Recipes--Your Specialty

Started by black, September 28, 2011, 01:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Blend some yogurt with some heavy cream salt and dill. Boils potatoes in a lot of salt. Peas!  I used chunked smoked turkey from what I already told you about months ago. But use salmon, chicken, ham, head cheese etc....
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

RAGER

Another batch of naam phrik kha in the books. Traded some yesterday for a couple of sandwiches at a local pizza joint that does a sandwich pop up in the weekends.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I've probably posted a recipe.

Fresh curry paste done yesterday so I made a cross between a gaeng phet muu and gaeng hang lay but with flat wheat noodles.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

So for the naam phrik ka i was reading that it's essentially a sauce made out of the mash you've made plus fermented fish or shrimp paste, but it appears you leave it dry and use the mash in all sorts of places.  Do I have that right?
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I've never seen shrimp paste or pla ra used. The way I know it is just galangal, chilis, lemongrass, garlic and salt. They're all pounded to a rough paste. That in turn is dried in a pan slowly broken up into a granule like substance lije you see above.  Then it's used by dipping steamed veg into it or swiping a hunk of meat through it. That's the main way it's used.

The other way is to rehydrate it with a little tamarind water, salt and sugar and use as a wet dip.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Yesterday was cook all day/putz around in the kitchen.

I love chewy stringy salty spicy meat so I made nuea tam. Roast some lean pork over low heat 250° for about and hour or so. Then plop it in some water at a simmer for an hour and half or so until it's pretty tender. Let it cool until ready to handle then slice. Meanwhile in your mortar and pestle make a spicy paste with some dried chilies, galangal, garlic and salt. Break up the pork into strands as much as you can. Fry the paste in your wok in some oil lightly until the raw taste dissipates. Add in your pork and a little more and fry, smash, smoosh the pork and paste mix until it looks like this.

Enjoy with sticky rice and some jaew. Or put a few spoonfuls on your Thai turkey burgers like I did.

See next post.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Kellie wanted these Thai turkey burgers she saw on Pinterest or something . I perused the recipe, dismissed it and did it my way.

Took some ground turkey and mixed in some red curry paste I just made 2 days ago along with some extra makrut leaves, scallions, cilantro and fish sauce.

Slaw dressed with nuoc cham and olive oil.

Sriracha mayo, my own buns and some nuea tam. Fuck yea!  And tots.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Made a batch of guajillo chili paste/molè base for sone pork chili and beans and also to have on hand.

Bowl of chili with Tillamook Sharp Cheddar and Juanitas chips made in Hood River.

Onions, garlic, guajillo, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, fried in some oil.

After it burbles and darkens I pulled some out for the chili and beans and cooked the pork down in it.

I added some toasted sesame, pepitas, and charred nixtamal tortillas that I ground up

It's nice to add to things and I might reduce it further and add some other stuff for a molè negro.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Diggin these "salads" lately.

Here's some of the herbs and spicy bits.

Simmered and sliced

Liver, heart, gizzard.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Back to the basics for last nights dinner.

Som tam, laap muu, khao niew.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Made albondigas en molé

Ingredients

Guajillo, chipotle, morita, green tomato, ripe tomatoes, serrano, onion, garlic, tortilla, hunk of bread, crackers, ginger, sesame, allspice, cloves, salt, black pepper, dark chocolate

Everything except the chocolate and sesame seeds gets fried briefly in oil then simmered in water or stock for a bit. Sesame gets dry pan toasted then ground in the molcajete. Chocolate gets melted in later.
These ingredients in water get blended with an immersion blender.

Then kinda strained. Still want sone viscosity

Albondigas

For the meatballs I use a very similar method as Marcella Hazen. These aren't a typical Mexican style but more Italian method but with Mexican centric ingredients.
In the mortar and pestle is rough pounded chicharrones. In the bowl is ground pork and beef and cilantro in place of parsley, ground garlic and a panade of my house made bread and ground tortilla chips.

Oven roasted then into the sauce.

Plated

The most tender ball of meat.

No Focus Pocus

James1214

words

Muffin Man

that showcase of albondigas en molé. I gotta wonder how delicious that must've been. Bravo! A knockout.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

The albóndigas en molé recipe has caused a bit of a stir in the Mexican food subreddit. I seem to have revolutionized something. Not really though. But it's surprising how many comments I'm getting from Hispanic folks. It's never crossed their mind to put the meatballs in the sauce. Their minds are blown.

Example comment;  ¡Definitivamente hay que ampliar nuestros horizontes culinarios! ¡Gracias por la brillante idea!

Or this user writes;

Op, acabas de volarme la cabeza lo intentaré en casa y espero me queden tan sabrosas como imagino que saben las que se ven aquí gracias por compartir
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Strange phenomenon because I can find a bunch of recipes for the same thing.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

I need to get duolingo or something and start chatting with the local spanish speaking lady at the market.

My new contact is Mongolian, a cook who has given me some tips. We were just talking about poached chicken and how they do it with certain but minimal flavorings - I'll check with him on the ingredients. But there I'd want to learn Chinese. riiight.\

Just across the border, the french. eghads, mono lingual is no bueno

ps. RAGER, I've yet to decipher your Chinese letters on that package you sent. The ones under your sig. Thanks

RAGER

I don't remember what I wrote. Lol.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

The comments in Spanish were a nice touch. 

It's a helluva dish. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Ok back to this albondigas thing. Still getting comments on this thing by and large the majority positivity in wonderment but there are the few that just can't wrap their damn head around a meatball in sauce. It's the weirdest fucking thing.

But this is a rather funny exchange between myself and another poster. In the midst I make an unintentional spelling error. Dead serious.

The volley with them up first. Get your copy/paste Google translate ready.

Jajaja, se ve muy bueno, pero no entiendo porqué está en inglés

¿Por qué no?

Por que literal casi todos los comentarios están en español y muy probablemente, tu lengua madre también sea español

(My spelling errors): Yes but much if the ousts are English too. Lol.

Bro, ni siquiera sabes hablar inglés, lol No sé si lo hiciste con traductor, pero no te recomiendo el de Google
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Now that i know your mother tongue is spanish, the thai food obsession makes perfect sense.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Salsa molcajete

Charred onions, garlic, tomatoes, serrano, salt, lime.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

No Focus Pocus