Main Menu

Let's talk Fuzz (part. ?)

Started by Mike_Sims, October 14, 2011, 02:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelZodiac

Can somebody explain to me why vids from an Ampeg Scrambler are so different in sound? The first vid is an original Scrambler, the second vid is a clone.

Example 1

Example 2

In the first vid I find it one of the best fuzzes, it's thick (on some settings) but in the second vid it's awfully thin and more a noisemaker ala some Z.Vex pedals which is cool if you want that but I want fuzz thickness with that upper octave. Is it the way of playing? The fact that in the second vid it's a clone? Recording techniques? I'm at a loss here.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

grimniggzy

If you're looking for a Scrambler clone with balls I'd look at the
Creepy Fingers Pink Elephant or this...
http://paisleypedals.webs.com/paisleyquasar.htm

there are some clips here...
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/paisley-tubby-effects-quasar-ampeg-scrambler-clone-553770/

MichaelZodiac

Awesome thanks! That Paisley Quasar sounds real good.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Baltar

Ronsound makes a Scrambler too called the Over Easy.  Yeah Wikipedia was pretty correct on Ron's gear.  Those Marshalls he had were fucking purple!
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

grimniggzy

Ah, those purple ones look so fucking cool.

Bought the Vintage Modern cab mainly because of the color.

liquidsmoke

I have one of these and it's fucking bonkers and I love it. It sounds awesome with vibe type pedals and wah and can do a kind of Hendrix through Weedeater's guitar rig sound but it's not as extreme as a DAM Meathead.

Mike_Sims

something like this first riff, but with WAY more bass would be nice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaPGfUKrs_w

Derelict78

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

godzilla looks cool.

octave fuzzes are where its at for sure. Its not so much teh octave (which usually blows) its the crazy delicious overtones..:)

all my fave fuzzes are octave fuzzes. Superfuzz, BYOC leeds fuzz, and zvex octane 3.
I dig the octane 3 alot, check it out at :040 in this vid...

moose23

All your favourite fuzzes are Superfuzzes!  ;) Well I think the 3 might be slightly different but the Octane II was a straight up Superfuzz clone with the scoop switch replaced with a pot.

Chovie D

Quote from: moose23 on October 17, 2011, 01:05:05 PM
All your favourite fuzzes are Superfuzzes!  ;) Well I think the 3 might be slightly different but the Octane II was a straight up Superfuzz clone with the scoop switch replaced with a pot.

LOL you are right.... :D

I DO like the other octave fuzzes tho too, i just dont own them  ;). would love to have an octavia, a foxx tone machine, etc.

I lucked into a univox superfuzz and its awesome..theres something about the byoc clone of it tho that i really like also Its a bit more scooped.
The octane 3 sounds diffren than either of those. Its not as smooth and at times gets that breaking apart rumble thing like Neil young or like inthe vid I posted. When you hit a low chord on it its like this complete rumbling mess that slowly forms into a recognizeable note after a few second...love that sound. like the first couple seconds here....

moose23

Sounds deadly, I need to make myself a Superfuzz at some point soon. Have a few Tone Machines and two Psychtars on the bench waiting to be housed. Really like the Tone Machine on bass but still want that Beastie Boys Gratitude sound.

The Shocker

Quote from: Chovie D on October 17, 2011, 05:19:42 PM
Quote from: moose23 on October 17, 2011, 01:05:05 PM
All your favourite fuzzes are Superfuzzes!  ;) Well I think the 3 might be slightly different but the Octane II was a straight up Superfuzz clone with the scoop switch replaced with a pot.

LOL you are right.... :D

I DO like the other octave fuzzes tho too, i just dont own them  ;). would love to have an octavia, a foxx tone machine, etc.

I lucked into a univox superfuzz and its awesome..theres something about the byoc clone of it tho that i really like also Its a bit more scooped.
The octane 3 sounds diffren than either of those. Its not as smooth and at times gets that breaking apart rumble thing like Neil young or like inthe vid I posted. When you hit a low chord on it its like this complete rumbling mess that slowly forms into a recognizeable note after a few second...love that sound. like the first couple seconds here....

Shit man, I've been trying to sell my Guyatone TZ-2 here for forever...

http://www.guyatone.com/Tz2.php

Chovie D

well i guess everyone has a differnt idea about what sounds good to them in a fuzz.

some of the first fuzzes plugged right into your guitar, like the boss tone from jordan (lower right). The boss tone is a very good sounding smooth fuzz. I built a pedal that the thing plugs into so I didnt have to have it hanging off my guitar and so I culd step it on and off easily.
the lil izzy is some kind of pickup impedence matcher and the newer looking middle one is a 'boo-wah' button.
You plug it into the side of your steel guitar and when you smash that button it goes "Boo-wah". In the old days they used doorbells wired to a tone cap  :D its lke a kill swith type switch, when you press it the swithc operates and stps operating when you release it, so you tap the button to get the desired effect

Chovie D

and a shot of the boss tone's board, like other early fuzzes its failry simplistic

bitter

Reminds me of the original muff fuzz I've seen in stores. Lovin' it.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Lumpy

Somebody should buy Deaner's Guyatone "the Fuzz" pedal, it's a nasty and wild fuzz. Inexpensive for a superfuzz clone, too.

How much, Deaner?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Derelict78

^ I love mine for a "tame" superfuzz sound

The Shocker

Quote from: Lumpy on October 17, 2011, 07:01:10 PM
Somebody should buy Deaner's Guyatone "the Fuzz" pedal, it's a nasty and wild fuzz. Inexpensive for a superfuzz clone, too.

How much, Deaner?

Damn Lumpy, that pedal price link's not working anymore.

How about $45 shipped?  It's in like new condition.

Don't mind the dog hair, I'll clean it off.

Lumpy

That's probably the cheapest way to get into a superfuzz clone. Cheaper than buying the parts and building it yourself, maybe. I have an FZ2, it's a screamer. Why you selling it, Deaner? What fuzzes are you using?

Superfuzz is my favorite type of fuzz too (I haven't heard a bunch of other types though, like the Fuzzrite or the Bosstone -- not that I know of). I like lots of gravelly texture (I don't like 'smooth fuzz' that seems to be pointless, to me).

The Shocker

Just not using it.  I'm strictly a bedroom player & I've been concentrating on playing clean lately.

Lumpy

Save it for later. Give it to your kid, when he starts playing guitar. It'll be vintage by then... 'collector's item'!

Some pedals, I can see selling (expensive stuff you'll never use, or stuff you hate) but some pedals are potentially useful, and the money you'd get in return might not be worth it... going to the post office, and all that.

Instant Dan

Quote from: Baltar on October 15, 2011, 11:07:44 AM
Ronsound makes a Scrambler too called the Over Easy.  Yeah Wikipedia was pretty correct on Ron's gear.  Those Marshalls he had were fucking purple!

Ronsound also makes some great reproduction muff clones. I had the Ramhead with the 3 way mid switch. That thing sounded good. I regret selling that pedal.

The Shocker

Quote from: Lumpy on October 18, 2011, 01:15:28 AM
Save it for later. Give it to your kid, when he starts playing guitar. It'll be vintage by then... 'collector's item'!

Some pedals, I can see selling (expensive stuff you'll never use, or stuff you hate) but some pedals are potentially useful, and the money you'd get in return might not be worth it... going to the post office, and all that.

I see your point, but I'm more of a if I'm not using it why not sell it guy.  If down the road I want a fuzz I'll try something else out.  Still, it's not like I'm putting it on ebay.