Main Menu

New Gibson basses

Started by bbottom, December 26, 2011, 02:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

What do you guys think of these? Are they worth what they cost?

I had an old SB350 a bunch of years ago and loved that freaking bass. I really wish that I had never sold it.  That being said I am on the fence about buying another Gibson.
Ideally I'd like to get an old EB3 but they cost way to much so I've been looking at the new "SG" basses but have zero experience with them. Thoughts?

crunkhero

The SG basses are good, but the neck pickup is nothing like the original mudbucker.  It's a TB Plus pickup that's been reworked to fit under the chrome cover.  Most people would say that it's a more useable sound than the original.

A new standard model is about $1400.  I've seen mid to late 70's EB3s going for under that.
Thirty-five dollars and a six pack to my name.

bbottom

Quote from: crunkhero on December 26, 2011, 07:57:30 PM
The SG basses are good, but the neck pickup is nothing like the original mudbucker.  It's a TB Plus pickup that's been reworked to fit under the chrome cover.  Most people would say that it's a more useable sound than the original.

A new standard model is about $1400.  I've seen mid to late 70's EB3s going for under that.

It looks like they have an SG series with thinner paint that seem to go for like $500 less than the standards. As far as I can tell the paint seems to be the only difference... am I missing something?

mortlock

id take a new gibson over an epiphone for that price..500 hundred less puts you in epi territory..the vintage stuff is the best but its also out of most peoples price range..take what gibson you can..at least its not an epi..

crunkhero

Quote from: bbottom on December 26, 2011, 11:00:49 PM
Quote from: crunkhero on December 26, 2011, 07:57:30 PM

It looks like they have an SG series with thinner paint that seem to go for like $500 less than the standards. As far as I can tell the paint seems to be the only difference... am I missing something?

The only difference between the Standard and Faded models is the amount of time put into the finish.  About half the cost of a lacquered instrument is in the labor involved in finishing it. 

Buy the faded model and play the shit out of it.  It'll look vintage in no time.
Thirty-five dollars and a six pack to my name.

zachoff

I couldn't play an EB-3 live.  Neck dives way too much & I'm usually the first one to spout out "buck up, pussy, and just play it" but man... Holding that neck up for 4+ minutes is sucky.  I imagine the V is similar.  The LP is rad though & I can't believe they have a Novoselic sig RD.  That, my friends, is grasping at straws.