Main Menu

Latest amp build

Started by dunwichamps, October 05, 2011, 05:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dunwichamps

Latest amp build, 2 x KT88 non master doom machine for Core9, guitarist in Curse the Son

At_Giza

Things like this are why I hate:

1. Being unemployed
2. Being poor because of it.
3. Hardly any electrical engineering experience.

Anyway, I think it would be cool to have an amp that didn't fit into a headbox, that was pretty looking with all the components out like that. Sort of like all the high end audio amps out there.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Discö Rice

I don't understand builds like this. It's pretty, I'll give you that, but I don't get why you'd want all the fragile guts exposed. Specifically so you couldn't tour with it? Eh. Different strokes, I guess.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Chovie D

Quote from: Discö Rice on October 05, 2011, 06:25:41 PM
I don't understand builds like this. It's pretty, I'll give you that, but I don't get why you'd want all the fragile guts exposed. Specifically so you couldn't tour with it? Eh. Different strokes, I guess.

I assume it will get a head cabinet and this shot is just to show of the pretty chassis work. It looks beautiful.

Discö Rice

Quote from: Chovie D on October 05, 2011, 06:29:23 PM
Quote from: Discö Rice on October 05, 2011, 06:25:41 PM

I assume it will get a head cabinet and this shot is just to show of the pretty chassis work. It looks beautiful.

In that case, I concur. Nice work.

core9

Yes it is getting a very nice chassis and faceplate to boot......this fucker is MINE!

Derelict78

I seriously want to buy one of these but my wife thinks I can build one myself  ::) so untill I build one im banned from buying more amps  :-[

dunwichamps

Early sound test, massive low end, super headroom with some breakup as the gain gets up. ran a BAT pharaoh real quick, sounds pretty fuckin good. Neighbors already pisssedddddddd

dunwichamps

Quote from: Derelict78 on October 05, 2011, 06:45:21 PM
I seriously want to buy one of these but my wife thinks I can build one myself  ::) so untill I build one im banned from buying more amps  :-[

Lots of experience required before you tackle a big boy like this. Doable tho

VOLVO)))

Id buy one if I wasnt perpetually broke. Id love a custom amp, dont know how i'd feel about havin' only two power tubes... could you build me a solid state version for 200USD?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 05, 2011, 07:22:35 PM
Id buy one if I wasnt perpetually broke. Id love a custom amp, dont know how i'd feel about havin' only two power tubes... could you build me a solid state version for 200USD?

lulz, thats my labor charge.

KT88s are beast, they can keep up with an 4 x EL34 amp. Now 4 x KT88 thats another dream all together. Its going up against a 4 x EL34 Matamp GT120, I will let u know how it does

VOLVO)))

Im just f-f-foolin' you, man. I know what it takes to do what you do, and what goes into it. You wont see me bitchin' unless you go all buttpussy on us.

Where do you getcher trannies?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Yeah, gotta ask, how much is that going to end up costing?

dunwichamps

Those are Dynaco 120W Repo Trannies from the Triode Store, PT and OT, choke is a Weber 100W model.

They are originally for hifi stereo amps, then Sunn used them back in the day for Model Ts and 200s. Huge fuckin iron

The amp will be around 1400 to 1650 depending upon upgrades, addons aesthetic, blah blah.

Here is a real quick teaster video, nothing great just an example

Hemisaurus

To the want to builders, have a look at some of the amp kits out there, a lot of them come with a layout as well as a schematic, so you don't need to be totally electrically savvy to build it, as long as you can follow the plans. Of course, come debug time, it helps to have a tech or technical friend to fall back on.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: dunwichamps on October 05, 2011, 08:04:02 PM
Those are Dynaco 120W Repo Trannies from the Triode Store, PT and OT, choke is a Weber 100W model.

They are originally for hifi stereo amps, then Sunn used them back in the day for Model Ts and 200s. Huge fuckin iron

The amp will be around 1400 to 1650 depending upon upgrades, addons aesthetic, blah blah.

So are you using the ultralinear taps, like the originals, or do they not have them?

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 05, 2011, 08:07:27 PM
Quote from: dunwichamps on October 05, 2011, 08:04:02 PM

So are you using the ultralinear taps, like the originals, or do they not have them?

I have a switch for UL or Pentode mode. and I built Weber 6s100 kit 2 with mods for bass way back 1st amp i did

Hemisaurus

That's a point, where's the gutshots? ;)

Discö Rice

That amp is pretty. Man... I gotta sell some shit so I can buy better shit.

dunwichamps

Mr. Foxen

That's tidy wiring. I was all expecting a mess.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on October 05, 2011, 08:37:55 PM
That's tidy wiring. I was all expecting a mess.

I take a lot of time to get it right, you cant build it sloppy for guys who play crushing music, it will just break

Hemisaurus

Is that a knob on the bias supply? That's a really neat idea.

Did you build it with solid core wire? Or is it just really stiff stranded?

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 05, 2011, 08:58:32 PM
Is that a knob on the bias supply? That's a really neat idea.

Did you build it with solid core wire? Or is it just really stiff stranded?

I use 20 gauge solid core teflon wire for anything low current, 18 gauge stranded core teflon wire for anything high current/grounds. Main ground buss bar is a 16 gauge tinned wire, which you cant see its under the main board.

I try to bend everything 90 degrees, make it look nice

No actually that is to adjust the intensity of the front panel lighting, like on my Wizard original amp.

Here is how I do biasing. You dont even have to remove the amp

Heres a shot of the output impedance selector, output jacks, and the UL/Pentode SW