laney aor 100w head....$300

Started by kirky, December 29, 2011, 08:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirky

says its in excellent condition....

should i snap it up?

fallen

Probably.

I saw a white one for $500 and semi regret not getting it. Sleep tone.

Metal and Beer

Yeah. 300 snaps for a British 100W tube amp in 2011-12 is a good deal...
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

core9

Without a doubt man.  Make sure it a series 1 though.  The series 2 are reportedly not so reliable.
I have owned 3 of those, and for the money they are great, a little harsh in the top mids and highs but with some tweaking it's doom city.

Hemisaurus

Go for it, you can still get the parts if you need them, I think Hohner is the US distributor.

hashbrowns

Do it man. Those things are fucking killer. Plus they're good for bass too cause they have that bass boost push pull thing in the eq. The new bass player from high on fire uses an aor to get his grit and it sounds sweet. I saw the sword in new york and kyle was using one and that thing fucking SLAYED.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

Iron Mtn

Hell yes you better get it! I had the 50 watter and had it not been for me getting a chance to buy a Sunn Model T at the time, I would of never sold that baby!!!!

Hemisaurus

Proper made amps, with the pots and tubes and switches mounted on the chassis, not on a PCB ;D

kirky

well, the guy is supposed to drop it by my work tomorrow....hopefully he wont flake.

hashbrowns

Quote from: kirky on December 29, 2011, 11:39:08 PM
well, the guy is supposed to drop it by my work tomorrow....hopefully he wont flake.

Congrats you're headed to doom city.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

SpaceTrucker

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

kirky

Oh yeah!!!! It's a series one with 6 knobs....great condition.... The guy told me it was a newer  8 knobs...
He probably thinks that's better....

yesca

mines an 8 knobber with the boost on the eq. I've never played on a 6 knob aor but im sure it sounds rad!

bitter

Unless there's an in-between model I'm unaware of, both the 6 and 8 knob models have the eq boosts.

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

moose23

Hemisaurus

Max Tone

I am willing to do this mod (on any amp), for anyone who is willing to dare. ;D

clockwork green

If I ever made an amp I'd only have a volume control like my champ. There seems to be something special about the simpler (read: fewer knobs and single channel) amps.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

kirky

I had a blackface champ....miked thru a p.a. It's still the best sound I've ever heard....

SpaceTrucker

Hemi u mean the push pull boosts?

Hemisaurus

Quote from: clockwork green on January 01, 2012, 11:53:56 AM
If I ever made an amp I'd only have a volume control like my champ. There seems to be something special about the simpler (read: fewer knobs and single channel) amps.
It wouldn't be too much effort to fit a couple of switches, one to bypass the tone stack, the other to bypass the master volume. It would radically alter the response of the amp, as a tone stack is between about 10 - 20dB of loss, so it would break up faster. Depending on the coupling caps used in the rest of the amp, it might give you more bass, it might not.
Quote from: SpaceTrucker on January 01, 2012, 02:42:08 PM
Hemi u mean the push pull boosts?
No I mean removing all amp controls, either permanently, or by method of adding a bypass switch.

mawso

Quote from: bitter on December 31, 2011, 12:17:10 AM
Unless there's an in-between model I'm unaware of, both the 6 and 8 knob models have the eq boosts.

There's a "Laney Pro-Tube" which doesn't say "AOR series" on the bottom corner of the faceplate that doesn't have the boosts.  I don't think it's an in-between model though, i think it predates the 6 knob AOR.  Or maybe they were issued concurrently, I don't know.

bitter

Quote from: mawso on January 06, 2012, 08:55:08 PM
Quote from: bitter on December 31, 2011, 12:17:10 AM

There's a "Laney Pro-Tube" which doesn't say "AOR series" on the bottom corner of the faceplate that doesn't have the boosts.  I don't think it's an in-between model though, i think it predates the 6 knob AOR.  Or maybe they were issued concurrently, I don't know.

I'm guessing that's probably the original jcm 800 lawsuit clone? They added the boosts and later the series 2 AOR channel to differentiate from Marshall?
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan