Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes

Started by Woody, December 01, 2011, 09:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody

Finally got around to reviewing one of my favorite live tapes. Went up on Ripple today -

http://ripplemusic.blogspot.com/2011/12/scorpions-tokyo-tapes.html

GodShifter

Dude, whoa, first and foremost - you saw a copy of Americade's American Metal on vinyl?? Snatch that puppy up! vinyldinosaurus would love a copy. (I promised him mine and, sadly, I cannot find it anymore).

Secondly, excellent review of that album. I know it so well that it's like second nature to me reading your review. I know every single part that you're talking about and even the history of the songs. I had not realized, however, that Uli had decided to leave the band at the time of those recordings and was just fulfilling his obligations. That, in itself, makes me hear those songs, perhaps,a bit differently.

I'm not sure I agree with you about the Hendrix thing and Trower being the only dude to successfully take JH's playing to their own unique style. What about Frank Marino? He definitely did. But, you did say "one of a few", so I guess maybe Marino falls in the "few" category?

Again, great review.

vinyldinosaurus

Nice review! "Suspender Love" is another great track that was exclusive to this album until a studio version showed up as a bonus track on a Taken By Force CD reissue. And yes...I'm still looking for that damn Americade album...

Woody

Good points one and all! I totally forgot about "Suspender Love" being a b-side.

I wrote the review in a frenzy just hours after picking it up. I lent my original LP to a dude when I went a way to college in 1985 and never got it back. It's so great to have it reunited with my other classic double lives.

libertycaps

70's Hard Rock live dlp's could be a genre of it's own.

Woody

Quote from: vinyldinosaurus on December 01, 2011, 12:22:28 PM
And yes...I'm still looking for that damn Americade album...

If I make it back to that store on Long Island anytime soon I'll get the Americade tape for you if it's still there. They also had a copy of Herman Rarebell's "Herman Ze German."

vinyldinosaurus

Love 70s double live lps. I just got Uriah Heep Live 1973 at a record expo this past weekend for $5.

Thanks! That'll be sweet! I've already got Herman Ze German (and also Nip In The Bud).

Isabellacat

Quote from: vinyldinosaurus on December 01, 2011, 03:31:25 PM
Love 70s double live lps. I just got Uriah Heep Live 1973 at a record expo this past weekend for $5.

Thanks! That'll be sweet! I've already got Herman Ze German (and also Nip In The Bud).

Right on. That Heep live album rules. Early Scorpions are excellent too.