Main Menu

My dream rig....

Started by RAGER, October 15, 2011, 11:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

or one of them at least.

Ok let me preface this with the fact that I can only listen to about 2% of what this guy does.  But he's got great tone and the rig set up that I want.

2 4x12's split into 2x12's 4 heads switchable.  2 of which are 6l6 amps and 2 of which are EL34 amps.

Here's a rig rundown and below that I posted a live thing that I can actually listen to.  it's kind of a medley of sorts.

No Focus Pocus

clockwork green

He's what boring suburban blues lawyers listen to, to feel edgey and contemporary.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Hemisaurus

Could you consolidate it?

Two amps, one stereo 6l6, one stereo EL34, or do you need all 4 preamps for it to work?

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

2 amps thats all I really think is needed. I dont get the 4, thats just 2 more amps that could need teching

bitter

I like that he's running similar amps for similar flavors but different dynamics. But I agree, too much switching and I think 2 amps would be best.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

At_Giza

Quote from: clockwork green on October 15, 2011, 06:00:12 PM
He's what boring suburban blues lawyers listen to, to feel edgey and contemporary.
I heard the lawyer for the place I used to work for listening to him. That amuses me greatly.

Also, aside from everything else, he sounds like a guy who knows that he has no idea what he's talking about, but talks anyway...

AND, as everyone else has said, two amps for sure. I could see getting all his tones from just two of them. I imagine he's got to switch between every single song he plays, but I dunno, I don't listen to him much.

RAGER

Yeah yeah i know about all the blues lawyer shit.  I'm able to compartmentalize my love and hate.  hate 98% of what he plays but I think he's got killer tone and i dig the amp set up and would be able to use it.  Two amps good, 4 amps better.  They're all voiced differently.  if you play with a lot of dynamics this could work really well.  he has a new band with Glenn Hughes, Jason Bonham, and the keyboard player from Dream Theatre.  Fuking awful.
No Focus Pocus

Hemisaurus

Well could yo do it the other way? Two twin channel amps, one EL34, one 6L6, both able to run either one or both of their channels simultaneously?

RAGER

I can't believe you're talking me out of more amps.  You should be talking me into MORE amps.  sheesh some friend you are.

but seriously i don't like channel switching amps.  I'd rather work on two single channel amps than one channel switcher.  Come to think of it, all my amps are single channel with the exception of my sunn concert lead.
No Focus Pocus

Hemisaurus

Do you use ABY boxes anywhere? If you just wanted to run 4 simultaneous channels, all the time get an amp wired for both channels at once. Or get Dunwich to build you a Mondo Amp, a giant 200W power transformer and 4 separate 50W output trannies, it would be heavier than an average amp, probably about weight with an SVT, but easier than 4 separate amps.

It's not that more amps aren't fun. It's just they're not fun when you have to pack them into the tour vehicle, or carry them upstairs to the gig ;)

I'm trying to get it down to having a twin channel preamp in a pedal, and carrying a single power amp, that would be my ideal. I think the guy from Sandia Man does that with his Mesa pedal and a power amp, I forget which dude that was.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 17, 2011, 11:31:40 AM
Do you use ABY boxes anywhere? If you just wanted to run 4 simultaneous channels, all the time get an amp wired for both channels at once.

It's not that more amps aren't fun. It's just they're not fun when you have to pack them into the tour vehicle, or carry them upstairs to the gig ;)

I'm trying to get it down to having a twin channel preamp in a pedal, and carrying a single power amp, that would be my ideal. I think the guy from Sandia Man does that with his Mesa pedal and a power amp, I forget which dude that was.

racerx

also, i wish i had the same type setup, but i do not. although i'm paring it down to 1 head and 2 cabs. that's better than it was 2 or 3 years ago.

dunwichamps

Do you use ABY boxes anywhere? If you just wanted to run 4 simultaneous channels, all the time get an amp wired for both channels at once. Or get Dunwich to build you a Mondo Amp, a giant 200W power transformer and 4 separate 50W output trannies, it would be heavier than an average amp, probably about weight with an SVT, but easier than 4 separate amps.

lol Mondo i dig that. Building channel switching amps = sucks!!!. You never get optimum results for either channels. A 2 amp setup is probably best, one optimized for one thing, another for something else. If you need more power you can always master slave the whole setup 2

Discö Rice

Quote from: dunwichamps on October 17, 2011, 11:44:59 AM

lol Mondo i dig that. Building channel switching amps = sucks!!!. You never get optimum results for either channels. A 2 amp setup is probably best, one optimized for one thing, another for something else. If you need more power you can always master slave the whole setup 2

and then hope the sound guy gets it right enough that it matters, I suppose. I understand liking certain sounds to a point, but no one needs four different amps to get their point across. That shit is just silly.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

RAGER

That shit is just your opinion you mean
No Focus Pocus

Hemisaurus

I was suggesting a non-channel switching, 1 input feeding 4 preamps feeding 4 power sections simultaneously. It would be eminently do-able that way, just need a lot of tubes, bu when you look at something like the Mesa 400 or the Peavey VB, with 12 power tubes or so, your talking say 1.5 to 2 double triodes per preamp, and 2 power tubes per power section, so 8 preamp tubes and 8 power tubes.

It really would be 4 amps in one, the only commons being the input jack, and the power section, or maybe you could even stretch the first triode to be common to all 4 circuits, to buffer the signal, and then split it of.

Blame greenman for the Mondo comment.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 17, 2011, 02:29:16 PM

I was suggesting a non-channel switching, 1 input feeding 4 preamps feeding 4 power sections simultaneously. It would be eminently do-able that way, just need a lot of tubes, bu when you look at something like the Mesa 400 or the Peavey VB, with 12 power tubes or so, your talking say 1.5 to 2 double triodes per preamp, and 2 power tubes per power section, so 8 preamp tubes and 8 power tubes.

It really would be 4 amps in one, the only commons being the input jack, and the power section, or maybe you could even stretch the first triode to be common to all 4 circuits, to buffer the signal, and then split it of.

tranny requirements would suck!!!!!! 8 power tubes lol thats like at minimum 8A of heater current for the power tubes (assuming 6L6s)

Discö Rice

Quote from: RAGER on October 17, 2011, 01:45:29 PM
Whatever makes you feel better about your silliness.

RAGER

Quote from: Discö Rice on October 17, 2011, 02:34:39 PM
Well it's kinda like telling the drummer he doesn't need some of his cymbals.  More than a couple cymbals is just silly??  i'd never do that.  And besides the og topic is "dream rig".  When you dream you're supposed to go big no?
No Focus Pocus

Hemisaurus

Quote from: dunwichamps on October 17, 2011, 02:31:59 PM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 17, 2011, 02:29:16 PM

tranny requirements would suck!!!!!! 8 power tubes lol thats like at minimum 8A of heater current for the power tubes (assuming 6L6s)
Not so terrible, Weber's Ampeg replacement xfmr pushes 12A heater current, and a 12AX7 only draws .3A so that's another 2.4A, you still have almost 2A spare capacity.

If you can't find a single 400W supply, you could double up with two 200W supplies. The big bugbear would be fitting all that on a single chassis. Maybe Plitron have something off the shelf, toroids would save a bit on weight too. I know Plitron do a 400W output for 8 6550/KT88's, I imagine they do a matching power xfmr.

Hemisaurus

Actually 4 6L6's @ 900mA, 4 EL34's @ 1.5A, 8 12AX7's @ 300mA = 12A  ;D

moose23

Quote from: RAGER on October 17, 2011, 02:44:18 PM
Quote from: Discö Rice on October 17, 2011, 02:34:39 PM
Well it's kinda like telling the drummer he doesn't need some of his cymbals.  More than a couple cymbals is just silly??  i'd never do that.  And besides the og topic is "dream rig".  When you dream you're supposed to go big no?

Yeah for sure!

My dream rig is just two heads, one  with 4x12/2x15 and one with 2x12/2x15/2x15. Matamp or Orange head on 4x12/2x15 and Trace Elliot PA500 running with a Tech21 Oxford pedal on the other side. Only other pedal on the Trace side would be one of my Dobsky Fuzzes (big muff derived bass fuzz). The other would be modulation effects, another Dobsky and various other Octave up fuzzes and the like.

Discö Rice

I see your point, Rager, but when it comes to drums, the frequency with which one hits their array of cymbals is generally much greater than the frequency that one switches between amp settings. A more accurate comparison would be between having four different, switchable amps, and say, four snare drums made of different materials. If your talking about me specifically, I have two crashes, a ride, hi-hat, a china and a stack of broken cymbals, and a 4 piece kit. Pretty standard setup for the heavy. I've considered paring it down to 1 crash and a crashable ride, but I cant seem to find a comfortable balance between a good crashing position and a good riding position (heh).

And to that point of amps and snare drums, I'd say I can understand why someone would have two to switch between, even though in most cases you could get it done with one, but four just seems cumbersome and unnecessary.

Edit: \m/ Unless you're running all four at once. \m/

RAGER

All voiced differently.  For instance.  my Orange OR120 and my Marshall Super Bass are both EL 34 amps but sound vastly different.  But neither one sounds anything like a 6l6 or 6v6 amp.  One of those would maybe be set up for total chimey cleans and the other over driven Fender type tones but both would be unable to do what the Orange or Marshall could do which would each being doing something different on their own.  Bla blah blah......anyways
No Focus Pocus

dunwichamps

Quote from: RAGER on October 17, 2011, 03:40:43 PM
All voiced differently.  For instance.  my Orange OR120 and my Marshall Super Bass are both EL 34 amps but sound vastly different.  But neither one sounds anything like a 6l6 or 6v6 amp.  One of those would maybe be set up for total chimey cleans and the other over driven Fender type tones but both would be unable to do what the Orange or Marshall could do which would each being doing something different on their own.  Bla blah blah......anyways

You would be surprised to know that swapping tubes in your amp does not have the biggest effect on the tone, your reference to 6L6 amps is more likely a reference to their overall circuit design rather than say the fact they are 6L6, commonly Fender amps have had 6L6s but there sound is more of a factor of having a certain tonestack, circuit design and setup.