what speakers are in your cab/cabs?

Started by liquidsmoke, September 16, 2011, 09:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

Let's have it. Company, model, how many watts do they handle, quantity, what you think of them, at what volume level do they start to break up, etc.

I have 2 Eminence Governors in my diagonal slant 2x12, 75 watts, they sound good, more on the warm and darkside but I'd like something with more headroom for metal.

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

SpaceTrucker

60 watt rms 128g sp sunn transducer, and 3 other speakers that only have R D written on them in black marker. ???

clockwork green

Matamp 4x12: EV 12L's 200+ watts each
Matamp 2x15: Eminence Big Ben's 225 watts each
Marshall 1960a 4x12: Weber Michigan 100 watts each
Mesa Thiele 1x12: EV 12L
Sunn 212LH: Weber Chicago
Sunn 212LH: Eminence Delta somethings...my bass player bought the speakers and uses this cab
I have an absurdly good sounding Weber 12A125A in a tweed champ.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

SpaceTrucker

how do those webers sound? and would those 15in calis or chicagos be good for bass?

clockwork green

Quote from: SpaceTrucker on September 16, 2011, 10:37:19 PM
how do those webers sound? and would those 15in calis or chicagos be good for bass?
The Weber Michigans sound similar to EV's but with a darker high end...smooth, lots of headroom and can handle plenty of volume and bass without falling apart.  I'm not sure how the Cali would sound with bass.  It's a bit too clean and spanky/bright for my tastes so it might sound good with a bridge pickup and a pick for bass but that's just a guess but I'm not a fan of bass and guitar speakers swapping roles...the mid's are just too far off.  Bass speakers make the guitar sound like a strummed pillow and guitar speakers often sound too flatulent for my tastes. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Jake

Orange 2x12 – V30s: Not bad speakers. Handle everything I throw at them.
Orange 4x12 – Celestion G12K-100 (guitar or bass 12s): HUGE bottom end, but not overwhelming. Love em.
Marshall 4x12 – two G12H-30 and two G12M-25 Greenbacks (pre-Rola): The best sounding cab I have by far. Warm, throaty, burly. Bliss.
Marshall 4x12 – four G12M-25 Greenbacks: These GBs are 20 years old, so smoother than newer ones but with a nice midrange bark.
Ampeg V2 4x12 – two Eminence GB clones and two G12-75: Large, oversized, double-ported cab. Sounds as big as a full stack. Not kidding.
Valvetech 2x12 – Weber Blues: Holding a friend's Valvetech amp/cab for him. It's a Vox AC30 clone. Don't like the blues. Too dark & muddy.
Peavey 2x15 – Black Widows: Love it. Indescructable '70s Peavey gear. People are giving these cabs away on Craigslist. Those people are stupid.
poop.

RacerX

That reminds me: I have a 25-watt Greenback in my 1x12.

Livin' The Life.

Baltar

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

justinhedrick

randall 2x15 with 70 watt randall jaguar speakers (supposedly made my eminence?). they are awesome.

kustom 2x15 with EV Force speakers in it. 75 watts a piece. they are good sounding as well, but would probably sound better in  a "modern" cab.

Instant Dan

Epiphone valve Junior: Eminence Alpha 8

liquidsmoke

Quote from: clockwork green on September 17, 2011, 02:11:55 AM
The Weber Michigans sound similar to EV's but with a darker high end...smooth, lots of headroom and can handle plenty of volume and bass without falling apart. 

Sounds like a winner.

Mr. Foxen

Eminence Kappalite 3015 in my 2x15. not managed to fart out the 1x15 with a 500w amp. I went 2x15 just for more volume with relative low powered valve amps. Serious loud. As much top as I need for simple bass purposes. In an experimental bit, we tookt he 1x15 and put it against the Marshall 2x15 loaded with sidewinder, the 1x15 destroyed it across the board. This is my endgame cab, it weights about 20kg. Ludicrous.

My 4x12 I use for guitary bass is loaded with Celestion V12-80 Silver Series, discontinued budget higher power versions of the Vintage 30, little less harsh top on them, ideal for my purpose. don't push any bottom into it more of a screaming valve head sorta cab, so not farted them out ever.

liquidsmoke