using guitar effects for vocals

Started by bbottom, September 19, 2011, 10:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

I'd like to add some delay and a few other things to my vocals but I don't want to drop a ton of money on the TC helicon stomp boxes (at this point) or mess around with a vocal processor.

I was curious if any of you guys use guitar effects for vocals, and if so which ones?  Also do you think that those Beringer knock off pedals would do the trick?

Hemisaurus

Yes, yes and yes.

Right now, I'm singing through the stealth, with a behringer pedal in front, cause I like the tubes and the reverb on the stealth. I don't know if I'd record with it, maybe if I mic'd the amp.

VOLVO)))

^^^^^ What he said.

Just get an XLR to quarter inch cable, and maybe a noise gate while you're buyin' pedals. works like a charm.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bbottom

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 19, 2011, 10:11:38 PM
Yes, yes and yes.

Right now, I'm singing through the stealth, with a behringer pedal in front, cause I like the tubes and the reverb on the stealth. I don't know if I'd record with it, maybe if I mic'd the amp.

stealth? And which behringer pedal are you using? Is their a lot of hissing when you use the pedal?

I've been looking at some reverb and delay pedals right now.

Lumpy

If you send your vocals into a mixer, some of them have an effects loop. Requires no cable adapters.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

bbottom

Quote from: Lumpy on September 19, 2011, 10:31:21 PM
If you send your vocals into a mixer, some of them have an effects loop. Requires no cable adapters.

I have a super cheap mixer that we use for practice that doesn't have one. Plus I wanted something in front of me that I can turn on and off.

Hemisaurus

What's the super cheap mixer, there's often a way.

Crate Stealth 100W tube amp, on the clean channel.

bbottom

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 19, 2011, 10:48:07 PM
What's the super cheap mixer, there's often a way.

Crate Stealth 100W tube amp, on the clean channel.

It's some kind of behringer mixer. Come to think of it I think that it does have an effects loop.

So what pedal do you use?

Lumpy

Reverbs and delays are no brainers. You can still control it with your foot (if you use long cables). Keep the Effects knob low on the mixer (on whatever channel you're going into) and dial it in gradually. On my Behringer mixer, the Effects Loop level knob is red. You can use distortions too, but you gotta be careful because the gain makes everything howl. It's not going to be a solution for live performance (unless you do things hillbilly style) but it might help you work on stuff in the rehearsal room, until you can get something more expensive (or a person standing by the club's mixer who knows your songs).

bbottom

Quote from: Lumpy on September 19, 2011, 11:39:14 PM
Reverbs and delays are no brainers. You can still control it with your foot (if you use long cables). Keep the Effects knob low on the mixer (on whatever channel you're going into) and dial it in gradually. On my Behringer mixer, the Effects Loop level knob is red. You can use distortions too, but you gotta be careful because the gain makes everything howl. It's not going to be a solution for live performance (unless you do things hillbilly style) but it might help you work on stuff in the rehearsal room, until you can get something more expensive (or a person standing by the club's mixer who knows your songs).

Awesome thanks man.

Chovie D

I had a freind who used to use a rat on his vocals, subtley..just a touch of grit and it sounded great. This was only in the studio tho.
Same thing for the boss mij three knob compressor...used but in the studio only.

bbottom

Danelectro makes those cheap "mini"  pedals.... any idea how they would sound?

Chovie D

Quote from: bbottom on September 20, 2011, 12:23:26 PM
Danelectro makes those cheap "mini"  pedals.... any idea how they would sound?

the good pedals from that line are the french toast (ocatve fuzz), tuna melt(tremolo) and chicken salad uni-vibe none of which imho lend themselves ot vocals...the phaser is okay...the compressor is pretty weak. But most importnatly of all, their casings and footswitches are not suitable for any live performance, so I wouild avoid those for live vocal use.

Id look for ther behringer clone of the deluxe memory man or something like that, cheap but usable sounds..not sure about the casing on those tho either. maybe some digitech or DoD used pedals? i see those for dirt cheap, not sure how they are. In a delay Id look for something with a reverse delay as that could be very cool on vocals. tho certaionly not cheap, a line 6dl4 would at least give yuu 4 presets, a reverse delay, modulated delay and a loop player (which would also be a very cool vocal tool i think)

Discö Rice

I love the DL4, but the reverse delay/loop is kind of a bitch. You really have to know that pedal to make proper use of it.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Instant Dan

Someone posted up a video on another forum of a guy using a memory man for vocals and it sounded alright.

I always thought Gibby Haynes used those crazy effects for vocals the best.

Chovie D

Quote from: Discö Rice on September 20, 2011, 02:25:16 PM
I love the DL4, but the reverse delay/loop is kind of a bitch. You really have to know that pedal to make proper use of it.

troo, I kind of use themin a crap shoot kind of way..waht I get is what i get, you nnot really plan em out too carefully.

I wonder what a mic thru a wah would sound like?

Chovie D

Lumpy

Danelectro doesn't make a cheap reverb that's really good (they do have one -- Corned Beef I think -- if you can find it for cheep, it might be good enough). Their cheep Delay is the Peanut Butter & Jelly, it's pretty good (can switch between 2 different speeds) but it's not as cheep as the Behringers. I don't think you need a high end delay -- the extra features (super long delay, looping) are kinda wasted, for your needs. The Behringer reverbs are pretty good sounding, but cheep construction. Also, these types of effects usually eat batteries like crazy -- you might want a power supply.