Main Menu

THE GIG THREAD

Started by liquidsmoke, October 21, 2011, 02:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

Good to know, this is about what I thought. Without covers our set is about 35. If we bring back the covers and do half hour sets we can rotate songs in and out to change it up, I like that idea very much although it's more to practice and keep up on. I have to practice songs on a regular basis or I fuck them up.

moose23

I'd drop the covers and concentrate on getting the flow of the songs in a certain order and do that for a while then mix up the set every so often.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: moose23 on September 15, 2012, 05:49:42 PM
I'd drop the covers and concentrate on getting the flow of the songs in a certain order and do that for a while then mix up the set every so often.

Yeah we actually did drop the covers a few months back so we'd have time to play our 6 originals twice each at our 2 hour after work/before it's getting kinda late to be playing loud practices. I'd like to bring at least one back. Doing a half hour set we'd only be able to do 5 songs so we could mix the other 2 in and out, that would at least keep things from getting boring until we start writing new stuff again. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

everdrone

tip the soundguy and tell him what you want.  I have had a bunch of stuff stolen, one of my friends bands had their entire set of gear stolen, so watch out for that!  If your in it for the $$ then join a cover band, and avoid pay to play!!!  stay for at least the band after you. have band business cards with website on em, bouncer etc might work at another bar etc etc...  also realize that band tshirts might not sell so well so test out the market first.  dont get worked up about selling cds since most wont buy em these dayz

chlorpromazine

Get your shit on and off the stage as quickly as possible.

Lumpy

More than 30 minutes is too long, unless your band rules. Even then, more than 30 can be too long. If your band is only just 'good' or okay and plays more than 30 minutes, it can get really annoying. After 20-25 minutes I'm ready to hear you say "this is our last song" unless you are the headliners. Better to leave people wanting more, that way they will be interested in seeing you again. 25 minutes is a good length, or 20 if you're a punk rock band with short songs.

Don't play covers. There may be an exception to that, but I doubt it. There's no upside to playing a cover, IMO, unless you're a teenager/first band/not serious.

I hate shows that don't run on time, bands who take a long time to set up/break down, and standing around waiting for shows to start. Only rock shows seem to have a problem with starting on time, this kinda stuff doesn't happen with film screenings, poetry readings, theater performances, sporting events, or at clubs that have their shit together. Or if you're going to run your show on a leisurely schedule, don't book 4 or 5 bands. Maybe have 3 bands with set times at 9/10/11. IMO shows should end around/before midnight on weeknights, maybe midnight to 1am on weekends.

Just my opinion as an audience member, not a musician.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

MichaelZodiac

I disagree with the covers argument. For me, a cover is a perfect way for a band to make a statement, especially if you're a beginning band. Even after playing a weaker set if you end with a cover, it can be leave the audience wanting more. I'm a huge fan of covering things your own way, change it up a bit. It'll make it more interesting.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

eddiefive10

Spoken as a dude of the late nineties hardcore scene, sell shit for a profit as cheap as possible, people are more likely to buy your cd if its under $5 and with shirts I'm cheap and I won't buy a $20 shirt but sellem under $10 and its a deal, also remember we all aren't skinny little emo kids make 2 or 3 xxl shirts and the fat guys will buy them too!!!!

everdrone

from last thread in this room on this subject, check out these guidelines for gigging, they apply to most original bands: http://dyingscene.com/news/13-common-sense-guidelines-for-playing-in-a-punk-band/

AgentofOblivion

It only took us one or two gigs to get the hang of things.  You just need to do it and then afterwards talk with your bandmates and say, "What should we do differently next time to make it go smoother and sound better?"  I agree that you should mainly focus on getting your stuff on and off quickly.  Make sure everyone knows what they need to do and to help out if someone finishes before the others.  No one should be sitting around idle while others are working.  When it comes time to soundcheck, make sure you're playing at basically your loudest.  Hopefully you already have your switching planned out so there's no drastic volume changes.  The solo boost is the exception, but I would try to get your band to quiet down in those parts as well instead of relying on your boost pedal increase to translate well over the PA.  Lastly, and this will come after 2-3 shows, you should work on a set, not a collection of songs.  Your band will seem more professional if you seamlessly transition between songs rather than play one, stop, play another, stop...etc. 

liquidsmoke

I just see covers as fun and have had a blast rocking out double hard when bands play them live but I appreciate all opinions on this topic.

James1214

1. be responsible for your gear, only you know if you have everything you brought.

2. have your vehicle tetris down, if you pack the same way every time then you know what goes where and if anything is missing. damnweevil had our van setup down pat. basically if everything has a home it makes load into and out of the gig easier and faster. for instance we could load 4 412's, an 810, 3 heads, 4 guitars, 2 basses, 5 piece kit (plus all related hardware) and all extra gear boxes and merch in about 25-35 minutes. (also metal dave's tip about backing the van against a pole or wall is a priceless and invaluable tip, also get a folding sunshade, if its your van tint any rear windows as much as legally possible, the less anyone sees the less inclined they'll be to steal your stuff.)

3. its okay to have a beer or 2 before the gig (or 7-10 if you're metal dave) but do not get wasted before you play, if you are sloppy cuz of the sauce you wont be fun to watch, you may thing you're the most charming thing ever when in reality you are making a fool out of yourself. i speak from experience, one night in colombus we were getting shots delivered to the stage by someone in the crowd, i blacked out halfway thru the set, apparently i ended the night climbing the van and dancing a jig on the roof, makes a funny story but not a good gig.

additional note, on tour have a designated driver every night, rotate nightly, dui's are no bueno

4. keep extras of any consumables, picks, strings, fuses, batteries, cords. prepare for the worst and pray for the best.

5. on tour have a good toolkit and a chilton guide for the vehicle you are traveling in, also look into AAA road service. you will break down 100% guaranteed on the road. if you are somewhat mechanically competent you should be able to fix some small things like changing an alternator, or replacing a fan belt, or fixing a busted hose or things of that nature, you will save money. for the bigger issues that 100 free miles of towing from AAA can be a lifesaver.

6. another tour tip, even if you plan on staying in hotels (which is cost prohibitive) bring a sleeping bag and a pillow, floors and couches get offered up all the time. in damnweevil we brought tents too and would camp if the season was right. additionally it doesn't hurt to rotate sleeping in the van for security purposes it sucks but it beats having gear stolen, also if rotating designated drivers the driver does not have to sleep in the van cuz they got you to your destination safely (bonus!!!)

7. have a bucket, write "gas money" on it and walk around after your set (not during other bands' sets though) and ask for gas money, chat with people be nice and don't beg. again back to touring experience we would often make an additional 50-100 bucks a night at most places, once we pulled in almost $300 in the bucket, which was more then 2 times what we got from the door.

anyways i could keep going, but ill stop for now.

words

spookstrickland

Here are a few I've picked up over time:

1 ) Don't be late getting to a gig if you can help it.  Nothing feels worse than running behind and it really pisses off the other bands.

2 )  If you are the singer, get your own mic unless you like the smell of Beer, Lip Balm and or already have herpes.

3 )  Drink Plenty of water all day, by the time you feel thirsty it's too late and are already dehydrated.

4 )  Become an expert on over the counter medication for all your aches and pains, Upset stomach and the shits.  The show must go on and there is no time to experiment, learn what works best for your body and have some of what ever you need the most of on hand all the time.

5 )  You can never have too many 9v batteries

6 )  Always have Jumper Cables and Fix-a-flat in your tour rig, not only for your band but you might just help some one else out too with a jump after a gig.

7 )  A soldering Iron and a multi Meter are also a good thing to have in your tool kit.

8 )  A nice big Maglite for the van and a good personal size flashlight for everyone is also good idea. Make sure to change the batteries often so if you have to change a tire in the dark you can do it.  Also them Big Maglites are good for more than just seeing in the dark ;)

9 )  If you don't read, start now a good book can really help pass the time and there will be plenty of that.

10 )  If anyone wears glasses an eye glass screw driver is worth it's wait in gold.

*Bonus tip for staying healthy during or after a gig:  "Sniff Test" ;)

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Andrew Blakk

A lot of great advices. Fantastic!

My advice: You need get over the time issue as fast as possible. Yes, you are going to have to wait for hours and hours before a gig. And if you need to travel 500 km to get to the gig it will always take longer than you expect. So don't complain about it, just deal with it.  Those precious minutes on stage are worth it... :)

core9

liquidsmoke

Playing live is awesome! I fucked up bunch but people (not knowing our songs) didn't seem to notice too much. I could barely see my fretboard at sound check and they brought out a light we clipped onto the side of the PA speaker near me that saved my ass. Now I want to learn to play the songs with my eyes closed. The whole thing was surreal but we got a good response and it felt good. The work paid off.

The dripping sweat from loading the cars and the venue in and out though, wow. My shirt smells like I ran 3 marathons.

Rock 'n' fuckin' metal!

moose23

Quote from: liquidsmoke on November 09, 2012, 03:47:00 AM
Playing live is awesome! I fucked up bunch but people (not knowing our songs) didn't seem to notice too much. I could barely see my fretboard at sound check and they brought out a light we clipped onto the side of the PA speaker near me that saved my ass. Now I want to learn to play the songs with my eyes closed. The whole thing was surreal but we got a good response and it felt good. The work paid off.

The dripping sweat from loading the cars and the venue in and out though, wow. My shirt smells like I ran 3 marathons.

Rock 'n' fuckin' metal!

Deadly! Wait til you play under stage lights and you'll know all about sweating. Nobody ever notices your mistakes unless you royally cock up.

Pissy

Quote from: moose23 on November 09, 2012, 05:40:21 AM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on November 09, 2012, 03:47:00 AM

Rock 'n' fuckin' metal!

Deadly! Wait til you play under stage lights and you'll know all about sweating. Nobody ever notices your mistakes unless you royally cock up.

Deadly is the right word.  You will now spiral into the unrewarding world of playing live at the ground level.  Welcome!!

I shouldn't put it that way though.  Playing live is fun, if you don't get too emotional about stuff.  As time has gone on I have learned that getting emotional about circumstances beyond my control is a waste of effort, that will likely shorten my life.  Concentrate on your set, communicate with your bros and the staff, and have a blast, and don't get a DUI or weedUI (they have a roadside test for Weed here in NC FYI) and you will enjoy this hobby immensely.  That's my advice, don't get emotional.
Vinyls.   deal.

moose23

Deadly is used as a good thing here kinda like sick or something in the US. Good life advice there too.

Ombrenuit

No pauses. Don't change tunings. Don't talk.

grimniggzy

What is the best instrument cable length when you are singing and have your guitar going into a pedalboard which is near the vocal mic? How about those coiled ones? What is the best cable length to run from a pedalboard into your amp?
I use these for now, they work fine http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102962

Do venue/sound people freak if you use your own vocal mic and run a vocal effects unit? Where do you put the house mic during your set?
I always use my own, an SM57 but I don't run effects for vox. I tuck the house mic under the handle of my Beta Lead.

Do drunk idiots sometimes spill beer on floor pedals that are close to the edge of the stage/on the floor near the crowd? If this happens mid song do you just keep going and then try to clean it up after the song is over?
Never had this happen. Pretty sure my RAT has been through worse though.

Is it now the norm to give all of your gig money to the touring band(assuming you are a local band on a bill)?
YES! Always.

Tips on how to save/spend gig money for broke musicians?
BUY USED! also...
http://www.hellomusic.com/newLanding.aspx
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid/?icid=200510

Tips on how not to have gear stolen at gigs?
I just throw everything in one of those huge green army bags when I'm done.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Ombrenuit on November 09, 2012, 09:09:14 AM

We paused to tune a bit between songs but that's partly because I have a new guitar and I'm still getting used to it. No tuning changes for sure, I've heard bands fuck that up really bad and be out of tune the rest of their set. I did talk a bit, I said thank you after most of the songs and before our last song thanked the people involved in putting together the show and maybe the venue and relayed info about one of the bands having to cancel, it seemed like the right thing to do since we went on first.

liquidsmoke

The guy who helps with the soundcheck(not the sound guy, there was no "sound guy") was totally cool with me using my own mic and effects. I use a lot of reverb.

Quote from: grimniggzy on November 09, 2012, 12:57:34 PM
What is the best instrument cable length when you are singing and have your guitar going into a pedalboard which is near the vocal mic? How about those coiled ones? What is the best cable length to run from a pedalboard into your amp?
I use these for now, they work fine http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102962

Do venue/sound people freak if you use your own vocal mic and run a vocal effects unit? Where do you put the house mic during your set?
I always use my own, an SM57 but I don't run effects for vox. I tuck the house mic under the handle of my Beta Lead.

Do drunk idiots sometimes spill beer on floor pedals that are close to the edge of the stage/on the floor near the crowd? If this happens mid song do you just keep going and then try to clean it up after the song is over?
Never had this happen. Pretty sure my RAT has been through worse though.

Is it now the norm to give all of your gig money to the touring band(assuming you are a local band on a bill)?
YES! Always.

Tips on how to save/spend gig money for broke musicians?
BUY USED! also...
http://www.hellomusic.com/newLanding.aspx
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid/?icid=200510

Tips on how not to have gear stolen at gigs?
I just throw everything in one of those huge green army bags when I'm done.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Pissy on November 09, 2012, 06:44:25 AM
Deadly is the right word.  You will now spiral into the unrewarding world of playing live at the ground level.  Welcome!!

I shouldn't put it that way though.  Playing live is fun, if you don't get too emotional about stuff.  As time has gone on I have learned that getting emotional about circumstances beyond my control is a waste of effort, that will likely shorten my life.  Concentrate on your set, communicate with your bros and the staff, and have a blast, and don't get a DUI or weedUI (they have a roadside test for Weed here in NC FYI) and you will enjoy this hobby immensely.  That's my advice, don't get emotional.

I can be a very uptight anxious guy so I tried to stay as calm as possible all day leading up the our set and it helped. Mostly I try to be a go with the flow person. The good thing is that Madison seems to be very ready for a doom metal band right now and we seemed to go over very well. It helped that we played the built in crowd place. I'm sure there will be some shows that we just play to the other bands but that's normal. I probably drank a tad too much but I had no problem loading all of my gear into my car and then basement by myself at/after bar time. I had to stick around and ride the post set high and hang out with friends and chat folks up. Fun stuff!

RacerX

Quote from: Ombrenuit on November 09, 2012, 09:09:14 AM

Changing tunings is not necessarily a bad thing, but I'd recommend using a pretuned second guitar to do it.
Livin' The Life.