Recipes--Your Specialty

Started by black, September 28, 2011, 01:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black

Seems like most people (with the exception of me) have at least one dish that they excell at and don't mind sharing the recipe.

As a man of much knowledge, but little action, I want to move my culinary skills beyond eating carry-out while watching a cooking show (or depending on my kick-ass chef of a girlyfriend to cook for me). If you are so inclinded, please post a favorite recipe/specialty of yours. If things pan out (and I can do some of them without burning down the house/poisoning anyone), maybe a review thread would be in order.

Thanks in advance, you kitchen geniuses.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

The Shocker

I make a kick ass shrimp stew.

Make a roux.
Then fry the holy trinity in the roux.
Add at least six cups shrimp stock, chicken stock or duck stock.
Add salt to taste, some white pepper, as much garlic as you like, a bay leaf, a can of tomato sauce, some tomato paste and hot sauce. 
Simmer for hours, the longer the better.
About 15 mins before serving throw in at least 2 lbs peeled shrimp.  The more and the bigger the better.

Serve over sticky white rice with garlic bread and a fresh salad.   

Enjoy!

Chovie D

I hesitate to call this one a recipe and its far from my specialty or the best thing I make but several people have asked me about it over the years since we used to make these at the old emission fests and featured the recipe and photo on our last cd cover so....

Filet Buckaroos:
Ingredients:
flank steaks
dill pickle wedges
mustard
toothpicks
Procedure:
your flank steaks should be reasonably thin, say 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick?
slather one side of flank steak with mustard,place dill pickle wedge in middle of flank steak and roll it up so the meat flaps cover your pickle  :D, secure with toothpicks and grill over charcoal. enjoy with a fermented malted barley beverage

GodShifter

Hey, I'm in that video!  ;D

By the way, those damn Buckaroos were great.

Discö Rice

I recognize linda, john, and chovie. GS - I have no idea what you look like.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Chovie D

Quote from: Discö Rice on September 28, 2011, 05:10:32 PM
I recognize linda, john, and chovie. GS - I have no idea what you look like.

big guy with long hair.

good times!

The funny guy with the mustache and cop shades is T.B. our bass player. God i miss that kid.  8)

GodShifter

Yep, I remember talking with him. Very nice guy. You were/are too, Chovis!

The Shocker

peoplething

A couple weeks ago I bar-b-qued a whole turkey. Came out OK, but far from a specialty.

I will master that.

For a 'specialty', I would say fast & fresh homemade tomato sauce. Sounds basic, but when you consider how much stuff you can use it in, it's a good starting point for great food.

3 lbs fresh tomatoes
2-3 cloves crushed garlic
1/8 cup olive oil
1/2 - 1 teaspoon sea salt
Oregano & Basil to taste - depending on what you use it for go heavier or lighter on either.

cube tomato's
throw everything in a pot

Bring to boil with occasional stirring, reduce heat and simmer until chunky-paste like consistency (20m)

Remove from heat and use hand (stick) blender to puree

3lbs will give you about 1.5 pints of sauce

use it to make whatever you're going to make, as long as it can be cooked for about another 30m for the tomato's sugars to completely break down.

"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

Discö Rice

hints^  - frappe (goo-ify the fucker) a carrot, toss it in, cook low and slow. always use fresh basil.

Jor el

Low & Slow, That is the Tempo

I never got to enjoy the filet buckaroos, because I wasn't in the Patio Clique.
What Would Scooby Do ?

Chovie D

Quote from: Jor el on September 28, 2011, 06:56:55 PM

Low & Slow, That is the Tempo

I never got to enjoy the filet buckaroos, because I wasn't in the Patio Clique.

everyone was welcome. we took our bands pay for the show (after hotel and gas)  and bought food, charcoal, a small grill etc at a nearby grocery store so that we could dine with/feed the great unwashed masses. This was before they had food vendors at emish. We figured it would be more fun to "eat and great" rather than have an extra $20 each in our wallets for the ride home. Sorry we missed you Jor El.

GodShifter

If memory serves, there was one vendor at that Emissions. Some dude was selling bar-b-cue sandwiches outside where the bands would load in. But that was it.

/sausage fest

Jötun

I fix a fucking mean glass of water.

I'd post the recipe but I refuse to relinquish my secrets.
[soundcloud]http://snd.sc/NHCMKH[/soundcloud]

mortlock

tomato sauce..my grandfathers/passed on to my mom and on to me recipe..pork, sausage, meatballs..fresh basil..olive oil.

its hard for me to put into words..i just have to make it for whoever wants some..

i like it over spaghetti, cavatelli or riggggatoni..

black

*checking on flights to mortlock's area*
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

Chovie D

yeah I got my grandma Circellis recipe for sauce..fucking bomb. sometime throw some ribs in the sauce and juts let em simmer for hours ot the meat juts falls off the bones. Mama Mia.

Jor el

Quote from: GodShifter on September 28, 2011, 08:52:00 PM

If memory serves, there was one vendor at that Emissions. Some dude was selling bar-b-cue sandwiches outside where the bands would load in.

We were aboot 15' away from Lou's BBQ when you pissed me off.
But I'm over it now.
What Would Scooby Do ?

GodShifter

Dude, are you serious? What did I do? I know I was kind of drunk that whole weekend, but I cannot remember having a run in with anyone at all ??? Damn, I feel bad  :-\

mortlock

Quote from: Chovie D on September 29, 2011, 02:54:21 PM
yeah I got my grandma Circellis recipe for sauce..fucking bomb. sometime throw some ribs in the sauce and juts let em simmer for hours ot the meat juts falls off the bones. Mama Mia.
pork ribs would be insane..i usually use boneless pork but im thinking i need to try this..you def get extra flavor from the bones..

MadJohnShaft

Hey There's Godshifter@!

Who'd the guy standing in front of the van in a dark tshirt at the 14 second mark?
Some days chickens, some days feathers

GodShifter

That is Jeff/rocktard/super sludge.

Jor el

Quote from: GodShifter on September 29, 2011, 09:51:40 PM
Dude, are you serious? What did I do? I know I was kind of drunk that whole weekend, but I cannot remember having a run in with anyone at all ??? Damn, I feel bad  :-\

Solace was talking at me, and you stumbled in and jacked the conversation.
I should actually thank you, because as you know, he has a habit of foaming at the mouth while speaking.

Hey Solace: Say it, Don't spray it.
What Would Scooby Do ?

Discö Rice

Jor El - srl.com's resident sensitive soul.

GodShifter

Quote from: Jor el on October 01, 2011, 12:28:56 PM
Quote from: GodShifter on September 29, 2011, 09:51:40 PM

Solace was talking at me, and you stumbled in and jacked the conversation.
I should actually thank you, because as you know, he has a habit of foaming at the mouth while speaking.

Hey Solace: Say it, Don't spray it.

Oh yeah, that was when Tommy was talking about the Sugartooth deal? I vaguely remember that now. Oddly, though, I don't even remember saying anything. I remember just listening. Apparently, I was mistaken.