fixing a nut with CA (super) glue?

Started by justinhedrick, December 08, 2011, 09:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

long story shorty, a couple of strings buzz because nut nut is mere millimeters to short (it just started, so it must have happened bacause of the strings moving through the nut). i actually fixed the problem by putting a piece of paper from a string package in the nut slot.

now, i seem to remember some folks saying you can use CA glue to fix nuts like this.

thoughts???

Chovie D

same exact thing here. Ive heard this can be done but am womdering how myself. right now i have paper under my E string.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Chovie D on December 08, 2011, 11:25:22 AM
same exact thing here. Ive heard this can be done but am womdering how myself. right now i have paper under my E string.

i need to put paper under 1 of my high e strings on my 9 string as well. i just really don't want to shell out the $40 to have a new nut cut, if i can fix it with $2 worth of glue.

Chovie D

its probably worht the $50 to me to get a new nut. Im just too lazy to bring it in.

RacerX

"Nut slots too deep: Take a course file and file the top of the nut 1/2 the distance you want to raise the slots. Catch the filings on a piece of paper. Tape both sides of the nut with masking tape and then fill the slots with the filings. Soak the filings with thin superglue. Press into place with a toothpick. When dry, refile the slots. The slots should be made so the string sits in about 1/2 to 3/4 their diameter. Slots should be wider, and taper downwards on tuner side. Square slots are acceptable."

http://www.skguitar.com/SKGS/sk/repairtips.htm
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

"Take a course file and file the top of the nut 1/2 the distance you want to raise the slots."

i dont understand what the very first sentence means? run a file across the entire top  of the nut?  ???

justinhedrick

Quote from: Chovie D on December 08, 2011, 01:27:55 PM
"Take a course file and file the top of the nut 1/2 the distance you want to raise the slots."

i dont understand what the very first sentence means? run a file across the entire top  of the nut?  ???

that's exactly what i took it as . . . after reading this, the paper will work just fine for me for the time being.

RacerX

Quote from: Chovie D on December 08, 2011, 01:27:55 PM

Yeah, if you need to raise the slots 1/4", you'd file 1/8" off the top. Think about it: any nut material above the string top isn't doing jack, so you take some of it, mix it w/ superglue, and pack the mixture into the slot(s), let dry, then file.
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

holy crap, if i ever needed to raise my nut a full 1/4 inch, id get a new nut. I think we are talking more aboot  micrometer measurements here..like .3 mm and shit.

the nut material that is above the string level , at least in my mind, prevents the strings from popping out of the grooves when i bend strings especially that high E, id be nervous shaving that down too much.
This is a job for a pro it sounds like.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

Quote from: Chovie D on December 08, 2011, 02:52:19 PM
holy crap, if i ever needed to raise my nut a full 1/4 inch, id get a new nut. I think we are talking more aboot  micrometer measurements here..like .3 mm and shit.

the nut material that is above the string level , at least in my mind, prevents the strings from popping out of the grooves when i bend strings especially that high E, id be nervous shaving that down too much.
This is a job for a pro it sounds like.

Dude, I was just picking an easy conversion. If you need to raise the slot depth .4 mm, you'd file off .2 mm.

Anyway, you wanna buy a new nut? Leave the paper in? Go for it.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

Just go out and buy a three dollar blank. File from it, use the dust and water thin CA, fill the slot. Use old string to fit the newly filled slot to a set of new strings. Non-wound strings, use needle files or something.'

It's really easy.

Or, just take all the strings off, and shim below the nut.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 08, 2011, 03:28:09 PM

didn't even think about that.

RAGER

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 08, 2011, 03:28:09 PM
Just go out and buy a three dollar blank. File from it, use the dust and water thin CA, fill the slot. Use old string to fit the newly filled slot to a set of new strings. Non-wound strings, use needle files or something.'

It's really easy.

Either one of these or a comb. of the two is how I work it.
No Focus Pocus

Mr. Foxen

Plastic chopstick can provide good material, imitation bone/ivory and all, put it against the nut and file straight into the nut slot, then drop on thin glue to the pile in the slot. Bone dust works better apparently.