Main Menu

More craigslist wtf!

Started by Hemisaurus, January 13, 2012, 08:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny G

I dunno M&B, might be worth it to jam with those guys just to give them a heart attack with your rig.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

jibberish

I never really looked at this thread before, but wow haha.
danny edit that comma out of your facebook url

rager's dude is amazing. I think the map says it all: lives on skidmore next to the hospital

M&B, what is exactly the trap in that ad? are they jockeying to scam onto good gear which they don't have?

dogfood is just upset at himself that he didn't think of the furniture for orange amps swapperooski first. [little girl snickerface pic goes here]

Danny G

Edited my link.

Enjoy!

If I get a wild hare up my ass I may go to my site and copy/paste the email he sent me.

Because, just, wow.

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

Danny G

Here is the initial email he sent me.

I had a session work ad titled "#5 Bassist 2013 Austin Music Awards avail for session work."

And titled my ad as such because it was feb and it was the last month until the next years readers poll results came out.

It's not a ranking musical merit, but just goes to show that enough people appreciate you and/or the band you play in enough to take the time to vote.

But he didn't see it that way:

From Bubba Rankin (if that is his real name. If so HAHAHAHA)

"# 5 best bass player in austin 2013 ?

c'mon man, you gotta be kidding, right ?

there's at least 10-15 that i don't even have to think hard about that will eat your lunch in a bass pissing contest.....only difference is they don't need the fake puffy ego bullshit that you need, to prove their chops.....they know who & what they are and those who know music & bass, know who they are

so, you got to #5 same way as you're trying now ? by recruiting votes on your facebook ?
Wow ! what a piece of work you are dude.....fake ego bullshit....just a shell of a human being....just like that ego swag you walk around with down there on 6th st, where you're too high & mighty to smile at, greet, acknowledge other musicians in other bands, as if they're lowly peons ?

get real bro
i don't who the fuck you think you are?

# 5 best bass player in austin 2013 ?  Nah !

# 1 best puffy ego bass player in austin 2013 ? Yup !"

VOLVO)))

Sounds like you have your own personal Don G.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

everdrone

I met up with Danny G, I have only great things to say about him!  definitely the opposite of whatever that other jealous dude said.

everdrone

almost all Craigslist ads provide me WITHOUT ANY OF THE FOLLOWING DETAILS:

1) THEIR MUSIC, ANY RECORDINGS AT ALL!!!
2) what the musician(s) look like
3) no videos for me to evaluate their stage presence
4) no ages listed
5) no details on transportation, what type of "pro gear", how many times a week they practice, what their realistic goals and contacts are
6) what zip code they are located in

(!!!)

liquidsmoke

Some of that stuff is probably best discussed through email after contact is made. I would feel weird putting all of that info on Craigslist.

How big of a deal is stage presence? Some people aren't interested in/good at looking like they are rocking out while they play.

RAGER

This weirdo posts several ads a week.  People occasionally post response ads about his persistence and futility.  Someone mentioned that he was the singer for Shit Finger which I'm assuming is Gold Finger as they have ties around here.  i know nothing about them but vaguely remember the name.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/muc/4414941457.html
No Focus Pocus

everdrone

Quote from: liquidsmoke on April 10, 2014, 12:27:19 PM
Some of that stuff is probably best discussed through email after contact is made. I would feel weird putting all of that info on Craigslist.

How big of a deal is stage presence? Some people aren't interested in/good at looking like they are rocking out while they play.

thanks for the feedback, I prolly need to rethink this as my thoughts seem to be going against the grain

it may be the way it is for a reason

RacerX

I'd suggest that, if stage presence is important to you and your bandmates, you might as well mention it up front.
Livin' The Life.

Jake

Well, I would totally be in a band with that guy. And by "be in a band with" I mean "have anus-tearing buttfuck sessions with."

poop.

Metal and Beer

That's the "Tequila-Infused Pork Explosions!!" guy, right? Was in Van Halen for a minute ?
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

BrianDamage

If you are worried about what musicians look like you might be a poser.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

everdrone

I already said I am rethinking what I posted.  My point was that someone within 40 miles of where you live posts and ad saying "this is my vision, I like these bands/genres and I am a good musician, no really" without saying they have any recordings of themselves or what have you;

and you therefore basically have to weed through a bunch of ads for "blind dates"!   ;D

Metal and Beer

The more info in the initial ad the better...how is sharing "too much" a bad thing exactly?

"Well, that's a lot of info, I dunno..."
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

everdrone

I was thinking about that, I mean I have my band name and music on soundcloud/soundclick/bandcamp/myspace/reverbnation/ and its not like tons are listening and will somehow pirate the name and songs, last craigslist ad I posted not much listen - count really

here is my current craigslist "draft", maybe I should take out the gear but its not like I am giving them my personal address in the ad and a lot of folks have 810s and rick4003s so...

constructive criticism on my draft of my craigslist ad is much appreciated :)

CLASSIC-ROCK/DOOM/SLUDGE BANDMATES NEEDED.  NO ILLEGAL DRUGS! (North Austin)
BASSIST available: Experienced, skilled, versatile, pro-equipment (Rick4003Jetglo, 810), transportation, age mid thirties, no kids, 9-6P job, good shape, not balding LOL!  Lets jam at Waveform rental rehearsal studios.  Ready to gig in Austin; lets gig at Red7, Dirty Dog Bar, RedEyedFly, and Headhunters.  Need DRUMMER, VOCALIST, and GUITARIST.  Here are my solo-project demos of various (((HEAVY))) genres, and my bio/photos/video:  

https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance
http://www.soundclick.com/earthalliance

EMAIL BACK WITH YOUR MUSIC AND INFO: at least a youtube cameraphone video or recording&photo of yourself and/or bandmates rocking out, so I know what you look like and your style of music, and your situation regarding pro-gear/transportation/rehearsal location/contacts.  NO ILLEGAL DRUGS! NO ILLEGAL ACTIVITY! I cannot afford a misdemeanor.  No beginner musicians, no flakes.  If you commit to a future rehearsal, jam or gig, then be there or be square.  
***************Thanks for reading/listening, and keep rockin!     \m/    Peace ***************
Tags: Psychedelic, drone, desert, fuzz, grunge, heavy metal, downtune, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Doors, Kyuss, blues rock, blues based rock, nu-metal, modern rock, hard rock, groove rock, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, drug free stoner rock.

BrianDamage

Is that no drug stuff sarcasm?
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

everdrone

I cant be around illegal activity, it is that simple.  not sarcasm.  no judgement, I just cant be around it and that is my personal situation.

mutantcolors

Specify that then, otherwise you're gonna get people asking/assuming it's a joke (or that you're a bit of a joker.)

everdrone

ok thank you friends for your help   :), I put the sentence: "This is not a joke, I cannot be around illegal activity."

RAGER

Just so you know, I would probably not respond to that ad. Too much about what I should look like rocking out. I'm a fuckin player. Shouldn't matter.

/Honest feedback
No Focus Pocus

everdrone

thanks man good call, I revised that aspect of it as I don't want to alienate a Tommy Iommi (he does not move around like Angus Young or anything)

here is my revised version, thanks all :)

CLASSIC-ROCK/DOOM/SLUDGE BANDMATES NEEDED.  NO ILLEGAL DRUGS! (North Austin)
BASSIST available: I am experienced, skilled, versatile, pro-equipment (Rick4003Jetglo, 810), transportation, age mid thirties, no kids, 9-6P job, good shape at 6'2'' 190 pounds, not balding.  Lets jam at Waveform rental rehearsal studios, etc.  Ready to gig in Austin; lets book gigs at Red7, Dirty Dog Bar, RedEyedFly, and Headhunters.  Need DRUMMER, VOCALIST, and GUITARIST.  Here are my solo-project demos of various (((HEAVY))) genres, and my bio/photos/video: 

https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance
http://www.soundclick.com/earthalliance

EMAIL BACK WITH YOUR MUSIC AND INFO: at least a youtube cameraphone video or recording&photo of yourself and/or bandmates, and your situation regarding pro-gear/transportation/rehearsal location/contacts.  No beginner musicians, no flakes.  If you commit to a future rehearsal, jam or gig, then be there or be square.  NO ILLEGAL DRUGS! NO ILLEGAL ACTIVITY! I cannot afford a misdemeanor.  This is not a joke, I cannot be around illegal activity.   
***************Thanks for reading/listening, and keep rockin!     \m/    Peace ***************
Tags: Psychedelic, drone, desert, fuzz, grunge, heavy metal, downtune, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Doors, Kyuss, blues rock, blues based rock, nu-metal, modern rock, hard rock, groove rock, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, drug free stoner rock.

------

black sabbath video with Iommi:

Jake

You seem to emphasize the more superficial aspects of the band experience (physical appearance, gear, the "cool" clubs in which want you want to be seen on stage) rather than general enthusiasm for having fun and making good music. If that's important to you, then by all means, keep it a priority. But I would perhaps pass over the ad, even though it may be right in my wheelhouse, musically. Sorry if that sounds overly sensitive or critical.

If I were to imagine the "ideal" ad that would cast the widest net for like-minded players, it might be something like this:

Bassist looking to join or form heavy band. Experienced, reliable, good gear, and enthusiastic. Check out some of my tunes, and if we're on the same page, let's have a beer and a conversation.

Tags:.............

During your consequential email exchanges, you could drop the NO WEED bomb, rather than in the ad itself. Because like it or not, it just screams no fun/buzzkill as it is in your ad.
poop.

everdrone

thanks brutha, it is true I just wanna make good music, I wish I did not have a weed bomb to drop, I will make some more changes, thanks for the help :)