something simple: EQ settings on your amp

Started by justinhedrick, September 15, 2011, 03:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

how do you guys set your EQ? i want to explore some new tones.

i have my amp (peavey VTM 60) set up like this:

Low 6 (or 7)
Mid 5 (or 6)
high 4
prescence : 3 or 4

Hemisaurus

If you. want to explore TURN THE KNOBS you need help wit that? ::)

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 15, 2011, 03:46:22 PM

wait . . . do i turn them to the left, or the right?  :-\

Discö Rice

I tend to go for a more  snarly tone for guitar - Mid between 8 and 10, Treble between 6 and 8, bass usually at 5.

Bass is a little more complicated.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Chovie D

differnt amps have difernt tone stacks right?
Like on a fender the treble knob juts removes bass or some shit no?

Id say its highly dependent on your individual amp and as Hemis suggested a little knob turning is in order.

yesca

hmmm everything really sounds the same on my Laney AOR maybe its cause im always tuned to b-flat and that ive needed to change my tubes for about 2 months i don't even remember what it use to sound like

Hemisaurus

Quote from: justinhedrick on September 15, 2011, 04:18:39 PM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 15, 2011, 03:46:22 PM

wait . . . do i turn them to the left, or the right?  :-\
They go both ways, unless you have Laney, then they go in and out as well.

SpaceTrucker

I got a vtm120, and for guitar, I go,(with a stratcopy) low, 2-3, Mid 10, high 2 presence 2 or 3. and turn low dip switches on, and mid on(up) keep comp off and the last treble(the one that lowers the frequency where the presence starts) on. It cops that matamp sound a little better. Low input, gain at 10 both gain switches on.

explore those dip switches, they totally change the character of that amp.  

but try that, and play funk 49. For bass I use the same dip switches I just have bass on 7-8 mid 10 treble around 6 or 7 Presence slightly higher at 4-6.Low input both gain switches on.

Its the sweet spot for me. Also, that low gain input allows alot more lows in.

SpaceTrucker

I want one of those laneys. Goddam those boosts are evil.

yesca

the boost is indeed very cool i usually have the mids boosted. i mess around with the bass boost but i feel like its gonna blow my 4x12 cab up with my normal settings and just having the bass boost on

justinhedrick

Quote from: SpaceTrucker on September 15, 2011, 04:54:34 PM
I got a vtm120, and for guitar, I go,(with a stratcopy) low, 2-3, Mid 10, high 2 presence 2 or 3. and turn low dip switches on, and mid on(up) keep comp off and the last treble(the one that lowers the frequency where the presence starts) on. It cops that matamp sound a little better. Low input, gain at 10 both gain switches on.

explore those dip switches, they totally change the character of that amp.  

but try that, and play funk 49. For bass I use the same dip switches I just have bass on 7-8 mid 10 treble around 6 or 7 Presence slightly higher at 4-6.Low input both gain switches on.

Its the sweet spot for me. Also, that low gain input allows alot more lows in.

hmm. at this point i only have the "low 1" switch engaged. i didn't realize the last treble switch messed with the prescence knob. that's good to know because that thing gets spikey!

i go low gain input all the way as well. i usually run my master at 3 or clock (or wide open) and my pre gain at 5 or 6. 

Hemisaurus

I have the AOR schematic somewhere, you night be able to fit a boost, though I'm thinking Peavey probably PCB mounted pots, may be a little trickier. :o

SpaceTrucker

^dude, I think the whole damn amp is pcb mounted.

If I get a few bucks(yeah right) I'll bmail you about hotrodding the thing.
I want a simple matamp mstrvm turret-board amp. maybe with some kind of built in effect.

and call it the fatamp. :)

Hemisaurus

Quite a few, well a fair few, new sockets, new pots, new turretboard, new components. Would you EL-34 it, at a guess if I could get the plate voltage high enough the transformer should be good for EL34's too.

VOLVO)))

On My 800: Bass:10 Mids: 10 Treble: 0 Presence: 0

on my T: bass:5 Mids: 7 Treble: 7 Presence: 3
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

lordfinesse

Low - up there a bit, Mid - kinda up there too, Hi - not so much, Volume - pretty high. No presence knob.
Billy Squier 24/7

Volume

Orange Overdrive

FAC - 0 (first click or whatever you call it)
Bass - Almost all the way up, 4-5 o'clock
Treble - 1-2 o'clock
Presence - around 1 o'clock
Gain - as high as they'll let me  ;)
Master - All the way!

Every now and then I'll experiment with turning the master down a bit and upping the gain.

SpaceTrucker

I can't handle my vtm up past 5 or 6, but I'm afraid the tubes will blow. I know their on their way out so I'm babying it.

also hemi, I just realized how far away you are, and it wouldn't make sense spending over 100$ to get my amp their and back. But, if I get a great job. and got the cash, You are the first person I will go to before I think about buying a new tube head.

RacerX

Mesa 50/50 (no tone controls)

Channel A (into 1968 Sunn 4x12 w/ original spkrs): Volume 10, Presence 10.

Channel B (into Avatar 2x12 w/ G12H30s): Volume between 4 & 6, presence between 3 & 6 depending on the room.
Livin' The Life.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SpaceTrucker on September 16, 2011, 02:33:34 PM
I can't handle my vtm up past 5 or 6, but I'm afraid the tubes will blow. I know their on their way out so I'm babying it.

also hemi, I just realized how far away you are, and it wouldn't make sense spending over 100$ to get my amp their and back. But, if I get a great job. and got the cash, You are the first person I will go to before I think about buying a new tube head.
I'm starting to wonder about branding, rather than touring.

Would people rather see Hemisaurus the band, or own Hemisaurus the amp ???

liquidsmoke

Laney GH50L

bass 10
mids 3-4
treble 3-4
presence 0
gain 10
gain 10
METAL!
practice volume 2.5-3
solo volume usually between 1 and 1.5 unless I feel like ripping it up for a few minutes

The GH doesn't have the pull knob boosts. If I wanted more bass I'd just use an eq pedal.

Aside from how it breaks up way too soon it's a great amp. I'm fixing that problem now by slaving it into a solid state amp.

Baltar

Bogen CHB-50
Bassman circuit

Pre-7
Master -5
Bass-5
Treble-10

It's woofy even through 4x10's.  My MKII is bright too.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Metal and Beer

I like a lot of bass, almost as much midrange, a sprinkle of treble/presence, alot of pre/gain and a lot of poweramp (exact mileage varies from amp-to-amp, etc.)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

SpaceTrucker

hemi, I'd like to see both. But you should start building amps. Your a very knowledgeable person on the electronic front. Who wouldn't want to play thru a hemi? the hemi raptor(small combo), the hemi allisoar(100watt amp) and the hemi T REX! (the svt eater.) You could post clips called bites.

Man the possibilities are endless.

beardofcthulhu

VTM 60.  My eq settings are all over the map, depending on what mood I'm in.  Right now I have a pretty good chunky thrash thing going on.  mod settings:  Gain1, Gain2, Comp, Low1, and high1. Low, mid, and high all around 6 (it works for me), presence around 3-4.  I won't bother telling you my pre/post settings, as this is for "quiet" basement playing.  I'm sure if I ever get to turn this thing up past 1, everything will have to change.  And of course, if Hayseed ever gives me my Screamer back, that will change things as well.
Peace through volume.