Main Menu

Flavours of Riff Rock

Started by Hemisaurus, December 20, 2011, 04:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grimniggzy

core9

Quote from: rayinreverse on December 20, 2011, 04:47:44 PM
There are only 2 categories.
Those that admit they're ripping off Black Sabbath, and those that dont.

Lock thread.

I admit it!!

Hemisaurus

Quote from: mawso on December 20, 2011, 09:48:46 PM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on December 20, 2011, 05:25:42 PM
Quote from: aowron on December 20, 2011, 04:56:34 PM
You're missing the fuzzy stuff, like Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Demon Cleaner, Dozer, Propane Propane etc.

category 2 - faster, thrashier ;)

i think if you're gonna call kyuss or fu "fast" or "thrashy" then you've lost all reference point
You missed my reference, anything above 40bpm is fast. ;)

Otherwise how can I listen to my slower music.

OK maybe 60bpm, tap it out.

liquidsmoke

Blue Cheer/Cream/Hendrix worship
Black Sabbath worship
Motorhead/Slayer worship
Thin Lizzy/Iron Maiden worship
'90s stoner rock
'70s rock
southern rock
party rock
sludge
noise rock
heavy prog
drone
we just rock rock

Something like that. Some bands mix various styles together. I probably left out a few categories.

VOLVO)))

The thing about that Lizzy/Maiden worship deal... I'd put Crowbar into that category. Kirk harmonizes ALL OVER Crowbar albums, and they are most certainly ~the~ sludge band. So it's really hard to add such a constraint to it.

That's why I never understood all of the The Sword hate, they're just a throwback band. They just happened to catch a spot in a bullshit video game, and make some money. As far as I'm concerned, they made it, and I haven't noticed a style change from them. Perhaps its a little more groovy, less whatever they had in the beginning, but it's still The Sword.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

hashbrowns

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 20, 2011, 11:53:54 PM
That's why I never understood all of the The Sword hate, they're just a throwback band. They just happened to catch a spot in a bullshit video game, and make some money. As far as I'm concerned, they made it, and I haven't noticed a style change from them. Perhaps its a little more groovy, less whatever they had in the beginning, but it's still The Sword.

I agree with you completely sunn. I think the hate comes from the fact that they're young guys who haven't been in the scene long and they managed to get with the guitar hero shit and through that tour with Metallica. I've always disliked the whole punk attitude that is so prevalent in underground music circles. It's one thing if they make an album thats obviously just mtv-ish radio pop rock bullshit but if a band doesn't alter their sound for commercial viability, I don't think there's anything wrong with achieving some success and fame.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

Chovie D

liquidsmoke

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 20, 2011, 11:53:54 PM
The thing about that Lizzy/Maiden worship deal... I'd put Crowbar into that category. Kirk harmonizes ALL OVER Crowbar albums, and they are most certainly ~the~ sludge band. So it's really hard to add such a constraint to it.

Quote from: liquidsmoke on December 20, 2011, 11:48:58 PM
Some bands mix various styles together.

;D

inductorguitars

I've been digging the sword lately. I really don't pay any attention to any main stream music press. Closest would be listening to Sound Opinions on NPR _if_ they are talking about something good. (I hate Jim btw)

I'll throw 2 bands into the hat

Circle
and Pharaoh Overlord. I for one welcome our new Finnish overlords.  8)

VOLVO)))

Why do the Scottish wear kilts?

Sheep can hear a zipper from miles away.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.