Main Menu

Gibson 50's tribute

Started by bass sic, December 06, 2011, 12:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bass sic

Im inches away from pulling the trigger on this thing and somebody needs to talk me down. Mostly for the 4 payment deal at Zzounds which makes it easier to swallow even weeks before Xmas. But Ive heard good/bad about this thing. Im not expecting the world, just a halfway decent guitar. Ive actually filled out the order form and just waiting to hit send. That fuckin close.

VOLVO)))

Pass, I don't trust new production gibbys.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bass sic

Cmon dude, this is the only way Im gonna be able to afford anything decent. How bad can it be?

mortlock

Metal and Beer

Quote from: bass sic on December 06, 2011, 01:04:55 AM
Cmon dude, this is the only way Im gonna be able to afford anything decent. How bad can it be?

Personally, I wouldn't assume these things are "decent", especially over the internet...
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

The Shocker

Do it!  You can always send it back if it sux.

Baltar

Gibson made a fuck of a lot of guitars in the 50's, mind narrowing it down?
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

bass sic

It's the 50's tribute which can be seen at Zzounds.com. It looks to be the same as the worn series, no frills and maybe a little cheaper materials. The one bad thing I see but may be able to overlook is the fret board is "baked maple". No rosewood or ebony here.

The Shocker

Quote from: bass sic on December 06, 2011, 09:35:16 AM
It's the 50's tribute which can be seen at Zzounds.com. It looks to be the same as the worn series, no frills and maybe a little cheaper materials. The one bad thing I see but may be able to overlook is the fret board is "baked maple". No rosewood or ebony here.

The baked maple is getting good reviews at least.  Probably not going to see any rosewood or ebony on new Gibsons for the foreseeable future.

Baltar

SG?LP?Firebird?ES-335?  Sorry for sounding snarky, just wondering which model you're looking at.

bass sic

Yea that's the one, an LP cherry burst. I'm waiting for someone to talk me out of it.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: bass sic on December 06, 2011, 01:04:55 AM

It could be a total piece of shit. I've played many, many of these guitars, and they all have major issues.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

hashbrowns

I dunno that seems expensive for a studio paul. I see them for 500 on craigslist sort of frequently. Also in the 800 dollar range there are better guitars I'm sure especially if you go used. You might want to just put aside the money like your making payments and when the time comes get something better. I honestly don't really like low end gibsons that much. They play worse than my epiphones and while they do sound better, the difference is not enough to warrant spending that much more money. I would do some more research for sure man.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

yesca

you don't need a gibson for a halfway decent guitar:P the guy making Agile guitars off rondomusic has got some good stuff

hashbrowns

Also I know that people here might think that they're lame but ESPs are pretty awesome and they're really cheap these days. Find one with a fixed bridge and it should do you right. I mean I would just recommend you play any guitar you can with a fixed bridge, humbuckers, and a mahogany body. Then you can make a more informed decision. Don't write off brands that make "metal" guitars like esp, jackson, schecter, and ibanez just cause they're not "cool".
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

Baltar

bass sic

Alright I've been talked out of it. But where are you seeing studios for 500? If I could find one for that that I like I can break out the plastic.

Baltar

My first was a '92 Studio, I paid $660 for it in '92, new off the rack.  A few years later, Gibson doubled the price.  They've hung around $900-$1200 for years.  They're ok, specially the ones from the early '90's.  I'd almost rather save up for a Hertiage 140 or 150, and have Kzoo wood made at the original Gibson factory.  Small, boutique, reasonable prices. Very reasonable and made and owned by guitar players.

EDIT:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Heritage-H-140CM-Les-Paul-Curly-Maple-Top-Burstbuckers-USA-made-w-gig-bag-/260895102758?pt=Guitar&hash=item3cbe8f5726#ht_500wt_715

hashbrowns

You can find studio lps for around 500-600 on craigslist fairly often. Still though man I would definitely recommend checking out some of the brands that are considered metal. A piece of mahogany with humbuckers and a fixed bridge is gonna be pretty similar no matter what the headstock says.

Baltar

MikeyT

Talk you out of it?

OK, I'll try.

Features

Handcrafted in Nashville, TN USA Mahogany chambered body
    Maple top
    Grain textured satin finish
    Set mahogany neck
    Baked maple fingerboard
    '50s neck profile
    Corian nut
    490R neck humbucker
    498T bridge humbucker
    Volume, Volume, Tone, Tone controls
    Gold top hat knobs with inserts
    3-way pickup selector
    TonePros Kluson-style tuners
    Tune-O-Matic bridge/stopbar tailpiece
    Gibson gig bag

50's Neck ?
Personally, I hate the 50's necks. They're too fat & hard to play. That being said, if you have larger hands than I do, that probably wouldn't be an issue. The thicker neck may also engender greater sustain and better tone.

Baked Maple. Usually "baked" is something best applied to pies, but maple is a good wood for fretboards, and maple for the top will of course brighten the tone & perhaps make it more lively.

Chambered body. With semi-hollow bodies and chambered guitars one tends to get more of a Rock'n'roll sound than with pure solid bodies. Since I love Rock'n'roll, that sounds like a good thing to me.

I think speed knobs look a lot cooler than top hat knobs, but they can easily be replaced if you desire.
I don't like satin finishes, either, but when you're trying to save money, you have to compromise somewhere.
The pups aren't vintage style pups, but they sound really good, so-.

Looks like I'm the wrong guy to talk you out of that guitar- sorry, but it sounds pretty cool to me.

As always, if you can get it used, in like new condition, and save a few hundred dollars, that makes it even sweeter, right ?

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

Worthless Willie

I would not buy that thing.  Gibson's quality control is all over the map these days.  Definitely would not order one sight unseen.

Like somebody said, save up the payments, and buy something used off of Craig's. 

Also, fuck a chambered body LP.  That shit is supposed to be solid.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

hashbrowns

Quote from: Worthless Willie on December 06, 2011, 11:26:21 PM
Also, fuck a chambered body LP.  That shit is supposed to be solid.

Yeah man. If I were to ever get a LP it would be for a heavy badass mahogany solid body. I think the signature paul sound just wouldn't be there unless it had a good thick heavy body.

RacerX

Tell that to Billy F. Gibbons.
Livin' The Life.