Main Menu

Bass+pick

Started by bass sic, December 03, 2011, 05:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bass sic

Is it not cool to use your fingers playing bass anymore? All the bands I'm seeing and playing with lately are all pick players. When I started playing in the 80's you were considered a pussy if you didn't use your fingers. I don't think that way now of coarse, but I'm wondering why I seem to be the only one out here fingering?

moose23

Been using a pick since I started in the mid 90s, love the attack from the pick and can never dig in as hard with my fingers. Play around the house with my fingers regularly all the same, good to be able for both but I don't have so much stamina in my fingers.

bass sic

I can appreciate the attack from a pick, and can emulate it pretty well with my fingers. I am working on my picking skills just so I can do both. I'm just not seeing anyone out there using fingers.

giantchris

Use fingers mostly but I can play with a pick just fine.  I think its probably due to a lot of bass players are converted guitar players and might find learning fingerstyle daunting.  It does take a bit to get good at it if you are already proficient on pick might not want to put the work in.

Lumpy

If you're playing fast music, it's extra hard to play with your fingers. Or you have to be extra good. You can skip that hurdle with a pick.

"Yeah, but I can play really fast with my fingers"

For 30 minutes straight? (live set). If so, go to the head of the class.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

bass sic

I learned all the maiden stuff when I was a kid and then on to metallica, so I can keep up pretty well even in my old age.

bbottom

I've always played with my fingers and dig the way that sounds more than with a pick. Although I'm not opposed to using a pick form time to time.

The really weird thing is that most of my favorite bass players use a pick

hashbrowns

I like a pick for thrashy or deathy stuff cause it gives me that attack but for the sort of music we play here (riffy stonerish) I highly prefer playing with my fingers. Just gives me a nice warm tone.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

RAGER

I'll be doing some fingering tonight
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

only fingers for me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Ayek

Everything I need to do I can do with my fingers, it suits the way I play best.

Metal and Beer

I'm about 60/40 pick/fing...I hold a pick in my right hand w/ my ring & pinkie while fingerbangin' then bring the pick into play when my fingers puss out I need it..
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Pissy

I've always used my fingers. A select few things call for a pick, but I don't have one, I'll use my fingers there too. I've noticed that the pick attack can be simulated with long fingernails. As a result clipping my nails is a part of me pre-show 5 hour warm-up. I also make a tea out of a goats amnionic fluid and orphan tears. It really helps.
Vinyls.   deal.

Lumpy

I've seen guys pinch their thumb/index together to form a pick shape, but only for select bits, not for a whole song (ouch).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

bass sic

I'll have to try that tea, sounds delish.

yesca

Quote from: Lumpy on December 04, 2011, 10:06:21 AM
I've seen guys pinch their thumb/index together to form a pick shape, but only for select bits, not for a whole song (ouch).

i do this as well for certain parts

Metal and Beer

Quote from: Pissy on December 04, 2011, 09:36:29 AM
I also make a tea out of a goats amnionic fluid and orphan tears. It really helps.

Fuck yeah, ever mix that with the blood of the homeless and whiskey?
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

cat shepard

Fingers, Dick, whoops, pick, whatever i gotta do.

Discö Rice

Mostly pick. I started on guitar, got a bass and it just felt natural.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

SpaceTrucker

I've been playing  with my tongue lately. I tried my teeth but My nose was too big, so I just stuck my tongue out and it actually sounds pretty good. Like fingerstyle but slippery.

BaseApe

Quote from: SpaceTrucker on December 04, 2011, 05:05:40 PM
I've been playing  with my tongue lately. I tried my teeth but My nose was too big, so I just stuck my tongue out and it actually sounds pretty good. Like fingerstyle but slippery.

violin bows are also good.  requires less saliva.

Danny G

I like when my female bass player/finger picker friends refer to male bassists who use a pick as "pussies." ;)
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

VOLVO)))

I do the flamenco chord strum shit some times, rake down with all fingers at once.

FINGERS 4 LYFE
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mortlock

you have to be versitle..dont limit yourself..learn everything..

inductorguitars

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 04, 2011, 10:27:46 PM
I do the flamenco chord strum shit some times, rake down with all fingers at once.

FINGERS 4 LYFE

Fav flamenco song.