Main Menu

Wireless

Started by Jake, September 20, 2011, 09:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

So, I was sitting here thinking about how almost everything is wireless these days. And it occurred to me that there hasn't been the same enthusiasm for feeding one's guitar/bass/whatever signal to one's amp wirelessly. I know that there has to have been some technological breakthroughs (since the early days with radio interference, ala Spinal Tap) that should make everything more efficient and affordable, right?
poop.

At_Giza

I dunno, it just never sat well with me. Didn't feel right, though I know that current wireless systems are pretty darned good at transmitting sound (Rush's live stuff sounds good, doesn't seem like the wireless signals lose anything noticeable, though Lifeson does loose his tone in his mass of effects, I think).

Hemisaurus

A lot of wireless equipment went obsolete when the FCC redistributed the bandwidths recently.

You have a choice:

analog wireless, which compresses your signal for transmission and then expands it on the other end.

digital wireless, whic encodes your signal into a digital stream, and decods it at the other end.

piece of cable.

At_Giza

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 20, 2011, 09:42:47 PM
A lot of wireless equipment went obsolete when the FCC redistributed the bandwidths recently.

You have a choice:

analog wireless, which compresses your signal for transmission and then expands it on the other end.

digital wireless, whic encodes your signal into a digital stream, and decods it at the other end.

piece of cable.

I choose C, fits my budget.

Jake

Quote from: At_Giza on September 20, 2011, 09:46:07 PM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 20, 2011, 09:42:47 PM

You have a choice:

piece of cable.

I choose C, fits my budget.

That's kinda my point. Shouldn't wireless be cheap as shit right now? What about Bluetooth or some other near-proximity wireless protocol? I demand answers, dangit!  ;)
poop.

Hemisaurus

You want your guitar to sound like it's being played through a cellphone?

Baltar

Nope, wasn't looking for that cellphone tone when I put my rig together.  I'll stick with a 20' cord.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Ayek

Doesn't Danny G roll wireless?

RageofKlugman

I'm fairly sure Truckfighters were using wireless connections when I  saw them a while back. It didn't seem to adversely affect their sound.

mawso

I got a Line 6 Relay G50 not long ago.  I think it actually lets through more detail than the Planet Waves cable I was using just before that.  It didn't cost a lot.. but then, I'm not really much into stomp boxes and I've pretty much stopped GASsing for amps and gats for the moment, so I guess people in different situations are going to have different priorities.

I like being able to run off stage during the set now and then.  It's surprising how much the audience digs it.  You don't have to do very much for it to really have an impact.  Just the fact that you've come off stage seems to really get people off.  It's also a little easier to get set up before the gig when you're running the wireless.

Only downside is keeping the batteries charged.  Not a huge thing, though if we toured a lot it'd probably be something to keep in mind.