Main Menu

synths

Started by mortlock, December 09, 2011, 12:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

who couldnt have fun with this..

buchla synth..

Discö Rice

I would kill a man's mother in front of her mother for that.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

mortlock

ive gotten way into playing synth lately..havent touched my bass in awhile..

Isabellacat

Rad  :)  Goin' Geddy Lee style circa Signals Mort?

I love that album when it comes to that old synth sound. Who else.... Don Airey's synths on Never Say Die are awesome too.

liquidsmoke

Yowza. How do you make riffs with that thing? Where are the keys?

Saw a band a couple weeks back without a bass player. Keyboard player had 2 keyboards and was doing super realistic bass lines on one of the keyboards. I was very impressed. You could have a dude doing basslines and making '70s Hawkwind synth type sounds at the same time by himself. Or herself.

spookstrickland

I've never been too into the sound of synths but I would sure love to have some one in my band playing an old Vox Continental Organ and one of them Fender Bass keyboards like Ray from the Doors.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Isabellacat

Quote from: mortlock on December 09, 2011, 12:30:11 AM
who couldnt have fun with this..

buchla synth..

I gotta say tho....that looks like some Keith Emerson shit right there lol.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: liquidsmoke on December 09, 2011, 02:42:13 AM
Yowza. How do you make riffs with that thing? Where are the keys?

Saw a band a couple weeks back without a bass player. Keyboard player had 2 keyboards and was doing super realistic bass lines on one of the keyboards. I was very impressed. You could have a dude doing basslines and making '70s Hawkwind synth type sounds at the same time by himself. Or herself.
Hawkwind's first synths didn't have keys, they had an EMS with a joystick, and some lab equipment.

I have a pic here of Del and DikMik in a book, need to snap it and post it.

Huh, they have the add-on keyboard in this pic (same pic as in my book)

mortlock

Quote from: Isabellacat on December 09, 2011, 01:42:43 AM
Rad  :)  Goin' Geddy Lee style circa Signals Mort?

I love that album when it comes to that old synth sound. Who else.... Don Airey's synths on Never Say Die are awesome too.
not quite..more like wolf eyes meets stockhausen kinda shit..

jibberish

the integrated new version of the prophet 5 is the shit. called the prophet 8. has digital stuff to keep the analog stuff in tune and other more convenient to do digitally stuff. :)

demo of the P8. this slays.....dude shows it off nicely..sooo phattt

the old P5. these guys just slo motion dicking around is wicked.

Isabellacat

liquidsmoke

I could have bought a MicroMoog in the mid-90s for $300 but the guy at the store said they are hard to keep in tune so I passed on it. My friend bought the Juno 6 right next to it which he later sold to me. It was fun but the Moog would have been more fun.

Chovie D

when i was in grad school, i took a class on electronic music with one of the guys who made the first moogs, i cannot remember his name.
I wanted to mess around with these synths (or at least learn about them) but all the Prof did was tell boring stories about himself and robert moog. I never even got to touch a synth and dropped the class midway thru.

That prophet sounds amazing.
not to be all hipster and go all radiohead on yo asses but i really dig this early electronic instrument (synth?)
The ondes martinot. dig the crazy extension speakers with weird reso pans and sympathetic string and stuff...

Hemisaurus

Depending on what you want from the synth, if you want something with a keyboard that's one story, if you just want something to make crazy analog noises with, that you can control via knobs and footpedals, you can build those from kits and stuff for fairly cheap. There's a few places do kit synths, have a google.

For extra fun, turn on the Audio Transcription of this vid. never knew gay marriage was part of synthesizer instruction.

moose23

I have a drone lab and a couple of home made oscillators. Synthist in our band rocks a Moog Little Phatty, sounds amazing.

gnombient

I'd love to get my hands on that Buchla system, even more so than Del's VCS3.  I have a humble little Blacet/MOTM modular system (about 20 modules) that I use to treat acoustic sounds and make space noises and drones, but it's nothing compared to the glory of the Buchla. 

Analog modular synths rule!

Hemisaurus

I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned the Korg Monotron, the new duo is going for $40-50 I think.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/416980.html

apekillman

How do analog synths go out of tune?

Hemisaurus

Temperature causes oscillator drift, that's why crystal oscillators were such a boon, crystals are fairly stable over a wide temperature range.

Hemisaurus

As the components (resistors, capacitors, transistors) in old style synths get warm, they change value slightly, this changes the pitch of the oscillator and puts the synth out of tune. Stage lighting, weather, or the unit warming up after being on for a while, all can cause this.

jibberish

^ ya now they lock the analog sound-making components to a crystal frequency (digital clock) and processor which can hold the analog stuff in tune.   

I believe this truly IS the best of both worlds. nothing is phattt like analog synth. but all the administrative bullshit can be made digital and solid.

mortlock

two of my all time favs..

clockwork green

I have the original monotron and the newer monotribe...both fucking awesome fun. I'll probably never use it live and I doubt I'll record with it but great, portable fun.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"