 2011, 05:29:02 PM
Quote from: mawso on September 21, 2011, 09:31:36 AM

The difference between talking the talk and walking the walk.

I guess if you've done some of that cool shit and lots people know you already, then you really don't need to act like you're top shit?

But also, I'm sure a lot of these guys go on to do cool things just because people are that much happier to help them or to give them a shot.  I mean, the guys in Airbourne for instance are always out at the local rock clubs and pubs when they're not on tour, and they're just some of the friendliest and most laid back dudes around.  No rock star attitude at all.  And if you saw them at some crappy pub gig 5 years ago, they'll remember you from it and come up and talk to you and ask how you're going.  I'm pretty sure part of the reason they went on to play Wacken and support Motorhead etc is just because you come away from talking to those guys thinking "shit, what a great bunch of dudes, I hope good shit happens to them".