Self Built (Point to Point) Budget Doom Head for 400 bucks, Orange based circuit

Started by dunwichamps, October 14, 2011, 10:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xayk

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 15, 2011, 03:36:29 PM

Then again, absolutely no-one else has chimed in here, so maybe everyone is happy with the MOD kit, or nobody is wanting to build their own amp.

Apologies, I've been drinking.

Quote from: dunwichamps on October 14, 2011, 05:00:25 PM
I emailed them for the kit instructions in detail so I can see how easily this can be done.

That's probably what I'm most curious about at this point.  If it's $400 and a bit more in passives, I'd really like to take a swing at one.  If everything but the transformer isn't useable (or isn't usable in a best-case scenario) then I'd probably look at sourcing parts and digging up layouts.

I've considered Weber kits, but most people I personally know who've bult one just say that it was a good experience, but they're not in love with the amp.  And it would bum me out to spend $600 and come out with a positive experience and mediocre amp.

But I truly appreciate the discussion, and look forward to electrocuting myself in the near future!

dunwichamps

Quote from: xayk on October 15, 2011, 06:23:08 PM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 15, 2011, 03:36:29 PM

Then again, absolutely no-one else has chimed in here, so maybe everyone is happy with the MOD kit, or nobody is wanting to build their own amp.

Apologies, I've been drinking.

Quote from: dunwichamps on October 14, 2011, 05:00:25 PM
I emailed them for the kit instructions in detail so I can see how easily this can be done.

That's probably what I'm most curious about at this point.  If it's $400 and a bit more in passives, I'd really like to take a swing at one.  If everything but the transformer isn't useable (or isn't usable in a best-case scenario) then I'd probably look at sourcing parts and digging up layouts.

I've considered Weber kits, but most people I personally know who've bult one just say that it was a good experience, but they're not in love with the amp.  And it would bum me out to spend $600 and come out with a positive experience and mediocre amp.

But I truly appreciate the discussion, and look forward to electrocuting myself in the near future!

I think the trannies are perfectly good, exactly they are pretty damn nice for a kit. Prolly will not need too many extra passive to get this thing built. A layout is possible to come up with as long asu your good with the design of this amp.

SoupKitchen

Quote from: dunwichamps on October 14, 2011, 03:49:40 PM
here you go, this covers preamp up to PI, doesnt include FAC, should just build it out front. right click and hit view image or what nor

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2172/budgetorange.png

it looks a little complex but most of that shit gets mount on the pots (all of the components of the bax stack do) it can be done with terminal strips. It would really be a great simple build that destroys crap commercial amps

Am I wrong, or are the bias feed resistors incorrect? One is 220K and one is 100K, are they intentionally mismatched?

dunwichamps

Quote from: SoupKitchen on October 17, 2011, 09:37:22 AM
Quote from: dunwichamps on October 14, 2011, 03:49:40 PM
here you go, this covers preamp up to PI, doesnt include FAC, should just build it out front. right click and hit view image or what nor

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2172/budgetorange.png

it looks a little complex but most of that shit gets mount on the pots (all of the components of the bax stack do) it can be done with terminal strips. It would really be a great simple build that destroys crap commercial amps

Am I wrong, or are the bias feed resistors incorrect? One is 220K and one is 100K, are they intentionally mismatched?

my bad, sloppy sloppy. yes they should both be 220k. No need for that kind of inbalance, you get plenty of asymmetry from the unequal halves of a phase inverter.

liquidsmoke

Budget doom head for $400? Used Laney GH50L's go for less than 400 on Ebay. Just sayin  ;D

dunwichamps

Quote from: liquidsmoke on October 19, 2011, 03:08:39 AM
Budget doom head for $400? Used Laney GH50L's go for less than 400 on Ebay. Just sayin  ;D
i should amend the title

hand built PTP doom head for 400 dollars

Hemisaurus

You can actually modify the title, just modify your first post in the thread and change the Subject.

I'd suggest Self Built, rather than Hand Built, or give some other indicator that your getting a pile o' parts, not a working model for your money.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 19, 2011, 09:55:13 AM
You can actually modify the title, just modify your first post in the thread and change the Subject.

I'd suggest Self Built, rather than Hand Built, or give some other indicator that your getting a pile o' parts, not a working model for your money.

thanks and done, should I call you Hemi?

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

xayk

dunwichamps, did you ever hear back from Mod regarding the layout/options they include?

dunwichamps

Quote from: xayk on October 19, 2011, 01:28:56 PM
dunwichamps, did you ever hear back from Mod regarding the layout/options they include?

they gave me a sample set of incomplete instructions

i can email them to u if you want

it comes with a lot of shit but they didnt tell me everything

A layout could be created from the pdf they gave, it includes the mount holes for the terminal strips. all that would be needed is to calibrate the size of the chassis using the mounts for the transformers

clockwork green

I've always wanted an amp with a Trainwreck preamp into a Matamp power section...how doable would that be?
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Hemisaurus

The power section is kind of standard, though i guess I don't really know Trainwrecks, sounds like you just want a T'wreck into an EL34 quad?

I know Ceriatone have boards for Trainwreck clones, you might want to start there, layout ideas, or just buy a board and add on for the extra pair of EL's?

bitter

Quote from: clockwork green on October 19, 2011, 05:48:53 PM
I've always wanted an amp with a Trainwreck preamp into a Matamp power section...how doable would that be?

That would be a nice combo. If I recall correctly Trainwrecks amps aren't being made anymore, so kinda have to go the clone route. Weren't they always lower wattage amps to begin with. Having a high wattage power section coupled with that unique hi gain preamp would be something. 
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

dunwichamps

that version of the wreck shown has a long tail pair phase inverter with 2 preamp tubes so in the MOD kit this is not realizable without tapping slots for new tubes.

The wreck expression has 3 gain stages into an LTPI if you modded the 3rd gain stage to be a driver a cathodyne then you could get the Orange PI/Power amp with a wreck-esque preamp. Of course you loose the mid control with just a B and T, could be done with concentric pots of course tho

Hemisaurus

Might it be better, to build that one on the $515 Marshall kit from Weber you mention? More holes for pots, more holes for tube, 100W for a power stack?

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_60b.htm#8cm100

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 19, 2011, 06:50:25 PM
Might it be better, to build that one on the $515 Marshall kit from Weber you mention? More holes for pots, more holes for tube, 100W for a power stack?

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_60b.htm#8cm100

yea better off doing that, better layout space.

xayk

Quote from: dunwichamps on October 19, 2011, 02:03:10 PM

A layout could be created from the pdf they gave, it includes the mount holes for the terminal strips. all that would be needed is to calibrate the size of the chassis using the mounts for the transformers

i'd be curious to take a look at them if you're of a mind.  would the power section of a theoretical Orange clone be much different from what they're suggesting?

dunwichamps

Quote from: xayk on October 22, 2011, 05:16:29 PM
Quote from: dunwichamps on October 19, 2011, 02:03:10 PM

sure whats your email

They are most likely using a long tail pair so yes it would be different, as you would not get the same phase inverter overdrive characteristics
i'd be curious to take a look at them if you're of a mind.  would the power section of a theoretical Orange clone be much different from what they're suggesting?

clockwork green

I always figured there'd be something unusual with the Matamp/Orange power section since they sound so much different than many amps in that they're so cold and dead sounding at low volume but become amazing when cranked.   Many amps sound better when cranked but with Matamp's it's much more dramatic and they just sound so bad when quiet.  I also just love the dynamics of some of the Trainwrecks I've heard...super touch responsive and since they go for upwards of $100,000 these days I'll never get to play a real one. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"