Main Menu

Best None Gibson SG???

Started by spookstrickland, October 24, 2011, 06:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isabellacat

This is one of my primary guitars. Bought it back in '04 for $250 brand new at a local guitar shop. I added the Junko Mizuno sticker myself. It's made by an unknown company called Yarinoo.Funny but when I first saw it displayed in the store window I was flat broke,but then a month later it became mine.

Anyways it's in serious need for restoration at the moment. Bottom pickup is broken and needs to be fixed as well as the toggle switch that broke off. This pic was taken back in '06 before some real damage was done.

spookstrickland

Quote from: Isabellacat on November 03, 2011, 03:18:16 AM

This is one of my primary guitars. Bought it back in '04 for $250 brand new at a local guitar shop. I added the Junko Mizuno sticker myself. It's made by an unknown company called Yarinoo.Funny but when I first saw it displayed in the store window I was flat broke,but then a month later it became mine.

Anyways it's in serious need for restoration at the moment. Bottom pickup is broken and needs to be fixed as well as the toggle switch that broke off. This pic was taken back in '06 before some real damage was done.

I love those Oddball guitar companies that know one has ever heard of but make awesome knock offs.  I've got a Flying V copy by some company named Polaris and it's the only one I've ever seen but it's really great! I wish I could find another.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

The Shocker

Nice guitar.  You have a picture of the headstock?

Isabellacat

Quote from: deaner33 on November 03, 2011, 08:44:38 AM

Nice guitar.  You have a picture of the headstock?

Yea I do ...I gotta dig it up tho.

The Riffer

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on November 02, 2011, 08:47:02 PM
Quote from: The Riffer on November 02, 2011, 08:38:08 PM
I have an early 200's SG400 custom shop model from Epi. Stock pickups even. Sounds fantastic, plays just as well. For 200 clams, it was a no brainer. Not quite as bright and cutting as my bro's Gibson sg custom, but damn close for 1/10th of the price.

Losing the stock pickups will sort that, think the stock ones went for output at the cost of high end, in a pretty crude way I think, hot but dull, you can get hot and lively with some nice ones.
Oddly enough, the fuckin bridge bucker died today. I hate it when I NEED to buy gear. ;D The stock pickups do sound good with lots of gain, not so much clean. I will replace the set with a Burstbucker 1/2 combo. I sold an identical CS sg400 a few years back with that combo. The guitar was that rad Pelham Blue with small pickguard. I still miss that guitar. Now I can make this one sound the same. I think I'll do a pushpull pot to reverse phase while I'm at it so I can get my peter green  similarity tone going on.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

Isabellacat

This is the only pic I can find atm that shows the headstock. This is me jammin' out with it back in '09(and mind you I never really liked this pic of me either lol..).

The Sovtek head and Marshall amp is'nt mine tho,belongs to another poster here. I have'nt plugged in my guitar in two years but I'm sure it still plays okay despite some minor wear.

Isabellacat

The only info I can find about Yarinoo guitars on the net....

http://estore.haightashburymusic.com/yarinoo-used-big-hollowbody-wbigsby-elec-guitar-wbag-47170

i kinda assume they must be an SF company.

ryansummit

im about to pull trigger on a epi g-310 if no one has a reason to stop me
ive been wanting a 400 for a while and have been told
(not by seller) that its same as 400 with a bolt on neck
i know thats a big difference, but is a 310 unplayable in anyones eyes(ears)

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Metal and Beer

How much?

• If it's 50 bucks, hell yeah

• If it's 500, keep looking

?
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

johnny problem

There is a big drop in quality between the 310 and 400 line.  I'd say pass, unless under $50 like stated above.

The Shocker

Better off getting a set neck Jay Turser for G-310 money.

ryansummit

thanks
ill let it pass
definately not $50
and its a long drive to try it out
gc's never had them in stock

eyeprod

Quote from: Lumpy on November 01, 2011, 09:42:25 PM
Do these non-Gibson SGs sound like Gibson SGs? I'm interested in a low budget SG, but not for the shape... for the sound. (big Alice Cooper fan... both guitar players played SGs)

So which of these lo-budget guitars sounds the most like a Gibson SG?

^^ kind of what I was wondering after reading through the thread. I've got a 69 sg special that is hard to beat. It sounds amazing, and the way it's built and aged is hard to describe. The neck binding feels like part of the wood. After picking up many old gibsons I have yet to find one that feels the same way. Most feel like the binding, frets, etc are tacked onto the wood. Even LP customs that I've tried have not felt the same. Modern guitars that look like an SG??? Never touched one that didn't feel like a toy. Too often, a cheap plastic toy. I have a hard time believing that those look-alikes sound like the real thing. Get a real gibson sg or an epiphone at the very least.
Ideally, I would suggest looking for an actual gibson or high quality japanese copy from the 70's or earlier. IF it's really about the tone, that is. They look cool regardless.
CV - Slender Fungus

everdrone

heh the SG is the best! 

unless u are a bassist, then I recommend the rick 4003! I love mine and my SG  ;D

tombhex

Quote from: Isabellacat on November 03, 2011, 09:28:38 PM

i've spent the past year and a half looking for a trans blue or trans green sg copy, and that guitar is exactly the look i was hoping to find!

lucky! i love it!

The Shocker

Dude, what are you doing invoking the name of the beast?

tombhex

Quote from: The Shocker on June 05, 2012, 01:37:40 PM
Dude, what are you doing invoking the name of the beast?

i'm assuming it was you who just smote me for that post. what do you mean? something i'm missing here?

The Shocker

Nah, it wasn't me who smoted you.

tombhex