Black Sabbath ~ Black Sabbath

Started by MikeyT, December 06, 2010, 09:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeyT

Just heard it a little over 40 years ago...

THIS IS GENIUS !

Beautiful album cover. Brilliant, creative song writing and musicianship.
Powerful, charismatic singing from the man who was BORN to sing this style of music.

'Wicked World' is the first track I heard from s/t.
It electrified me then; and (may I use this cliche one more time?) it never gets old.
Love the lyrics, and especially the way he sings them:

"The world today is such a wicked place
Fighting going on between the human race
People go to work just to earn their bread
While people just across the sea are counting their dead

A politician's job they say is very high
For he has to choose who's got to go and die
They can put a man on the moon quite easy
While people here on earth are dying of old diseases

A woman goes to work every day after day
She just goes to work just to earn her pay
Child sitting crying by a life that's harder
He doesn't even know who is his father."

Awkward ?  Well, yes. A bit.
The impassioned delivery makes the words live, though. Ozzy is pronouncing judgement on the world !

The Wizard, Warning, NIB, Black Sabbath, and the rest are equally great.

"Your love for me has just got to be real."

It is, Ozzy, it is.

Thanks for building the foundation(s) of Heavy Metal.

Now listening to:   NIB from BLACK SABBATH s/t

sleestak

What is this that stands before me?!
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

Doommantia

Timeless album that still sounds as heavy as ever.

db3jed

Timeless indeed and the blueprint for a few generations worth of music.
I never get tired of this album.

reeferchief

The riff on NIB is one of the best ever, Tony Iommi pure awesome.

Doommantia

Side one of the album is wall to wall classic riffing, side two not so much but even that still sounds fresh, even Iommi's solo break still kicks ass.

The Shocker

Sometimes simple is better production-wise.  Wish more bands took note of that.

sylvesterlowery

Quote from: deaner33 on December 06, 2010, 04:34:07 PM
Sometimes simple is better production-wise.  Wish more bands took note of that.

Agreed!
I use:
Ibanez SF 420,Ibanez S-Classic,Ibanez RG 321,Ibanez RG 7321,other Ibanez, Jackson,B.C. Rich, Squier and Hondo giutars
Crate Power Block,Carvin 4x12
Boss,Ibanez,Arion and BBE pedals.
Band-myspace.com/blackholecaravan

Mr. Blue

I really hope these guys get back in the studio, and put out something.  I have to say it... The latest Ozzy... I play it quite a bit.
3 reasons why James said that his Black Sabbath record was important:
"First it scared the shit out of me. Second, it crushed the fuck out of all the peace'n'love'n everything's groovy bullshit that was still hanging around in the early seventies. And third, my friends moms wouldn't let them own it

MikeyT

I thought it might be fun to post some quotes about Sabbath s/t pilfered from FuzzRock,com (before they're gone forever):

"IDK why, but the S/T is in permanent rotation. yes, it IS that fucking awesome."
- jibberish

"i havent listened to the self titled in a while, friends had it on as background music last weekend. i guess i should delve into it more...."
- fuzzbot247

"yeah, it's weird, but i always go back to the S/T. even the cover is maybe the best cover depicting what's inside ever..who knows, but that simple and dark lashing out for the first time sound just has something in it."
- jibberish (again)

"I listen to them pretty regularly. More than any other classic rock band. Their self titled is the best debut album in history."
- sleestak

"Growing up it was Zep, Sabbath and Purple for me. Being a drummer myself Rat salad was bad ass. I was never a fan outside of anything Ozzy. Favorite recordings were Sabbath1, Vol.4 and Sabbath bloddy sabbath. The heavy riff in the middle of bloody sabbath was an all time favorite riff even to this day. i was never an Ozzy fan outside of Sabbath.
No matter how heavy heavy metal gets if it aint Tony Iommi it aint shit!....end of story."
- Destiny

" like all their output as well, but I'm in rare agreement with the majority that the s/t is the best."
- Jotun

"C'mon, as much as I love Iggy and the Stooges there has never been an album made that is better than the Sabs debut!"
- Pentakilo

"No doubt each are the holy of holies among perfect rock albums.

I'm going to choose based on longevity - I've had BS s/t for 25 years, Fun House for 20 ... the one I still put on is Sabbath. Love FH, but I rarely listen to it the last 10 or so years."
- soulfinger

"The s/t Sabbath record is my favorite album of all-time, so this is easy.

I love Funhouse too, but a couple of its tracks annoy me. The Sab album is perfection through and through."
- GodShifter

"Black Sabbath First Album Signed by the whole band"
- The_Howl (from the "Your Most Prized Vinyl" thread)

Doommantia

"Black Sabbath First Album Signed by the whole band"
The_Howl (from the "Your Most Prized Vinyl" thread)

I have Paranoid signed by the whole band, I have a pic somewhere.

MikeyT

That's very cool.

I looked at your website, too.

Your heartfelt tribute to FuzzRock.com (aka SR.com) was moving.

lowdaddy

my introduction to sabbath...killer front to back.  so heavy, so natural and easy-flowing but so fucking heavy.  nothing in it is forced...like a fucking big-ass river flowing down hill.  it's a steamroller of an album.  the wizard has always been my favorite track off this album.  this album is the cornerstone of heavy metal and the reason we're all here, on this board, talking to one another.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

Mr. Blue

I have a beat to shit 1st pressing of this.  The cover is barely held together.  I love this record...
3 reasons why James said that his Black Sabbath record was important:
"First it scared the shit out of me. Second, it crushed the fuck out of all the peace'n'love'n everything's groovy bullshit that was still hanging around in the early seventies. And third, my friends moms wouldn't let them own it

MikeyT

Wish I had all the LP copies I had over the years. It's partly a sentimental thing, but on the other hand, they were just cool.  :'(

I had one of the English (?) ones with the gatefold jacket and Evil Woman on it.

EddieMullet

They had this promotion at the National Record Mart when The Ultimate Sin was a new release, if you bought the (then) new Ozzy album you could pick any Ozzy Sabbath album and get both for 10 bucks.

I picked the S/T and by the end of the end of the week the Ultimate Sin was all but forgotten.  My copy had Ozzy listed as Ossie Osbourne and Behind the Wall of Sleep was listed as Behing the Wall of Sleep.

Doommantia

Somebody asked me the other day how do I know if I have the original pressing of Sabbath's debut and this is how you know. I know it is trival but I thought I would share it with you anyway. The label should have this text: "A Philip Record product" under the Vertigo swirl. Here is a pic.

I have had my original pressings for well over 25 years but there is still ones that pop up on E-Bay from time to time. Black Sabbath and Master Of Reality (w/original poster) you can expect to pay $300 - $600 (mint condition)  while Paranoid and Vol.4 go for $100 - $200 last time I looked into it.

MikeyT

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

Isabellacat

I still can't believe I met Ozzy over a year ago,totally crazy. anyways I need to get this on vinyl again. Got it on 8-track tho and it sounds really epic even on that. Like reading an old comic book. First song is still heavy after all these years.

Isabellacat

MikeyT

That's very nice, Isabella.
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

Isabellacat

Quote from: MikeyT on April 25, 2011, 08:23:23 PM
   That's very nice, Isabella.

thanks  :)   i was rockin' out to that yesterday actually..... i've heard this on CD, tape, vinyl and Mp3 but nothing is as epic as hearing that on 8-track. Geezer's bass sounds way more fuzzier and so does Tony's guitar.

i played it after hearing my Monkees 8-track too.

jibberish

i was going to reply..but someone did it for me :) nice.

coincidently..#1 just came around and im listening to S/T and lovin it...as always....

.very last solo on very last song is just finishing up....

Damocles74

The greatest gift is that radio didn't ruin the experience! You could play almost any track off that first album and be guaranteed that the lay person hasn't heard it.
Redditor Lucis Aeternae