Main Menu

Best None Gibson SG???

Started by spookstrickland, October 24, 2011, 06:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spookstrickland

And cheap too.  I'm looking for the best sounding SG copy I can find that wont break the bank.  It's OK if it's not currently made as long is it is still plentiful in the used market.

thanks
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Hemisaurus

John got the Xaviere shortly before he departed, sounded good.

Baltar

Well, if you can find an Eastwood Corona...he stopped making 'em, which surprised me.  The fretboard has zero fucking radius.  Flat like a Gibson Sonex, and fast.  But I haven't seen many used.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Chovie D

I lke my eastwood baritone well enough i guess, but its very heavy. feels like the body is made of some kind of compressed really dense material??

the plastic nut was trash and had to go. I swapped out the chinese p90's for lollars, and the cheap chinese toy pots for CTS..and noticed NO difference in sound on that so ...i guess those chinese p90's were okay.

The Shocker

It's better than the Gibson SG I used to have.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

Baltar

Yep, I dropped a $50 Bone nut in it.  GFS pups too, treble bleed etc.

Baltar

Ranbat

Hello? Rondo? Agile Valkyrie III?  http://www.rondomusic.com/product815.html  I have one and dig the hell out of it. I've had Gibson and Epiphone SGs and this one was more to my liking.

If that isn't cheap enough  http://www.rondomusic.com/zekeblack.html  you have the Douglas Zeke. I'd guess it's gonna need new PUPs though. But, it's $99.
Meh :/

Hemisaurus

Are you looking for mahogany specifically?

Ranbat

Quote from: deaner33 on October 24, 2011, 07:57:05 PM

I've thought about getting one of those too. If they had one in Transparent Cherry Red I'd probably buy one.

bitter

I wish rondo would do their bodies differently. More like a traditional sg rather than esp viper. If they did a full sg clone/knockoff with the same specs as my al-3000 (Where applicable), I'd be all over it.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Ranbat

Quote from: bitter end on October 24, 2011, 11:17:09 PM
I wish rondo would do their bodies differently. More like a traditional sg rather than esp viper. If they did a full sg clone/knockoff with the same specs as my al-3000 (Where applicable), I'd be all over it.

Look for an older Valkyrie on eBay. They used to be more of an SG clone, but I believe Gibson sent some lawyers knocking on their door. Something happened because they changed their headstocks too. In an age of internet buying, I think Rondo puts a bigger dent in Gibson's Epi sales and Fender's Squier sales than either of them would like. Back to the topic, if you can find an older Agile Valkyrie, they are alot closer to an actual SG than the current version.

Valkyrie 2 I believe. If I remember right, the original Valkyrie was pretty much a spot on copy except for the headstock.

El Zombre

I have a less deluxe (flat, not carved top) version of this guitar and I love it:

Ranbat

Or there's these. The pic is the 7 string version, but they came in 6 strings too. DeArmond by Guild. They're usually fairly reasonable. There is a Squier version too that usually goes pretty cheap.

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

kirky

which model is that?

spookstrickland

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 24, 2011, 11:14:59 PM
Are you looking for mahogany specifically?

Not sure really, I just want that nice fat rounded tone of a Gibson SG

Thanks for all the info guys you have given me some good tips find something good.

Thanks
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

The Shocker

Quote from: kirky on October 25, 2011, 02:03:50 AM

which model is that?

It's an Arbor Lyric.  Found a link with them:

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/Arbor_Guitars_Products_at_MusiciansBuy.html

I got mine off of ebay new a few years ago for about $150 and it's way better than any $150 guitar should be.  Nice set neck, good frets.  Had to change the tuners as they were crappy, but that's about it.  I changed the pickup cover on mine & had my father inlaw cut me a black pickguard, but that was just for looks.  I've had a lot of guitars come and go, but this one is a keeper.   

fallen

I'm really tempted to build up an sg from that kit but I know nothing about gluing a neck joint.

Chovie D

Id just buy a 70's gibson. The SGII's are still fairly cheap. Like this one that i got for $375 (ten years ago). ive seen em recently for 5-6 bills tho...absouletly wonderful guitar great neck, shittiest pickup ever (gibson minibuckers), but you replace those wiht the lollar minibuckers and your golden.

Instant Dan

TBH, I see Gibson SG's (the specials) for steals these days. An brand new SG Special (HB form) for $450 on CL the other day. If you really don't want that, I reccommend that Squier clone.