Main Menu

Live Vocal Mic's?

Started by clockwork green, December 19, 2011, 06:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork green

I really don't feel like going to a Guitar Center and singing acapella while testing vocal mic's but it seems like all of the people I talk to on some other sites say that's what I'll need to do because a mic needs to fit the tonality and power of the person's voice.  Right now I'm just using an SM57 because it's what I have around for recording guitars.  It's okay but not great...kinda makes me sound like I have a cold and I've heard that a 58 is essentially the same electronically.  What do you use?  What won't freak out at huge stage volumes?  My old singer used a Beta 58 and that seemed cool but it's not around any more.  I figure a condenser won't handle our stage volume.  A lot of folks seem to like the EV mic's but I've heard they're fragile (fra-gee-lay, that must be Italian). 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Hemisaurus

58 is the dame capsule and electronics, but the design of the body gives a presence peak which is popular for vocals. Shure have graphs on their website.

I personally dig a 57, I like a mic I can swallow.

Discö Rice

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

apekillman

Ever see the video of some German piano player that gets a 57 knocked down his throat?

SpaceTrucker

Whatever the who used at live at leeds is what I want.

jibberish

i also specifically got myself a 57 for my vocal style.  the 58 has additional construction to prevent that close in overload potential. i need the extra gain for hitting really low notes when i sing those since i cant do them at the same volume as the rest.   

Plus you can use them for all mic'ing (maybe not kick), sound guys know that mic and it has a huge history so actually we all know what it sounds like.

Hemisaurus

no, it works for kick too, has better response than some dedicated kick mics you find in kits.

cat shepard

Ever take the transformer out of 1? I didn't do it myself but I have used what I believe was a tranformerless 57 on kick and it had more bottom end response (pardon my verbage man), than a standard in an a-b testing scheme. I bet it would work nice to try an in-out combo with transformer and transformerless for vintage thickness maybe. Beta 57 is an excellent vox mic I have found in situations that the donator of signal into the mic has a sense of relativity in terms of how to "use" the mic, as it has a tight pickup pattern.  Beta 58 can really help cut the vox through it can be slightly difficult to manage in extreme volumes though nothing a little eq maintenance can't solve by trimming back some of the peaks that the beta family seems to provide in the chirpy areas.

inductorguitars

Quote from: cat shepard on December 19, 2011, 11:10:30 PM
Ever take the transformer out of 1? I didn't do it myself but I have used what I believe was a tranformerless 57 on kick and it had more bottom end response (pardon my verbage man), than a standard in an a-b testing scheme.

Did the transformerless weigh a shit ton less than the regular one?
You'd need some electronics to get the capsule/mic have balanced output.

Hemisaurus

There was some article on prosound and tape-op about removing the transformer to open up the sound, just wire the capsule to the XLR, but it decreases the output level. Wouldn't be a smart move for live sound.

I have removed the transformer from a 57, but that was one with a buggered capsule, I moved the xfmr into the gas mask.

RAGER

Quote from: clockwork green on December 19, 2011, 06:34:40 PM
I really don't feel like going to a Guitar Center and singing acapella while testing vocal mic's but it seems like all of the people I talk to on some other sites say that's what I'll need to do because a mic needs to fit the tonality and power of the person's voice.  Right now I'm just using an SM57 because it's what I have around for recording guitars.  It's okay but not great...kinda makes me sound like I have a cold and I've heard that a 58 is essentially the same electronically.  What do you use?  What won't freak out at huge stage volumes?  My old singer used a Beta 58 and that seemed cool but it's not around any more.  I figure a condenser won't handle our stage volume.  A lot of folks seem to like the EV mic's but I've heard they're fragile (fra-gee-lay, that must be Italian).  
What are you gonna use it for?  If it's just for practice and shows then I think you're over thinking things.  Just get a 58 or 57. If your stage volume is that loud then you're not gonna notice shit for difference.
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

Quote from: Hemisaurus on December 19, 2011, 09:47:55 PM
no, it works for kick too, has better response than some dedicated kick mics you find in kits.

ahhh...so a gig case full of 57's=GTG then.

RacerX

For high volume situations, the Audix OM-7 rules: low output + super-hyper-cardoid pattern. Pricey, but if you're loud & practice in a small space, well worth it. Shure SM57/58s would be making banshee-level feedback in our practice space.
Livin' The Life.

Pundan

I've read that the SM58 Beta is better for louder volumes, won't produce feedback as easily - any truth to that?
And has anyone tried out this ribbon microphone? It's gotten great reviews: http://www.thomann.de/se/superlux_r102.htm

chille01

I didn't click the link, but most ribbon mics are extremely fragile.  I wouldn't encourage anyone to use one as a gigging mic.

lordfinesse

I would suggest looking at an EV PL80. I'm not a fan of most EV vocal mics, but this one actually sounds really good, and at $80 brand new, is not very expensive. The times that I've mixed one, I was able to run the channel eq flat (which rarely happens with a vocal mic). In those cases, it cut through the mix just fine. I can't speak for durability, but as long as you're not slamming it on a stage, it should be fine... (wait... you don't play in one of those skinny jeans screamo bands, do you?..)  As far as 58's go (Beta or not), yeah they're durable, but you'll be hearing cymbals and everything else around you as their rejection leaves a lot to be desired.

As someone suggested, an Audix OM7, or the easier to find used at a reasonable price OM3, may be worth looking into, and are solid well built mics. Please let us know what you end up going with.
Billy Squier 24/7

Chovie D

It would be pretty funny to go into Guitar Center and (as poorly as you possibly can) audtion vocal mics at the top of your lungs.  :D

spookstrickland

My Personal choice is the Shure SH55 Elvis Mic.

I love that thing.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Hemisaurus

As the main thing for a live vocal mic is noise/feedback-rejection, whereas for a studio mic it's tone, I think a fairer test would be to take each mic, and see how close you can get it to the PA speaker before it starts squealing. Then move it side to side to examine it's off-axis rejection.

I have never done this, I should add, I just use SM's but I think it would be hellishly funny to see in action. Taking mic after mic, making them squeal, watch the salesperson wince. To be really technical, you should probably take along a ruler, so you can compare them numerically ;)

justinhedrick

the audix vocal mic is awesome.  (i5, i think?) so much balls, good rejection. i have buddy that damn near swears by it.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: justinhedrick on December 21, 2011, 05:13:45 PM
the audix vocal mic is awesome.  (i5, i think?) so much balls, good rejection. i have buddy that damn near swears by it.
I don't get the i5, Audix design it as a '57 killer, and everyone swears it sounds as good as a 57, then they price it for more than a '57 ???

I love my '57 'cept it's Gzus's '57 and he took it back :'(

RacerX

Quote from: Hemisaurus on December 21, 2011, 05:41:43 PM
Quote from: justinhedrick on December 21, 2011, 05:13:45 PM
I don't get the i5, Audix design it as a '57 killer, and everyone swears it sounds as good as a 57, then they price it for more than a '57 ???

I love my '57 'cept it's Gzus's '57 and he took it back :'(

That's because it's far superior to a 57 in feedback rejection, but with similar tonal characteristics.
Livin' The Life.

rayinreverse

i used a 57 forever. then switched to the audix. much better mic in my opinion. seems to tolerate more. seems louder, clearer, and better sounding.

clockwork green

I'll probably just get a beta 58 for live stuff. I also have a Rode M2 which I got for $1 during some crazy sale they had and it's got nice tone.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"