Main Menu

Hosa molded patch cables

Started by liquidsmoke, September 17, 2011, 06:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

Maybe not the best for sound quality(as if I can actually tell?) but I can't see these things ever going bad. My entire pedalboard is now all molded and mostly Hosa 6" and 12". I also have some 17" molded cables from a different company that are multicolored and kind of similar. Sold the George L's on ebay for some serious cash.

Fuck the bullshit. Molded.

justinhedrick

i use the molded ones as well. I have 2 cables on my board that have seriously been on there for the last 8 years. pretty good for $6 or whatever it was.

Hemisaurus

Yeah, mine have been jammed in gigbags, and toured around, and are still working after 10 or so years too.

Lumpy

Hosa seems sturdy. I had some molded cheapies that failed right away = no bueno. I'm paying the extra money so I won't have to worry about that shit ever happening.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Lumpy on September 18, 2011, 12:26:36 AM
Hosa seems sturdy. I had some molded cheapies that failed right away = no bueno. I'm paying the extra money so I won't have to worry about that shit ever happening.

What are you buying for extra money? Hosas are very cheap. I don't know what things look like under the molded plastic but I figure it doesn't get too stressed in there like solder points do.

Lumpy

So I see that Hosa makes all different kinds of cables. The ones I like look like this

The ones I refuse to buy now (mine weren't Hosa brand, but I wont buy this style again)

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Lumpy on September 18, 2011, 06:02:19 AM
The ones I refuse to buy now (mine weren't Hosa brand, but I wont buy this style again)

Yep, those are the ones I've got, that have lasted forever ;D

bitter

honestly, I've got a random ass molded patch cable that some dude gave me in like 2003 and it still works, as does a radio shack one from around that same era. Yet, my main leads (rapco or some shit) last barely a couple of years in garage playing conditions.  
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Lumpy on September 18, 2011, 06:02:19 AM
So I see that Hosa makes all different kinds of cables. The ones I like look like this

Those might be good but they look like some I've had that are soldered and I've had the solder connection break on them.

When using a pedalboard and not messing with stuff very much it probably doesn't matter all that much what you use as long as it's not George L's  ;D

RnRJanitor

For the money Hosa is just fine. They make a TON of cables, variety and quantity and they are consistently good. A problem with a lot of the other cheap Chinese cable manufacturers is quality control. Hosa has it, many others do not. You also cant' go wrong with ProCo. My guitar/bass cables are ProCo's cheapest line and they've outlasted the more expensive cables from monster, planet waves, etc. Unless you're in the studio, there's really no reason to pay out the ass for a nice cable, especially if you're playing high-volume sludge or dirt rock...

<edited for coherence, I haven't had enough coffee yet>

VOLVO)))

I run Monster from my guitar to my pedalboard, and from my pedalboard to my amp. Big, thick gold tipped motherfuckers.

All of my patch cables are these:

Never had one fail me. ever.

I've traded out the monsters a couple times, lifetime warranty with free tradeouts via guitar center makes me a happy man. They see the most abuse, though. stepped on, tripped over, broken tips in pedals, etc etc. SPEND THE MONEY ON GOOD CABLES if they're going to be stepped on. Even the 20 dollar monster cables with the molded ends have the lifetime warranty.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: SunnO))) on September 18, 2011, 01:38:52 PM
I run Monster from my guitar to my pedalboard, and from my pedalboard to my amp. Big, thick gold tipped motherfuckers.

All of my patch cables are these:

Never had one fail me. ever.

I've traded out the monsters a couple times, lifetime warranty with free tradeouts via guitar center makes me a happy man. They see the most abuse, though. stepped on, tripped over, broken tips in pedals, etc etc. SPEND THE MONEY ON GOOD CABLES if they're going to be stepped on. Even the 20 dollar monster cables with the molded ends have the lifetime warranty.

I didn't know that Monster made molded cables. I like the idea.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: RnRJanitor on September 18, 2011, 01:23:22 PM
For the money Hosa is just fine. They make a TON of cables, variety and quantity and they are consistently good. A problem with a lot of the other cheap Chinese cable manufacturers is quality control. Hosa has it, many others do not. You also cant' go wrong with ProCo. My guitar/bass cables are ProCo's cheapest line and they've outlasted the more expensive cables from monster, planet waves, etc. Unless you're in the studio, there's really no reason to pay out the ass for a nice cable, especially if you're playing high-volume sludge or dirt rock...

<edited for coherence, I haven't had enough coffee yet>

Thanks for recommending those Hosas!

Hemisaurus

Problem with Monsters is they are oversized, they  bend the sockets out of shape, and the only thing that fits in them after that is Monsters, it's stupid, because after the first insertion  they've overstressed the socket, and your getting the same or less amount of contact force as you were before with a proper sized jack, and the disadvantage that other jacks no longer make proper contact.

Patch cords are one thing, but instrument and speaker cables, you should buy ones that you can dismantle and resolder, eventually the cord will be so short, you can use it as a patch cable, but you've practiced your soldering skills on the way ;)

VOLVO)))

Not the molded ones, Herb. They're the same wee-lads as the normal ones. That's why I bought demZ.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 18, 2011, 03:44:19 PM
Problem with Monsters is they are oversized, they  bend the sockets out of shape, and the only thing that fits in them after that is Monsters, it's stupid, because after the first insertion  they've overstressed the socket, and your getting the same or less amount of contact force as you were before with a proper sized jack, and the disadvantage that other jacks no longer make proper contact.

What the fuck? This is obviously intentional. Fuck them.  ??? >:(