Main Menu

Irrational band/music fears

Started by clockwork green, January 07, 2012, 06:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork green

So a few months ago my former band (the worship of silence) played our last show after a nearly 10 year run.  We've had a billion drummers and after having one stick around for a few years only to eventually have to move away we figured it was time to start over.  Well, the bass player and I were planning a side project while TWOS was still going but figured with our old drummer gone we should make that the priority project, especially since our singer joined Hammers of Misfortune a year or so back.  With this new project I'm planning on doing the singing...I've never sung in a band and have only really sung in front of girlfriend's usually while driving or that sort of thing.  We've been jamming with a drummer lately and he just get's what we're playing like no other drummer I've ever played with.  So many drummers just can't play slow....too many of them take a boring beat and play it in half time but this guy really gets where to embellish, how to swing things and how to play interesting, creative fills that keep everything moving without being busy.  On my end, I've been coming up with the best riffs I've ever written and the vocal melodies I have really strike me as something special.  The whole thing has a YOB/40-watt sunn/Torche/Sigur Ros vibe going.

The problem is that I'm so excited by it that I feel nervous.  I've been doing this too long to ever expect anything to work out like it should.  I don't think I'm scared that we'll go from 7 people at our shows to  really packing them in and maybe hitting a dozen paying fans or anything that crazy but it's like I might actually be in the band that I always wanted to be in and that scares me because I might ruin it and never get this chance. 

Anybody else have (or had) any irrational fears when it comes to your band or making music?  Shit that just isn't logical but it's also something you can't fully shake off? 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Discö Rice

I'd say if you're excited about something new to the point where you're nervous about failure you're on exactly the right track.

I'm in the same boat vocal-wise. I'm doing by best to stay brave about it, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared shitless.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

mortlock

yeah..that feeling is due to the fact that deep inside you know you got something special and you do not want it to get fucked up. anyone whos been a musician for a good length of time, understands the value of a great band/situation..for most of us they only come along a few times and most of the time we are left clawing our way in the trenches..never being totally happy but never giving up and at the end of the day..its all we really know how to do anyways..

that nervous energy will serve you in a good way..and it will turn into confidence with some time..

neighbor664

johnny problem

Clockwork, it seems to me you're in the best mental state possible.  Don't let the fears consume you, but keep them alive.