Main Menu

OD250 vs Microamp

Started by Instant Dan, November 27, 2011, 12:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Instant Dan

Been using my amp's hi-input (jcm800) more as of lately and not the lo-input and my rat or pharaoh as a dirt box to clean. Right now I am using a SD1 as a boost of sorts, yet I am interested in these two as Chris Spencer used an od250 to drive his Marshall JMP and Seen the Microamp as a mainstay on a lot of pros and weekend warriors boards. I would be using it to just juice the front end of my amp more.

Corey Y

The Microamp is purely a clean boost, so it's only going to give you some grit if the volume on your amp is dimed. I'd suggest going with the 250 or maybe something like a tubescreamer, SHO or rangemaster style pedal if you want something to push the front end harder and get some more grit.

bitter

I use a diamond pedals marquis treble/clean boost to juice the front end of my rig. I like it more than my Tubescreamer for boosting. Both modes offer grit as the germanium transistor is in the circuit, but the treble boost has a nice coloration and saturation that works well with my amp set a little dark.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Baltar

2nd on the Rangemaster.  I have the LBP-1 now and like it a lot, but my amp is dark and woofy unless I use my MKII.  I'm aiming for a RM too since my Screaming Tree is wonky.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

xayk

I use a YJM308, which is a slightly modified 250 as my only boost/OD.  I like it more than any LPB or TS type pedal I've used, and enough to trade my Voodoo Lab Overdrive away (which also sounded great.)  Personal preference and yadda. 

A few people have absolutely raved about the JHS Banana Boost, which operates as both a Rangemaster and an LBP-1.

Baltar

JHS=right-wing born-again Christian thief.  Fuck him.

xayk

Quote from: Baltar on November 28, 2011, 09:32:17 AM

No shit?  I'll have to do some Goog'ling.

moose23

I'm a big fan of the DOD250 but I've built my own with some different components to get a wider range out of it. The standard is a bit too trebly for me but works well as a treble boost/dirt into a dark amp (imo).

bitter

Could you elaborate please? I know they've caught shit for producing clones of boutique effects, but that isn't really unheard of or heavily frowned upon. Is there more going on to this story?

justinhedrick

Quote from: bitter on November 28, 2011, 12:34:44 PM

Could you elaborate please? I know they've caught shit for producing clones of boutique effects, but that isn't really unheard of or heavily frowned upon. Is there more going on to this story?

yeah, i tried to find some stuff online to no avail.

bitter

All I know (from reading biased internet comments) is they made a clone of a klon centaur OD (amongst other circuits) and the klon guy asked them to stop, which they did. When Klon stopped making that effect they asked if they could start cloning again. They were given permission to build the clones as long as klon wasn't actively building them (i.e. at some point in the future).

That's my understanding; how much of it is accurate/factual, I am not sure.

justinhedrick

Quote from: bitter on November 28, 2011, 01:57:59 PM
All I know (from reading biased internet comments) is they made a clone of a klon centaur OD (amongst other circuits) and the klon guy asked them to stop, which they did. When Klon stopped making that effect they asked if they could start cloning again. They were given permission to build the clones as long as klon wasn't actively building them (i.e. at some point in the future).

That's my understanding; how much of it is accurate/factual, I am not sure.

so, do they still make the klone, or?

bitter

I think you have to contact them for the klone (therein lies potential shadyness on their part). The vid (Dated from a year ago) I watched was by that fastredpony car guy on youtube, and he contacted them to order his.

Baltar

Yeah, I guess he ripped of the Devi Hyperion. Least that's what Devi said.  He tries to pass it off as his own circuit.  It's one thing if you clone, but...

Chovie D

Quote from: bitter on November 28, 2011, 03:25:15 PM
I think you have to contact them for the klone (therein lies potential shadyness on their part). The vid (Dated from a year ago) I watched was by that fastredpony car guy on youtube, and he contacted them to order his.

Ive always wondered what was so special about klons. The tone on that vid is very similar to the tone of my marshall 18 watt goosed with a tubescreamer. Theres an original one for sale on a forum i frequent..$1000. :o

bitter

I'm starting to find that overdrive in general is finicky. A lot of claims made and not a lot delivered. Tubescreamers and their multitude of variants are a good example. I hear complaints they all sound relatively similar in the end.

All the klons and timmys and whatever other boutique brands may sound good but the hype and prices turn me off. finding a nice od/boost to juice your up your rig shouldn't be so uppity. For the money you mentioned that clone was going for, I'd rather invest in an 18w jobbie and tubescreamer.

Corey Y

Most tubescreamers I've played sound pretty much the same. In my experience the hype about what type of chip is in it is totaly BS, also heard plenty of shootouts that bust that bit of hype as well. A buddy of mine made me a vintage spec, hand wired, NOS part tubescreamer (for pretty cheap) and we put it side by side with what was essentially the same circuit with Radio Shack parts and you couldn't hear a difference. I also put it up next to a soundtank version (the cheap plastic Ibanez series from before the smashbox) and it sounded pretty much the same. After owning a bunch of cheap mass market pedals, boutique pedals and having a lot of different styles made for me for pretty much cost I think there is a huge amount of expectation bias when it comes to pedals. Sometimes when you pay for hype it HAS to be good. A lot of pedal freaks rave about stuff will rain fire down on naysayers...and sell it to buy something else in no time. That's just my opinion, other people might have different standards or tastes and they're welcome to their consumer choices by all means, doesn't mean every expensive pedal isn't worth the money. Some brands make very simple designs that are much copied, but they might offer one or two features that no one else does and they produce a quality product.

I like the look of the Catalinbread Naga Viper. Silicon Rangemaster type pedal, but with adjustable gain and freq sweep. That's a very basic idea, but cool and usable. I would try out something like that for a good boost/mild OD into a tube amp.

Baltar

^^^^^Very good advice.  The Homebrew Rangemaster clone is pretty good too and not outrageous.  Or an original Fulltone Fat Boost 1 or 3.  The first one is a lawsuit clone of the the Jack Orman Booster and there were 2 on Ebay in the $100 range.   I just modded my LPB-1 w/ a cap change to give it some more treble and it was EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fulltone-Fat-Boost-1st-Gen-Effects-Pedal-/230704985001?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35b716b3a9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HomeBrew-Electronics-H-B-E-Germania-Treble-Booster-/170738189147?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item27c0ca035b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HomeBrew-Electronics-Germania-Booster-Guitar-Pedal-/270800295788?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3f0cf4976c

bitter

Quote from: Corey Y on November 30, 2011, 04:34:06 PM
I like the look of the Catalinbread Naga Viper. Silicon Rangemaster type pedal, but with adjustable gain and freq sweep. That's a very basic idea, but cool and usable. I would try out something like that for a good boost/mild OD into a tube amp.

As mentioned above, I ended up with a Germanium treble booster and its super simple and does what I need it to do. it also has a clean boost mode that blends the Ger. transistor with a jfet but it doesn't sound good as a gain boost.  

Chovie D

I agree with most of what Corey said...the basic thrust of it.

I only own two tubescreamers and to me they  do sound fairly different. I own the soundtank verison and the ts808 reissue.
The resissue is perfect for me. The soundtank lacks something..hard to pinpoint
I built the BYOC tubescreamer clone and it came with 3 chips to try. The chips all sounded radically differnt to me. One was BBurrbrown, one was the trad tubescreamer NOS chip, cant recall what other was but wanna say mosfet? settled on trad chip as sounding best with least noise. Thats a pretty good pedal and what i would be using if I didnt have the resisue ts808. but ya know a 250 sounds fine too, depnds a bit on the amp as well I think. almost anything sounds killer in front of my 18 watt.

I agree overdrive is a tricky effect. Theres enough good ones tho to not ave to pay boutique prices for any IMHO. i dont see a klon making $1000 worht of differnce in my tone. Thats why i mentioned it sounding remarkably similar to my tubescreamers tone in front of a good amp.

Worthless Willie

$1000 for any OD is fucking stupid.

That's my opinion.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

Instant Dan

I have a hard time justifying a $100 for onoverdrive.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Worthless Willie on November 30, 2011, 06:33:43 PM
$1000 for any OD is fucking stupid.

That's my opinion.

my whole rig didn't cost this. or even half of this.

Chovie D

well, not suprisingly it hasnt sold at that price yet. maybe some japanese business man will buy it.
^racist

mawso

Yeah I've also noticed that there is maybe 0.5% difference between different TS-style boosts

If you're into that kind of boost then I guess that 0.5% difference might be worth making a fuss over

I personally find it way too nasal and compressed sounding.  Although it undeniably sounds great with some amps.

Going back to the original post, the OD250 is a fkn awesome unit and would go really well with a single channel JCM800.  My housemate has an old script-logo MXR distortion+ and the 250 is very similar in that it has that same sweetness and violin-like sustain.. but the DOD has a little more articulate and defined on the pick attack.. which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you're looking for.  I tend to think the 250 is perfect for playing solos with - if you're wanting to run an "always on" kind of boost then it wouldn't be my first choice. 

Last time I checked, the reissue 250 and 308 could be bought brand new on ebay for very little $$, it's worth it just to buy one even if it might not be the be-all-and-end-all pedal.  I know that my 308 is something I bought just cos I felt like a toy, and it's ended up being my go-to boost, and the only effect that I run most of the time.