Main Menu

Flavours of Riff Rock

Started by Hemisaurus, December 20, 2011, 04:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

I'm seeing four types of Riff Rock

• Uber Slow and Doomy like Sunn, Bong etc.
  • Faster, thrashier, High on Fire, Weedeater, Bongzilla
  • Classic 70's Rock, like Cream, Baltimore, Mountain
  • Psychedelic

Anyone want to argue for another subdivision? ;)

grimniggzy

I know that it would technically be covered under 70's Rock but thats pretty broad. I'd argue that psychedelic stuff ala Earthless could have its own subdivision.

justinhedrick

i would almost argue that high on fire and weedeater are in 2 different groups.

while i like the idea of trying to classify them, you are almost mixing qualitative and quantitative data (time frame and speed of their music, respectively).

also, i REALLY like that you spelled flavor with a "u".

let's continue with the Flavour Catalogue of Riff Rock. 

rayinreverse

There are only 2 categories.
Those that admit they're ripping off Black Sabbath, and those that dont.

Lock thread.

aowron

You're missing the fuzzy stuff, like Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Demon Cleaner, Dozer, Propane Propane etc. HEY, LET'S ONLY DISCUSS OBSCURE SWEDISH STONER ROCK BANDS WHICH STARTED WAY AFTER THE SCENE HAD FADED

Metal and Beer

Aside from this post, I'm not touchin' this one   ;)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Hemisaurus

Quote from: aowron on December 20, 2011, 04:56:34 PM
You're missing the fuzzy stuff, like Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Demon Cleaner, Dozer, Propane Propane etc.

category 2 - faster, thrashier ;)

yesca

idk causa sui and colour haze amongst other psychedelic stoner bands would prob be in there own little "sub genre" or whatever

chille01

What about the faster, less "stoner" more "party" stuff?  Bad Wizard, Cherry Valence, Humble Pie, AC/DC, ZZ Top, Nashville Pussy etc. etc.

Honestly, I try and use less categorization than more.  It's all rock and roll.

black

^I was thinking that too, as well as some of the more "Boogie" bands. Dixie Witch, SuperHeavyGoatAss, and Honkey come to mind.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

Chovie D

psychedelic

edit: sorry grmnigz, didnt see your post til now

Hemisaurus

Added psychedelic.

This is just for my own amusement, I get the feeling sometimes there are different factions on this board, it's interesting to try and place 'em.

cat shepard

at thrash shows I have passed out and missed complete songs and even sets. at weedeater I have passed out and barely missed them changing notes. Surely they can't be fast. Even at there fastest it's not fast. They are however maybe the greatest live band I have ever seen.

spookstrickland

I dig the last two categories.

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

hashbrowns

I dig all the categories but I like to play slow ass shit the best. Ultimate riff worship like weedeater or electric wizard on we live.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

The Shocker

You forgot about Southern, which is similar to 70's, but with a different flavour.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: cat shepard on December 20, 2011, 06:45:22 PM
at thrash shows I have passed out and missed complete songs and even sets. at weedeater I have passed out and barely missed them changing notes. Surely they can't be fast. Even at there fastest it's not fast. They are however maybe the greatest live band I have ever seen.
Dunno, this Weedeater track is about 74, anything faster than 40 seems kinda fast.

VOLVO)))

Im not sure I approve of a real music thread on SRL.com.

I wouldn't say we have factions, but I would say that a fair amount of us have similar and dissimilar taste in music. General enough for ya?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 20, 2011, 07:39:40 PM
Im not sure I approve of a real music thread on SRL.com.

I wouldn't say we have factions, but I would say that a fair amount of us have similar and dissimilar taste in music. General enough for ya?
Eh, real music, is this another of your droid autocorrects?

I'm just curious, because if I categorise my own tastes, I can find other bands I might like, theres a lot of stuff people here dig, that I don't. You ever use those online things like Pandora or spotify, most of it's recommendations are pish.

Lumpy

Trad. Sludge (Sourvein, Molehill etc)
Fast Riffnroll (Zeke, Saviours etc.)
Noise rock (amrep, unsane etc)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

VOLVO)))

What dont you like, Herb?

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 20, 2011, 08:07:37 PM
What dont you like, Herb?

That's a long list  ;)

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

grimniggzy

mawso

Quote from: Hemisaurus on December 20, 2011, 05:25:42 PM
Quote from: aowron on December 20, 2011, 04:56:34 PM
You're missing the fuzzy stuff, like Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Demon Cleaner, Dozer, Propane Propane etc.

category 2 - faster, thrashier ;)

i think if you're gonna call kyuss or fu "fast" or "thrashy" then you've lost all reference point