Best Wood for a Strat w/P-90's ?

Started by MikeyT, November 23, 2011, 03:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeyT

I bought a loaded Strat style P-90 pickguard (2 pups) with the intention of putting it on one of my Strats.
I like traditional single coils, but wanted one Strat w/P-90's for Rock'n'roll/Rockabilly & related stuff.
I'm leaning toward Ash w/Rosewood; but wanted your opinions/ideas.
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

Mr. Foxen

Strats in wood never look quite right to me, too fiddly I guess.

RacerX

Mahogany & Rosewood.

*edited to add: I don't think the fretboard material changes the tone as much as the feel. For example, rosewood's gonna provide more resistance on bends & maple's like ice.
Livin' The Life.

justinhedrick

Quote from: RacerX on November 23, 2011, 08:16:44 AM
Mahogany & Rosewood.

*edited to add: I don't think the fretboard material changes the tone as much as the feel. For example, rosewood's gonna provide more resistance on bends & maple's like ice.

agreed with the neck comment. rosewood fretboards are more . . . chewy (if that makes sense), maple are more snappy . . . again, i hope you can make sense of my moronic morning musings.

Baltar

Ash, maple.  Just like a '72 Tele DLX
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Baltar on November 23, 2011, 10:55:23 AM
Ash, maple.  Just like a '72 Tele DLX

yeah, i'd pick that with a black stain so you can see the ash grain. and all blacked out hardware. oh, and stained headstock. i usually don't like those, but it sounds good on this.

SpaceTrucker

Ash and maple, just like my t40. heh, but really All mahogany sounds great with p90s and I don't like the sound or feel of rosewood at all.(except on acoustics, but that's cause I don't have one with a maple fretboard.)

mawso

P90s don't pump out massive amounts of low end, so i think generally you'd opt a warmer sounding wood.. which speaks well for the mahogany, basswood, and rosewood.

I don't think there's really a wrong answer tho.

Isabellacat

Mahogany with Rosewood for me  :)

I've got an early 90's Strat(made in Korea) and it was built that way.

Frets still play smooth after all these years. Maplewood ain't bad either.