The best rock songs of all-time?

Started by GodShifter, January 11, 2012, 09:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GodShifter

What are some of your favorites or ones you think are the best ever?

I bring this up because I was just listening to Blue Öyster Cult's "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" and it's got to be top five, easily. For me, I think I'd probably put it at #1 of all-time. I recognize there might be better ones out there (Stones, Beatles, etc), but "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" gives me goosebumps every time I hear that classic guitar intro to the tune. It's just a magical tune and never, ever get tired of hearing it. I'd say that's probably the hallmark of a truly great rock n' roll tune; when you never get sick of listening to it.

CanookieWookie

I don't think I could pick a "specific" song as my fav. of all time.  Alot of what I listen to, depends on the day, moment etc....  for instance, I cannot get this song out of my head and have not been able to for a long time... one of my all time favs. 

fallen

Rock N Roll Hoochie Coo - Johnny Winter version. Has "rock" in the title, super rocking, lyrics about a band laying it down, amazing solo, super fun to play riffs, a guitar classic. I never get tired of that one.

GodShifter

I agree with "Rock N' Roll Hoochie Coo" but I prefer the Derringer version, myself.

For the Allman Brothers, it's probably "Midnight Rider" or "Whipping Post" for me.

CanookieWookie

Usually it is Dreams for me, when it comes to the Allmans, but it just depends on the day.  Alot of times I also go back to this song...

grimniggzy

The Shocker

kirky

The Shocker

Shit, how could I have forgotten this one?

Damocles74

Redditor Lucis Aeternae

MikeyT

I'm thinking there are hundreds, possibly thousands of great Rock songs...  

Like this one.
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

GodShifter

Yes, you're right, of course. Tons to pick from, obviously.

I was just thinking what really stands out when you think about the topic. "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" is a great tune, like I said, but after revisiting the BÖC catalog a lot lately, it's not even their best tune, so, suffice to say, it's not the greatest tune of all-time either.

But I still like it very, very much

MikeyT

^ Well, the fact that there are quite a few great Rock songs is not a bad thing, it's good.
There are lots of great Rock songs because it's a huge genre, and also a genre wherein artists have been encouraged (and expected) to write their own material. It's a great topic.

Quote from: fallen on January 11, 2012, 10:09:57 PM
Rock N Roll Hoochie Coo - Johnny Winter version. Has "rock" in the title, super rocking, lyrics about a band laying it down, amazing solo, super fun to play riffs, a guitar classic. I never get tired of that one.

Love Rock & Roll Hoochie Koo; both versions, but Rick Derringer's is my fave.

In the 70's guitarplayers here would sometimes judge each others' skill by how well each played 'R&R, HK'.
Maybe a little like the role 'HIDEAWAY' played in some parts of Texas.

MikeyT

The band pantomines and John actually sings along (you can hear the two vocals) with their incredible single, 'Born To Be Wild'. Just a snippet, but I thought it was pretty cool.

MikeyT

Another great song from Steppenwolf s/t.

A nice cover of same from the Pie.

Demon Lung

Sparkle Motion

"There ain't much difference between the man I wanna be and the man that I really am."

JimBob83

Excellent shout for Peter Green's incarnation of Fleetwood Mac, the Live In Boston albums are incredible.  This song is great (Melvins do a pretty good cover of it too)...

No Quarter by the Mighty Zep has also got to get a mention...

rayinreverse

Desertblues

(Don't Fear) The Reaper is still number one but this runs it a close second