musicians: Victor Wooten's book "The Music Lesson"

Started by jibberish, December 24, 2011, 06:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

i believe this is a must read for everyone that has ever struggled with anything music-wise.  I am now not just a Victor fan, i'm a HUGE Victor fan.

jibberish

btw, happy and safe holidays to all our bros and sisters in music.

bass sic

My guitarist gave me that book two years ago for Xmas, and I'm sad to say I haven't even opened it. I'm gonna have to make it a point.

Mr. Foxen

Its kind of specific to the way Victor approaches music, but he totally has that approach down. He doesn't run many amps though does he?

cat shepard

His brother Reggie is like from another planet on gtr.

Ranbat

It is a great book. I've read it and it helped me change the way I view things musically.
Meh :/

crunkhero

It really is a great book! I got it from the library a few weeks ago and read it twice in a row.  I can't sum it up better than Tony Levin did: "...the Carlos Castaneda of music."
Thirty-five dollars and a six pack to my name.

jibberish

i already have been trying one of the things they talked about. the idea of hitting random unorganized notes.

man do i have a lot of handy go-to patterns that keep jumping in there.  it is work leaving all that out and just hitting random notes, but hitting them solid

RAGER

i already have been trying one of the things they talked about. the idea of hitting random unorganized notes.

That's called jazz
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

Quote from: RAGER on December 27, 2011, 01:24:27 PM

That's called jazz

heh.   i was going to call it "shredding". like how bb does it lol

jibberish

is reggie having fun or is reggie having fun. damn, he was having fun.  did you notice the led's in the fret markers that were on towards the end.  the control panel look on the guitar is crazy too. that's a lot of switches and knobs.

zachoff

No doubt Vic's got chops for days and is a super nice guy.  I just can't get into the music at all.  Really, there's not much solo/virtuoso stuff I can get into from anyone on any instrument.

cat shepard

Quote from: jibberish on December 27, 2011, 03:30:34 PM
is reggie having fun or is reggie having fun. damn, he was having fun.  did you notice the led's in the fret markers that were on towards the end.  the control panel look on the guitar is crazy too. that's a lot of switches and knobs.
he builds those guitars himself. by reggie for reggie or at least the electronics.

Ayek

Quote from: zachoff on December 27, 2011, 03:44:28 PM
No doubt Vic's got chops for days and is a super nice guy.  I just can't get into the music at all.  Really, there's not much solo/virtuoso stuff I can get into from anyone on any instrument.

I agree. Like when I first heard about Jaco and all the wonderful thing's he'd done. Got around to checking it out and I thought it was fucking awful. I'd seen a video of Victor and Reggie, too. Sure they're good at what they do, but I guess it's something I'll never 'get'.

cat shepard

I don't get it either. One day I went to work and had to produce a concert for these guys, had no idea what it was and my jaw literally hit the floor. They gave me that book and I read it. Never re-read it and never listened to them again, until I saw this thread. Crazy stuff, i play bar chords on two strings and use my pinky for one of the two notes.

zachoff

Quote from: Ayek on December 28, 2011, 07:13:53 AM
Quote from: zachoff on December 27, 2011, 03:44:28 PM

I agree. Like when I first heard about Jaco and all the wonderful thing's he'd done. Got around to checking it out and I thought it was fucking awful. I'd seen a video of Victor and Reggie, too. Sure they're good at what they do, but I guess it's something I'll never 'get'.

I've seen Vic & Reggie and those guys are pretty phenomenal live but they don't really play "songs" as much as they just jam.  Vernon Reid opened up and came out and played with them too and it ruled.  Still, I have a couple of his albums and haven't listened to them in years.

Ayek

I like me some jamming, just not into blatant... wankery, for lack of a better word. Haven't heard any of Vernon Reid's solo stuff. I dig what he did with Living Colour.

jibberish

Quote from: Ayek on December 29, 2011, 04:08:55 PM
I like me some jamming, just not into blatant... wankery, for lack of a better word. Haven't heard any of Vernon Reid's solo stuff. I dig what he did with Living Colour.

good call. all i said was reggie was having fun. heh. didnt want to insult the reggie fans just because i wasnt really into the long wankfest either.  sure is cool watching him fuck around though. lots of tricks, but wont hold up in the long run for me either.