Favorite Foreign Cuisines ?

Started by Isabellacat, December 13, 2011, 10:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isabellacat

I think mine would have to be Japanese with Italian coming in a close second.

I LOVE Japanese food. Only problem is that it's too expensive. I also love Indian food....Chicken Curry with Naan bread is the bomb.

What's your fave?

Isabellacat

mortlock

all things mexican. the food, the beer and of course..the tequila..
..and the women..not that they are an afterthought, but it involves a whole different 'dining' experience.. 

I,Galactus

Mediterranean for me, mainly becuase it's so varied.  Greek/Turkish/Morrocan/Lebanese... it's all good! Don't have any readily available though... :(

I just recently learned that I really like Indian food and that there's some really good restauarants and buffets locally.  I had some spinach goat curry a few weeks ago that blew my mind.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

The Shocker

khoomeizhi

thai, indian, and ethiopian all rank pretty high for me.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

NCR600

In Australia, all food except bits of shit steak and shit sausages cremated on a fire are foreign.

Most Asian and European cuisines are pretty popular (and good) here due to the massive migrant population. I like Mexican food, but mostly the Mexican restaurants here are shit, because there are fuck all Mexicans here.

Quite like Morroccan and African food too, but again, there aren't many Africans here so it can be hard to find.

RAGER

Mexican and Italian for the simplicity

French and Indian for the complexity.
No Focus Pocus

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

NCR600

Quote from: RAGER on December 15, 2011, 01:39:34 PM

I'd rank most (but not all) Mexican along with Indian for complexity, and provincial French (and Spanish) alongside Italian for simplicity. I've been spending a lot of time doing French provincial stuff lately and have been very suprised by the lack of herbs and spices used. You can do a lot with a rabbit, salt, pepper, onion, carrot, and cream!

Isabellacat

Quote from: khoomeizhi on December 15, 2011, 06:01:14 AM
thai, indian, and ethiopian all rank pretty high for me.

I've tried Ethiopian once, it was really good. Kinda reminded me of Indian food a bit the way they cook the spices in and the bread they use is similar to naan.

I was once a waitress at an Indian/Pakistani restaurant in Newark ,CA back in 2007. To say the least, it was perhaps one of the most interesting jobs I've ever had. At the end of the day ,I had dibs on alot of free food and booze. My boss was a bit of a perverted ass tho, but the food was really incredible. I've sampled lots of dishes at that job. Goat Head Curry was really interesting although a bit gamey, but my fave will always be the Chicken Curry with garlic Naan bread.

RAGER

Quote from: NCR600 on December 16, 2011, 05:11:39 AM
Quote from: RAGER on December 15, 2011, 01:39:34 PM

I'd rank most (but not all) Mexican along with Indian for complexity, and provincial French (and Spanish) alongside Italian for simplicity. I've been spending a lot of time doing French provincial stuff lately and have been very suprised by the lack of herbs and spices used. You can do a lot with a rabbit, salt, pepper, onion, carrot, and cream!

Interesting.  What are you cooking Mexican that is complex? Mexican is something I cook alot of.  My sister and her husband own a Mexican restaurant here in town.  He's from Mexico City.  I've learned alot from them over the last 20 years.  Lots of recurring ingredients.  The protein may change but....

French provincial is a really open ended term.  yes lots of cream in typical French cooking but what have you been preparing that is so simple?  Have you done a cassoulet with duck confit and sausage?  That's anything but simple.

I do agree with the Italian as simple food but up there with my favorites to prepare with a local flare of my own.  I like it simple and rough.  Similar to Mexican again with recurring ingredients.

Your'e from Oz right?  I hear that there are almost no Mexican restaurants in many places that have several cuisine choices.  I have a friend in Birmingham Midlands and she says the same thing.  Makes me think I could make a killing in these places selling tacos, tortas, sopes, and caldo de pollo.
No Focus Pocus

RageofKlugman

QuoteI've tried Ethiopian once, it was really good. Kinda reminded me of Indian food a bit the way they cook the spices in and the bread they use is similar to naan.

The few times I've tried it, I've really enjoyed Ethiopian food as well. The curries are delicious and I enjoy the weird bread/pancake thing that comes with it too. I think my favourite foreign cuisine would have to be Turkish though; I could eat those grilled kebabs every day of the week.

khoomeizhi

i made injera from scratch this past year (that's the sourdough pancakey ethiopian bread) - it's kickass, but i think my sourdough starter may have died since... i should get back into making wat more often again, too.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

NCR600

Quote from: RAGER on December 16, 2011, 11:29:29 AM

Interesting.  What are you cooking Mexican that is complex? Mexican is something I cook alot of.  My sister and her husband own a Mexican restaurant here in town.  He's from Mexico City.  I've learned alot from them over the last 20 years.  Lots of recurring ingredients.  The protein may change but....

French provincial is a really open ended term.  yes lots of cream in typical French cooking but what have you been preparing that is so simple?  Have you done a cassoulet with duck confit and sausage?  That's anything but simple.

I do agree with the Italian as simple food but up there with my favorites to prepare with a local flare of my own.  I like it simple and rough.  Similar to Mexican again with recurring ingredients.

Your'e from Oz right?  I hear that there are almost no Mexican restaurants in many places that have several cuisine choices.  I have a friend in Birmingham Midlands and she says the same thing.  Makes me think I could make a killing in these places selling tacos, tortas, sopes, and caldo de pollo.

I kind of lump the Indian and Mexican together in complexity because of the Mole. You make the Mole ahead of time and add meat at serving time, also cooked in it's own sauce, which is basically the concept used by every Indian restaurant everywhere, they make up a bunck of different sauces, a bunch of different meats cooked in their own sauces and mix them together as the orders come in. I tend to make may own spice pastes, and not buy them, although you can buy lots of good Indian spice pastes ready made here. Lots of the Mexican stuff is pretty easy though, although I'm cooking Mexican from books, and not getting to actually eat good stuff. One of the reasons I started  seriously cooking years ago is because I was sick of going to restaurants and leaving with the feeling I could do it better. If you wanted to start a decent Mexican out here, you bbetter get in quick, it's the latest trendy thing. There's a few places started up claiming to be 'Authentic' Mexican, although they're the sort of of places that have a DJ playing chill out music and have hipster waiters, so how authentic can they be?

The French stuff I'e been doing has mostly been Normandie Cuisine, mostly because I'm obsessed with Norman Ciders and Calvados lately. Did a wild rabbit in a sauce made with cider, carrots, onions, peas and cream the other night that was pretty good, although next time I might use far less cream and maybe add some chunks of apples. It was the first time I'd used that recipe and it needs a little development!

I'd be interested to hear some of your Mexican recipes.

RAGER

some spanish cheeses some bread i baked and some smoked turkey

No Focus Pocus

mortlock