Recipes--Your Specialty

Started by black, September 28, 2011, 01:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James1214

Quote from: Pissy on January 23, 2024, 06:19:45 AMThat's strange. The rubberieness was the meat?  Not just the skin?

Yeah, skin was crispy and perfect, it carved up just fine, but when slicing the breast for my kiddo it just felt off, so I tested, and switched gears.

It all was just strange. Oh well.
words

Muffin Man

I swear I'm going to buy a La Caja China one of these days for pig and chickens, and fish. But the Costco bird for $4.99 isn't horrible. 7 out of 10 so not "chef's kiss" or anything. I really miss my Nashville brined whole chicken. Drive though window, 1/2 chicken, beans, rice, hone made tortilla, sauces. Whole Jalepeno $15. They'd brine the whole chicken in a 55 gallon thing for 2 days. Not sure how they cooked it and then I think they got shut down by the authorities. Everyone cried.

mortlock

i can only imagine the health code violations. jesus christ. 55 gallon drums of raw chicken is gross.

Muffin Man

it was toally off the hook in both directions but nobody died unless they covered it up. thinking back on it, now that you mentioned the grossness,  maybe that's why they got shut. I think they were shut twice so not able to correct the inspection flags? I still miss it dearly. Drive-thru window. and then 1/2 mile down the Pike another drive-thru window for liquor. (ever seen those?) whut could go wrong.

Muffin Man

knock knock who's there:

at the warehouse now, I would'a but I dint. good price though. but they were light, no heft. oh, maybe my meter is off. 22oz not bad. Ah shucks

renfield

I dunno if this is quite my specialty because every time I watch Pepin bone a chicken it really hits home what a rank amateur I am.

Nonetheless, seeing as we're talking chicken. This was my third try at a ballotine, all three were delicious, but getting the bones out continues to be insanely challenging to me

renfield

^ brown rice, mushroom medley, leek, onion, spinach filling

RAGER

I was just gonna ask what you stuffed it with.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Busy kitchen day yesterday. Made red curry paste, red curry beef, roti canai, jasmine rice and a malayu curry sauce.

Here's some pics.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Very Thai influenced salad I like to make variations of.

Day old rice, do chua, pickled onions, shallots, scallions, cukes, tomatoes, cilantro, radicchio, peanuts, shrimps, naem sausage, Napa cabbage, makrut lime leaf

One of the tricks is as part of the prep for the shrimp and the naem I first boil the shrimp shells for just a few minutes in just a little water, strain then I boil the sliced naem in the same water for a couple minutes. This really flavors the water. I then boil the shrimp in that water. Then brown the naem briefly in a pan. Deglaze the pan with the shrimp water and reduce. This make a killer dressing when you add a paste of pounded lemongrass, galangal, garlic, cilantro, white pepper, green Thai chilies, fish sauce and lime juice. Toss it all together and bam!

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

With the sliced pork shoulder I bought at H mart

Salty peppy and tenderize with that back of a knife

Sizzle in the De Buyer

Leeks, cabbage. Ginger and garlic not pictured

Let er stew a bit in chicken stock fortified dashi with mushrooms

Add the cabbage to the donabe

Very very good. Ume!!

No Focus Pocus