Favorite cheap and/or Underrated gear

Started by James1214, October 05, 2011, 01:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Y

The DOD 250 has been my main dirt pedal on bass for about 10 years. I bought mine used for $20.

MichaelZodiac

I think I'm going to do a DIY build for the 250 from GGG or BYOC. So many plans, so little money.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Instant Dan

Maybe I have been spending too much time near the pedal snobs, but the Rotovibe for me is still the standard for Leslie tones.

Lumpy

You can buy a used DOD 250 for cheaper than you can build one, so unless you really want the experience of building it, people are selling them used all the time.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

justinhedrick

yeah, that ibanez delay pedal is awesome. i love it.

one thing i will say though: the dry output isn't on unless the pedal is engaged, so can't use it to split your signal to 2 amps.

Baltar

I've had 2 buddies that have used that delay and swear by it as a good back-up!!!!
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

martha_KH

I used it as a backup for a while, but it does all I need and takes fuzz like a champ.  My main delay these days.

justinhedrick

Quote from: martha_KH on November 02, 2011, 01:18:25 PM
I used it as a backup for a while, but it does all I need and takes fuzz like a champ.  My main delay these days.

plus it self ocilates and makes spaceship noises.

Lumpy

DE-7 doesn't have trails though. You turn it off, and your trails are chopped off.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Lumpy on November 02, 2011, 05:12:46 PM
DE-7 doesn't have trails though. You turn it off, and your trails are chopped off.

that's true. i've never owned a delay that has done that though.

Instant Dan

Marshall 1960 cabs (also JCM800 and 900 cabs). :-X

zachoff

Late-70s Japanese Yamaha BBs.  I have a '78 BB-800 and a '79 BB-1000 and they're both awesome.  They're what Fenders would sound like if they had balls.

justinhedrick

Quote from: inductorguitars on November 23, 2011, 02:36:40 AM
Electro-Voice 635A

yes. god, i have got some of the best recorded tones this side of a royer with one of those.

also works great as a mono drum overhead, since it's omni.

actually, i can't think of a thing that i DIDN'T like it on, it was OK on bass, but then again, the rig was just OK as well . . .

inductorguitars

Quote from: justinhedrick on November 23, 2011, 09:12:42 AM

yes. god, i have got some of the best recorded tones this side of a royer with one of those.

also works great as a mono drum overhead, since it's omni.

actually, i can't think of a thing that i DIDN'T like it on, it was OK on bass, but then again, the rig was just OK as well . . .

Yea it's a meh mic for bass. imo. I got 2 for $30 on ebay long time ago. Saw people paying $40 for one no way was I going to pay them.

Discö Rice

My favorite underrated amp - the Fender Super Six Reverb. 135 reverb-drenched tube watts through six 10's. Makes me wanna pick up a tele, dime everything but the bass (I think somewhere around 1 or 2 would be plenty) and kill every tree and insect within 50 feet of that summbitch.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Chovie D

Quote from: Discö Rice on November 30, 2011, 06:49:14 PM
My favorite underrated amp - the Fender Super Six Reverb. 135 reverb-drenched tube watts through six 10's. Makes me wanna pick up a tele, dime everything but the bass (I think somewhere around 1 or 2 would be plenty) and kill every tree and insect within 50 feet of that summbitch.

wre those ultralinear? didnt realize.
pretty much al fender silverfaces could be in this thread right?
they are all cheap and under-rated IMHO.

Discö Rice

Quote from: Chovie D on November 30, 2011, 07:09:05 PM
wre those ultralinear? didnt realize.
pretty much al fender silverfaces could be in this thread right?
they are all cheap and under-rated IMHO.

From wikipedia -

The Super Six Reverb is essentially a master volume Twin Reverb equipped with six Oxford 10L6 (or CTS 10" AlNiCo) speakers featuring 10"/5.2 ohms (8 ohms each in series-parallel) and 100 watts RMS (changed to 135W in 1977). Introduced in 1972, this silverface combo amplifier was discontinued in 1979.

I'm okay with them being underrated - keeps the prices manageable. I will own a super six one day.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Chovie D

I bet you could find one fairly cheap as probably not many wanna haul those beasts around.
My friend Jeff who played with Killdozer and POwerwagon used one or years. If Im not mistaken they ahd trem too.
I think all the 135s are ultralinear..god those fuckers are loud.

The regular super itself is a cool amp too. 4x10's. My friend has one and it sounds great too.
I wouldnt wanna haul it around either tho.
I would like a silverface deluxe reverb, thats more my size.
But they are known cool amp and priced accordingly at $1000.

one of the better fender sleeper amps is the silverface Musicmaster bass amp. killer low wattage guitar amp.
definetly underated, as in not rated at all, you can score one for under $300 usually.

Metal and Beer

Quote from: Discö Rice on November 30, 2011, 06:49:14 PM

Minutemen covers !
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Chovie D

D used a super six?

btw Id be careful cranking the treble on those, unless you enjoy icepicks to your eardomes :o