Think I'll do tomato soup again.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

Beautiful roast. not peeled- question; what affect on the flavor profile does the skin have or do you remove b4 blending?

(trying to find the word for superfine blending, thought it was frappé, but seems not)

RAGER

I don't mind the skins and seeds. It's part of the plant and adds a little body to it. If I were to do a real passata I would of course remove those things.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I don't do much Indian food cuz wifey doesn't much like the flavors but I stumbled on something kinda cool so I made it last night but with a nod to Thailand.

It's Coorgi style chicken masala. Coorg is in the state of Karnataka in the south of India and near their west coast. The masala has many if the usual suspects but also has a souring agent call kachampulli which of course I didn't have so going off the flavor profile I mixed tamarind paste water, fish sauce and black soy sauce. It turned out delicious and Kellie liked it even though it was a bit too spicy for her.

Served with saffron tinted jasmine rice and assorted phak sot and naam phrik kha.  There's also a few wedges of pickled golden watermelon.

The meat turns out really dark because if the kachampulli.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

terrific. The color on that chicken is out of this world.

RAGER

Yeah it's a keeper. I've got enough masala seasoning left over to do another small batch. Maybe pork or drumsticks next.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

"kachampulli which of course I didn't have"

nothing 'of course' about this from you my man!

RAGER

Ha!  Dude from India told me I'd  never find that shit. I said "hold my IPA". Ahahahahwhaaah! 

I know you got chops dude. Let's see more.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

I asked the butcher to git me a roast with as much fat on as possible, for my Pissy slow cook pending. Yes I want the globs. He went to work and cut me a Chuck. I over-ordered having no idea whatsoever what a 4lb roast would look like - wait till you see it in the Gen Forii. It'll go in the Lodge in the oven. I may have to do two of them one now, one January 1st. Planning ahead! I've faking the consumé with Better Than Bouillon, or something on hand. I forgot the giardiniero so will make another trip in town for that. I have everything else but will have to use bogus-rolls.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

No, not yet, still have to get giardiniera. That's okay I can also add something else if you have an idea. Gale force winds fell a telephone pole across main street and took out the grocery store, bank, gas. The backup generator at the grocery store failed so it's closed. The trucks are busy in Bellingham

Store has the ubiquitous mezzetta brand, not too excited about that one. I could make a road trip to get something better if you recommend doing so.

I'll get some consommé too, they have campbell's  I think.

I asked the butcher for extra fat but I guess it doesn't come in that way. 4pounder:

Muffin Man

They have these over yonder in Canada. No giardiniera though seen online. I'll get some of their beef some time. Onions most definitely just to have on hand, 4-pack of those if they're good.

ps. I can special order from their butcher, extra fat. Good for the cranium.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Mezzetta will work I think. Or you could just use pepperoncinis   
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

i jar of each, per Pissy recipé. I was going to make my own consomé but decided I best not muck about. If I see Campbells' I'll stock up. That time of year holidays and such. haha

RAGER

I'd go for Swanson over Campbell's.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

most appreciated! I hope they have it.

Pissy

Either will work.  Swanson is probably better.  I wouldn't entertain bouillon over consommé when it's so easy to get, personally.   Also I see Mezzetta has Chicago style giardiniera.  I've never had that, only the type with the basic cauliflower and carrots.   Might be fun to try if you can find it. 

How is your crockpot game?  4lbs would be pretty big for mine.
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

I need to get a plugin crock, I'll be using a Lodge 9qt dutch oven and oops running up the electric bill if it takes 8-10 hours. I might do 1/2 now 1/2 later. Off to the store now!

Muffin Man

No Swanson Consommé on the shelf I got the Campbell's. Plenty of other beef broth's - cooking broth, other names of broth's, bone broth etc.

Oven is at 350....what temp should I lower it to? after an hour at 350 (dutch oven outside surface is 280) I lowered oven to 235. hmmmm, dunno. It already smells amazing!

Muffin Man

I got an Italian packet but also have the no-salt pictured. Pissy, would you recommend one over the other? edit. I used the Italian packet.

2 jars of giardiniero. 2 cans broth. I forgot the pepperoncini but added them after everything else. Man, that consommé kinda stinks. I would not want to go near that factory!

4lb'r loaded in the 9qt - the whole magilla

Muffin Man

I took a peek at 2.5 hours. It shrunk and is floating. I flipped it. Hard as a rubber ball. Dutch surface is 218F. Pretty low temp? (lol, I lowered the oven to 225, might land at 210ish) I'll take another peek at the 7 hour mark. Rolls on standby. The house smells real good, beefy but a little vinegary.

RAGER

Google says crockpots run between 170°-280° FYI.
No Focus Pocus