One of the best guitar tones ever!!

Started by BrianDamage, November 07, 2011, 10:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianDamage

Of course the Reverend Willy G has always had killer tones.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

justinhedrick

les paul into a harvard amp, if i'm not mistaken?

BrianDamage

Not sure about the amp. He used all different kinds as far as I know. Whatever it is it sounds killer.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

BrianDamage

Looks like you would be correct sir.  I want a hat like his as well lol.

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

VOLVO)))

No shit, @2:30ish, Billy G does the Dixie Dave hop!
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

BrianDamage

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

dunwichamps

He uses lots of different cool gear, I saw them a few months ago and they played a bunch of different stuff. the tone on tres hombres is quintessential rock, there are lots of stories behind exactly what he used, could be a Tweed or a Marshall but I guess in the end of the day he can play pretty much any amp and get his own sound out of it.

Chovie D

he's got a warehouse full of old fender amps. Said his favorite was the V front Super.(first amp ever to use two speakers i think?)
He also uses pedals tho right? expandora and before that the foxx tone machine? supposedly two or three expandoras in a row!!
Pretty sure thats what i read in an interview.

dunwichamps

TV front tweeds yea, I bet with a lil touch you could get that kind of sound if you wanted it

Chovie D

ungh...it looks much more complicated than we suspected. The littel tqweed there does appear to be a tv front pro? harvard? princeton?
look at the expandora tree  :D

justinhedrick

it has been said that the expandora tree is not used. also, i want to say that it has been replaced with an analog man tree.

his live tone now is pretty much all jmp1 pres and digital graphic eqs.

dunwichamps

You could get it down with a Weber 50s kit, plenty of tweed there for the taking.

They got a TV front option 2

All this discussion has me GASsing for that kinda sound and a 2x12 combo

Chovie D

I dont like the components weber uses. if Im gonna build my own amp, i want to use the best components available.
I built a mojo tweed deluxe and like that very much.
I want a real fender tweed someday tho...a princeton would be perfect or a pro.

that photo above appears to be from rythmeen which was what 6 years ago or so?
I dont get why he always trees together five of the same fuzz ???

dunwichamps

Quote from: Chovie D on November 08, 2011, 09:27:50 AM
I dont like the components weber uses. if Im gonna build my own amp, i want to use the best components available.
I built a mojo tweed deluxe and like that very much.
I want a real fender tweed someday tho...a princeton would be perfect or a pro.

that photo above appears to be from rythmeen which was what 6 years ago or so?
I dont get why he always trees together five of the same fuzz ???

I replace their switches, caps, resistors, sockets, and tubes everytime. Sometimes PTs and OTs but I have heard shootouts between them and other high priced stuff and they were as good or better. Their PTs are just standardized so they dont fit enough of the applications I need.

johnny problem

xayk

I started to obsess over Billy's tone randomly about two weeks ago.  The thing I find awesome is that studio vs. live don't particularly sound the same, but they both sound incredible.

The Shocker

It's the silly light strings, just like Iomi.

BrianDamage

Aren't the super light strings a newer thing for him? I know he also used to used ground down pesos for picks.

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

Baltar

Anyone here own or play an Expandora pedal?  I guess it's a good mix of an OD and a Fuzz.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Chovie D

Quote from: Baltar on November 08, 2011, 02:47:44 PM
Anyone here own or play an Expandora pedal?  I guess it's a good mix of an OD and a Fuzz.

In dont but have been wanting to try one out. why would anyone  string together 5 of em tho?
I mean not to argue with THE man, he obviously knows what hes doin...

RacerX

Quote from: Chovie D on November 08, 2011, 02:53:10 PM

In dont but have been wanting to try one out. why would anyone  string together 5 of em tho?
I mean not to argue with THE man, he obviously knows what hes doin...

It's also widely known that he loves fucking with people's heads about what gear he uses.

It still seems to be working.
Livin' The Life.

The Shocker

Man, after doing some reading about them, I want one.

jibberish

i saw that cheap sunglasses tour. nina blackwood the old mtv vj introduced them too for the clevo show